Prime Minister Starmer Defends Taking Donations Amid Criticism

Social Media

image.png

Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer has indicated that he will continue accepting donations from Lord Alli, a prominent Labour donor, despite controversy over clothing provided to his wife. The Prime Minister faced questions about gifts from the peer, including clothes and alterations for Lady Starmer following Labour's election victory in July. Starmer acknowledged receiving gifts but stated he would follow parliamentary rules regarding their declaration.

The Prime Minister’s actions have drawn scrutiny, as it is alleged that he failed to declare the donations within the required timeframe, breaching parliamentary regulations. The donations, including clothing and personal shopping services from Lord Alli, were not initially registered in the MPs’ interests, but Starmer made a late declaration after seeking advice from parliamentary authorities.

Lord Alli has been a longstanding supporter of Starmer, previously donating various items such as spectacles and accommodation. While questioned on the matter during a trip to Italy, Starmer downplayed the controversy, asserting that “all Members of Parliament get gifts” and emphasizing a distinction between declarations and corruption. He added, "The rules say, over a certain value, you’ve got to declare the gifts, so everybody can see what it was, how much it was, who it came from… that’s a good framework."

The Conservative Party has called for an investigation, with a formal request sent to the Parliamentary Standards Commissioner. Tory MP Daniel Greenberg raised concerns over Starmer's delayed declaration and referenced a report suggesting that Lord Alli, despite holding no formal government role, had been granted a temporary Downing Street security pass and played an influential role in key Cabinet appointments.

Starmer defended his actions, explaining that his team sought advice following the election on the proper procedure for declarations, and any delay was part of a “genuine and proper exercise.” He maintained that he had complied with all necessary rules and continued to argue that the issue at hand was one of transparency, not corruption. "There’s a massive difference between declarations and corruption," he told reporters.

Starmer also addressed his receipt of complimentary football tickets, which he has accepted more than 20 times during his time in Parliament. These included tickets to Arsenal matches, where he is a regular supporter. Starmer explained that due to security concerns, he cannot sit in the stands and therefore must accept hospitality. "Never going to an Arsenal game again because I can’t accept hospitality is pushing it a bit far," he remarked.

Foreign Secretary David Lammy defended the Prime Minister, arguing that donations helped ensure that Starmer and his wife could "look their best" while representing the country. Lammy compared the situation to that of the U.S., where presidents and first ladies are provided with a taxpayer-funded wardrobe. However, Starmer made it clear that he did not support such a system in the UK.

The matter continues to stir debate, with calls for clarity on the Prime Minister's future handling of donations and the broader issue of transparency within the government. Despite the backlash, Starmer insists he will follow the rules, stating, “Wherever there are gifts from anyone, I’m going to comply with the rules.”

Credit: Daily Telegraph 2024-09-18

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

Suppose the accusation is the hypocrisy - as did he fair bit of moaning about in opposition.

What does the guys who give him free stuff get out of it is the question?

If you look at all the big decisions ... Rishi Sunak made the rite call on most things. Economy looked to be improving, and now Labour may use Albania copying the Rawanda scheme. 

Edited by DonniePeverley
  • Like 2

Yet more hypocrisy from two tier Keir. I remember him slating the Tories for the same thing. 

Lammy of course backed him up, bemoaning the fact that UK taxpayers don't pay for it. Read the room David, you've just taken away pensioners fuel allowance. Politically inept and morally bankrupt. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/sep/15/david-lammy-pms-and-partners-rely-on-donors-to-help-them-look-their-best

image.png.004cdddb87dbbe79a44517ac4a25cd66.png

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Social Media said:

referenced a report suggesting that Lord Alli, despite holding no formal government role, had been granted a temporary Downing Street security pass and played an influential role in key Cabinet appointments.

I used to work for Waheed Alli (minor contractor for Planet 24) in the days when he financed New Labour and Tony Blair. Great guy, very generous with free drinks, even used to greet me by name (even though I was a nobody).

Can't see any reason why he shouldn't get a security pass, after all, he's financed the Labour party for the past 30 years.

16 minutes ago, jippytum said:

Great.. cutting pensioners fuel allowance and then accepting free clothes for the missus. 

But but but...don't you see: once the clothes have been worn,  they will be given to a charity store, so that some poor pensioner this winter can put on  a few extra layers at very small cost.

Win win all round......

9 hours ago, Social Media said:

Starmer defended his actions, explaining that his team sought advice following the election on the proper procedure for declarations, and any delay was part of a “genuine and proper exercise.”

Whilst I think the whole thing is a storm in a teacup, the idea that the leader of the country doesn't understand the procedure for declarations after how many years as an mp is laughable (or very worrying, take your pick).

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, nahkit said:

Whilst I think the whole thing is a storm in a teacup, the idea that the leader of the country doesn't understand the procedure for declarations after how many years as an mp is laughable (or very worrying, take your pick).

That would be fine if he didn't make such a big song and dance out of it when others broke the rules whilst he was in opposition.   The fact he did so makes him a massive hypocrite.  

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, nahkit said:

He understands. He's just incredibly arrogant and the power has clearly gone to his head. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I see The Daily Telegraph are still in that place of hurt they’ve been in silence July 5.

They're hardly being silent about it. 

Shouting from the rooftops in fact. That's the great thing about a free press in a Democracy. No doubt Starmer will be clamping down on this soon. He might have to release some more rapists to make space for the journalists. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

Shouting from the rooftops in fact. That's the great thing about a free press in a Democracy. No doubt Starmer will be clamping down on this soon. He might have to release some more rapists to make space for the journalists. 

Your imagination is wasted Jonny, you could write novels; fictional fantasy stuff seems to be your natural genre.

2 minutes ago, Red Forever said:

Oh dear. The right whingers are really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

The Rwanda (correct spelling) fiasco was all about getting rid of Jonny Foreigner to placate the frothing Kipper, BNP, white nationalists.

The Albania plan is to process asylum application in situ so that those eligible won't have to suffer a Channel crossing.

I know it's hard for you rightards but you must accept that .... erm.. . you lost, get over it!

Although this thread is about Starmer   the Labour leader receiving person gifts which could be corruption .

Its deflection to mention Rwanda and the Conservatives and to change the subject of the topic .

"Is Labour leader Starmer corrupt ?"

*The Right wing are racists blah blah blah*

12 hours ago, Social Media said:

Starmer also addressed his receipt of complimentary football tickets, which he has accepted more than 20 times during his time in Parliament. These included tickets to Arsenal matches, where he is a regular supporter. Starmer explained that due to security concerns, he cannot sit in the stands and therefore must accept hospitality.

Really , the previous Prime Minister Rishi Sunak went to football games in the stands with other supporters , why could the opposition leader Keir Starmer  do the same ?

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak is pictured in the stands at St Mary's

Then Prime Minister Rishi Sunak at a football match 

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Yeah right. He has to "make space" in prisons cos previous administrations defunded (along with all public utilities) the prison service.

1 minute ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Although this thread is about Starmer   the Labour leader receiving person gifts which could be corruption .

Its deflection to mention Rwanda and the Conservatives and to change the subject of the topic .

"Is Labour leader Starmer corrupt ?"

*The Right wing are racists blah blah blah*

Erm, I think you should re-read the thread.

I'll make it simple. I didn't deflect. Your like minded right whinger flexible Jonny raised the Rwanda thingy. I merely responded to his/her post.

Do keep up old chap.

7 minutes ago, Red Forever said:

Yeah right. He has to "make space" in prisons cos previous administrations defunded (along with all public utilities) the prison service.

Erm, I think you should re-read the thread.

I'll make it simple. I didn't deflect. Your like minded right whinger flexible Jonny raised the Rwanda thingy. I merely responded to his/her post.

Do keep up old chap.

You are blaming other people for your posts ?

You did post about Rwanda , even if other people did as well

Another deflection .

14 minutes ago, Red Forever said:

I'll make it simple. I didn't deflect. Your like minded right whinger flexible Jonny raised the Rwanda thingy.

No he didn't.

Pleb Forever is showing his age. 

16 minutes ago, Red Forever said:

Jailing people for hurty words on FaceBook isn't helping.

Huw got away without serving a day though, so you should be OK for now. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

You're a Guardian reader.

Did you miss the article on the same issue in your chosen rag?

I sometimes read The Guardian, I don’t read it everyday and I certainly don’t read every article they publish.

So not so much ‘missed the article’ as didn’t read The Guardian whenever it was the article was published.

My ‘chosen rag’ at the moment is a piece of an old T-shirt that I’m using to clean one my road bikes.

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Jailing people for hurty words on FaceBook isn't helping.

Huw got away without serving a day though, so you should be OK for now. 

Once again, nobody has been jailed for ‘hurty words on Facebook. 

Give us their names Jonny and I’ll once again link reports of the crimes they were actually imprisoned and/or held on remand for.

Oh and you couldn’t help yourself with the slur could you?!

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Once again, nobody has been jailed for ‘hurty words on Facebook. 

Give us their names Jonny and I’ll once again link reports of the crimes they were actually imprisoned and/or held on remand for.

Oh and you couldn’t help yourself with the slur could you?!

Yes, they have.  This guy posted some memes.

https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/24513379.sellafield-worker-jailed-sharing-offensive-facebook-posts/

This one posted emojis:

https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/24506682.maryport-man-jailed-facebook-post-police-bid-stop-disorder/

Perhaps you can enlighten everyone why these characters deserved a harsher punishment than a pedophile who had "category A" images (the most extreme kind) of children as young as 7 on his phone.   

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, James105 said:

Yes, they have.  This guy posted some memes.

https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/24513379.sellafield-worker-jailed-sharing-offensive-facebook-posts/

This one posted emojis:

https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/24506682.maryport-man-jailed-facebook-post-police-bid-stop-disorder/

Perhaps you can enlighten everyone why these characters deserved a harsher punishment than a pedophile who had "category A" images (the most extreme kind) of children as young as 7 on his phone.   

Your first hate monger was convicted as follows:

Lee Dunn, date of birth 10/07/1973, is from Egremont, Cumbria and pleaded guilty to a charge of sending a grossly offensive message, contrary to section 127(1)(a) and (3) of the Communications Act 2003.”

So not for posting ‘hurty words’ as claimed by the grievance strokers among us.

As an added ‘gift’ for his hate mongering, he’s almost certainly lost the security clearance he needs to work at Sellsfield.

Your second martyr was convicted of racially aggravated breach of Section 127 of the Communications Act.

I suggest you read the link you provided and not dismiss the factors the court considered.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/north-west/news/man-jailed-offensive-social-media-posts-wake-recent-disorder

https://www.news.cumbria.police.uk/news/man-convicted-for-posting-racially-aggravated-online-content-as-part-of-carlisle-policing-operation

Edited by Chomper Higgot

35 minutes ago, James105 said:

I have already responded in the thread discussing that case with very clear statements that I believe the pervert should have been sentenced to prison.

If you have any comments on my views on that matter, respond in the thread dedicated to the topic.

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Your first hate monger was convicted as follows:

Lee Dunn, date of birth 10/07/1973, is from Egremont, Cumbria and pleaded guilty to a charge of sending a grossly offensive message, contrary to section 127(1)(a) and (3) of the Communications Act 2003.”

So not for posting ‘hurty words’ as claimed by the grievance strikers among us.

As an added ‘gift’ for his hate momgering, he’s almost certainly lost the security clearance he needs to work at Sellsfield.

Your second martyr was convicted of racially aggravated breach of Section 127 of the Communications Act.

I suggest you read the link you provided and not dismiss the factors the court considered.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/north-west/news/man-jailed-offensive-social-media-posts-wake-recent-disorder

https://www.news.cumbria.police.uk/news/man-convicted-for-posting-racially-aggravated-online-content-as-part-of-carlisle-policing-operation

sending a grossly offensive message = hurty words

breach of Section 127 of the Communications Act = hurty words

They posted hurty words and were jailed for it.   They didn't have category A images of 7 year olds on their phones.  They didn't physically assault anyone.   It's literally hurty words they were jailed for.

• Confused 2

Just now, James105 said:

sending a grossly offensive message = hurty words

breach of Section 127 of the Communications Act = hurty words

They posted hurty words and were jailed for it.   They didn't have category A images of 7 year olds on their phones.  They didn't physically assault anyone.   It's literally hurty words they were jailed for.

Give over with the gaslighting, your martyrs were imprisoned for posting grossly offensive content in breach of the communications act.

Read the links you yourself orovided

They both confessed their crimes.

Section 127 of the Communications Act linked below for your reference.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/21/section/127