Best Song of Past 100 Years? Your Vote?

On 9/20/2024 at 3:47 PM, MarkBR said:

If I could play any musical instrument such that it sounded good, I would be very happy.  Currently, only pest control companies would employ me to play musical instruments or sing.

Get yourself a hurdie-gurdie.  The pest control companies will double your rates.

On 9/20/2024 at 11:53 AM, BarraMarra said:

For me it has to be Freebird  up there. No one i know and i've never known another Guitarist to attempt the Guitar Solo on it and as the lead singer and other band members were killed in an sir crash in my opinion is awarded the title Posthumously

Saw them play this at the Knebworth concert - not long before the tragic crash.

The Stones were also there .... and we thought it would be their last concert.

8 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

LOVE

LOVE

LOVE

Love this tune.......

A song for Forever.....

If you want electronic hurdy-gurdy music then Guilhem Desq is your musician.  Brilliant music , he even did a Panthera cover which was excellent.

On 9/18/2024 at 8:52 AM, RSD1 said:

To think a couple of young guys wrote all of that when they were only in their early twenties. Genius. 

But so was Pink Floyd when they were at a similar age. They made what might be considered the best album of all time; Dark Side.

Wish You Were Here has to be the best album ever, it farts on Dark Side, but the best song is Dreams by the Cranberries.

Of course that's just my opinion. It's ridiculous to even imagine that there could be a universally accepted best song.

On 9/27/2024 at 4:27 AM, Kinnock said:

To be a truly great song, I think it needs to be more than the music alone .... it needs to make a statement, change people's views, it needs bravery and purpose. 

Nah. It needs to make people feel happy. If a song makes people angry or depressed it's not a great song.

37 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Nah. It needs to make people feel happy. If a song makes people angry or depressed it's not a great song.

Art is to create emotions, music have that power, and some people need to feel sad, anger and depression, to fulfill their life, while others need more happiness in their life.

It is good thing enjoy the full specter, it makes life complete

25 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Art is to create emotions, music have that power, and some people need to feel sad, anger and depression, to fulfill their life, while others need more happiness in their life.

It is good thing enjoy the full specter, it makes life complete

Being sad or angry is not a "good thing", being happy is. That's why something great makes people feel good or happy.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Being sad or angry is not a "good thing", being happy is. That's why something great makes people feel good or happy.

Songs about things that is not right and fair in life, brings feelings such as anger. War songs brings motivation and very much needed aggressivity.