Thai residents flooded with massive bills, demand monthly relief

webfact

resize_watern.webp

Residents of Bua Yai in Nakhon Ratchasima are fuming over eye-watering water bills running into tens of thousands of baht, courtesy of a two-year billing cycle enforced by Bua Yai Municipality. Furious locals are demanding an immediate switch to monthly billing to ease their financial strain.

Today, September 16, the story of 57 year old Busakorn Changkrian brought the issue into the spotlight. Presenting her monster bill to the media, Busakorn sought justice and relief. The offending document, issued by the Bua Yai Municipality’s Waterworks Department, slapped her with a staggering charge of over 11,595 baht accrued over two years.

Advertisements

Busakorn, who runs a humble eatery from a rented shophouse, explained her usage: water for washing dishes, laundry, and other daily essentials. Initially, municipal workers would diligently record and collect water usage fees every month. But for the past two years, no one showed up to take meter readings, leaving her bewildered and in the dark.

“I nearly fainted when I got a bill for two years’ worth of water usage totalling 11,595 baht. I don’t know where I’ll get the money to pay for this. The municipality must revert to monthly billing. Collecting fees every two years is a colossal financial burden.”

Busakorn recalled her attempts to get answers from the Provincial Waterworks Authority. Officials told her that residents were now expected to record their water usage and pay up accordingly. Confused by the sudden change and unsure how to accurately log her water consumption, Busakorn ended up with a crippling bill.

The shock bill has caused significant distress for Busakorn and other residents caught in the same bind. Many are living hand to mouth, and a sudden demand for a hefty sum of money is both impractical and overwhelming.

In response to this financial fiasco, Busakorn and her fellow residents are urging the Bua Yai Municipality’s Waterworks Authority to bring back monthly meter readings and billing. They argue this change is crucial for managing their finances effectively and avoiding future shock-and-awe billing experiences.

The tiny town of Bua Yai is boiling over, and desperate residents hope their voices will be heard loud and clear, demanding a fair and manageable billing system.

by Bob Scott

Source: The Thaiger 

-- 2024-09-17

news-footer-4.png

image.png

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, webfact said:

“I nearly fainted when I got a bill for two years’ worth of water usage totalling 11,595 baht. I don’t know where I’ll get the money to pay for this. The municipality must revert to monthly billing. Collecting fees every two years is a colossal financial burden.”

That depends entirely on how stupid you are. If you believe water is free and do not put away per month, let´s say 500 baht. Hell Yeah! Then you are stupid!

If you understand that water is not free, and put away 500 baht per month, you will not be stupid and there will not be a colossal bill that you can´t handle.

However, the municipality should definitely give a bill every month. If that is not possible, they should meet the people affected and at least setup a quarterly or 6 month billing cycle.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

How can the bill be correct ?

My water bill is higher than most in the Village , detached 3 bedroom house, Pond + water the garden every day, highest monthly bill 264 baht [normally around 230 baht], most of other are under 200 baht per month..   so 2 years would be 6,000 baht. tops.. 

so what sort or house has this person got + how many live there ?  sounds more like she owns a big Apartment block  ??  or maybe the water meter was changed  and some sort of mix up  ???

Edited by ignis

1 hour ago, ignis said:

How can the bill be correct ?

My water bill is higher than most in the Village , detached 3 bedroom house, Pond + water the garden every day, highest monthly bill 264 baht [normally around 230 baht], most of other are under 200 baht per month..   so 2 years would be 6,000 baht. tops.. 

so what sort or house has this person got + how many live there ?  sounds more like she owns a big Apartment block  ??  or maybe the water meter was changed  and some sort of mix up  ???

I think you missed the restaurant part.  She washes dishes clothes uses water to clean yeah it can add up quick.

But I do agree putting money aside would have been the best thing but that requires financial literacy and not counting on the government to bail her out.  We are going to see the same thing with personal debt.  I hope that whatever deL they come up with helps everyone and not just those that got into trouble due to lack of knowledge.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Not if you put away a little each month to cover the expected bill.

Clearly a corruption scheme.

The incompetence of the water authority who stopped monthly billing should be exposed as a dereliction of duty.

I live a 2 hour drive away and have only ever paid 250 baht a month for my village water supply.

3 bathrooms, washing machine on everyday, 5 inhabitants etc etc

It's a scam.

People cannot manage their finances. She was a businesswoman, to boot, running a restaurant. And she doesn't know how to budget, balance a budget, adjust her income and expenses accordingly? Unbelievable. It reminds me of Thais who bought a certain car brand, obviously happy with their purchase at the time. Later, the company changes its pricing, offering the same product cheaper. Suddenly the Thais who bought the product prior want a refund or some sort of financial compensation. Real world? What if the car company would have increased their prices? Would the same Thais have queued up at the cashier to pay the extra difference? Of course not. They are, mostly, financially immature and naive.