Shingles - Worth the vaccination?

Korat88

A US friend living in Thailand mentioned that he is thinking about getting vaccinated against the condition. Test from the link below states "Prevention

Is a vaccine available to prevent shingles?

Two vaccines are available in the United States to reduce your chance of developing shingles and postherpetic neuralgia. One vaccine, Zostavax®, has been available since 2006. The second vaccine, Shingrix®, has been available since 2017. Shingrix is recommended as the preferred vaccine by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, a group of medical and public health experts.

Shingrix (recombinant zoster vaccine) is given as a two-dose shot in your upper arm. You should receive the second dose (shot) two to six months after receiving the first. Shingrix has been shown to be more than 90% effective in preventing shingles and postherpetic neuralgia. Its effectiveness remains above 85% for at least four years after receiving the vaccine.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/11036-shingles

Is this something that should seriously be considered (we are both over 50, and I am interested in knowing too), or not really much of a concern in Thailand? I don't think it is anything to do with where one lives in the world, but curious on the feedback from those who may have had the condition or the vaccine. Thank you.

Thanks for the replies so far. Seems like it is worth being vaccinated from the feedback. My friend's friends also gave similar feedback, hence the query.

Re: costs. I am sure Bumrungrad is a lot more than 1600 Baht if this place charges 5590 Baht. Went here for my Yellow Fever jab before traveling to Africa many years ago.

https://www.medconsultasia.com/vaccinations/

Shingrix is available in Pattaya...at Jomtien Pattaya Hospital. 

You need two shots (with a few weeks between shots).

The cost is approx  11,000 to 12,000 baht for the 2 shot vaccination.

This will be the cost (or more) at any hospital in Thailand.

Edited by couchpotato

1 hour ago, zakalwe said:

I got the vaccine because I heard from someone that got shingles that the pain was so bad that he begged doctors for opioids. 

I do not like pain.

vaccine after getting it, doctor said not very effective, been living with it for the past 4 years and your friend is correct, sometimes the pain is excruciating and unbearable

5 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

vaccine after getting it, doctor said not very effective, been living with it for the past 4 years and your friend is correct, sometimes the pain is excruciating and unbearable

The old vaccine Zostavax apparently was not that effective, but Shingrix is supposedly very good.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

The old vaccine Zostavax apparently was not that effective, but Shingrix is supposedly very good.

couldn't find it in Thailand, was advised to use one from Korea and decided not to take it, when the pain is unbearable I resort to Gabapatin before bed to allow sleeping

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

couldn't find it in Thailand, was advised to use one from Korea and decided not to take it, when the pain is unbearable I resort to Gabapatin before bed to allow sleeping

You mean can't find Shingrix in Thailand?  When was this?

Edited by couchpotato

Just now, Mavideol said:

correct

That's a strange statement. I don't know where you are looking. It has been available in Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiangmai and probably other places since 2023.

I had mine over a year ago in Pattaya, and could have also got it in Bangkok, but chose Pattaya.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Korat88 said:

Thanks for the replies so far. Seems like it is worth being vaccinated from the feedback. My friend's friends also gave similar feedback, hence the query.

Re: costs. I am sure Bumrungrad is a lot more than 1600 Baht if this place charges 5590 Baht. Went here for my Yellow Fever jab before traveling to Africa many years ago.

https://www.medconsultasia.com/vaccinations/

You were right, it's 16 thouasand baht for 2 injections!

Edited by proton
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I think it is that he couldn't find it, past tense.

He mentiops that he has been suffering post-herpetic neuralgia now for 4 years. So got shingles before Shingrix was available here.

For that matter it is still unavailable in most rural areas.

thank you for understanding, unfortunately many here, have a tendency, jumping to conclusions to fast, I did try Watanappat Hospital in Trang back in 2022 and was offered one from Korea

19 hours ago, couchpotato said:

That's a strange statement. I don't know where you are looking. It has been available in Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiangmai and probably other places since 2023.

I had mine over a year ago in Pattaya, and could have also got it in Bangkok, but chose Pattaya.

better read the posts in detail beforehand

Had two injections at the Ratchaphruek hospital in Khon Kaen

(May 27th and August 7th).
Each 6300 Baht.

There is older thread from October 2023 about it.
Some pricing and availability might be outdated:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1309662-shingrix-shingles-vaccine-available-in-thailand-now/

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1