Thai Benefits vs Taxation.

Many members have said that if they have to pay income tax in Thailand, they want Thai benefits. I thought it might be interesting to look into that for a moment. It’s worth saying at the outset that most benefits in Thailand are a result of paying contributions into the Social Security Fund, not only paying income tax, just as pension benefits etc are a function of National Insurance contributions in the UK and of Social Security Payments in the US.

The benefits most people seem to want are as follows:

- membership of the 30 baht health scheme

- equal pricing for entry to National Parks

- general social security benefits

Health Care

The government run health system here can be very very good and there are some excellent medical staff within the system. But I will be very surprised if most foreigners would really want to be part of the 30 baht scheme or would even use it, because it typically involves a number of negatives aspects initially although it can eventually evolve into good quality medical care. Those negatives include:

- long waits for treatment

- treatment by junior or poorly skilled doctors

- no of choice of doctor

- medical staff with little or no English language proficiency

- lack of choice of treatment location

- often low grade accommodation, food and facilities

If foreign patients wanted good quality care, right now, and minimal language issues, in pleasant surroundings, the 30 baht scheme would not be a good option, in most areas. Those things said, it is a cost effective system.

National Parks Entry Fee

National Park entry fee dual pricing is a government policy rather than a subsided benefit, achieving parity in this area requires a change in policy that will probably never happen since it applies to visitors, and residents.

General Social Security

Unemployment and Retirement benefits here are not great by Western standards, unless you’ve paid into the Social Security fund for most of your working life, in which case, the SSc health insurance benefit is worthwhile. I think retirement benefits amount to only a couple of thousand a month at best.

I’m sure there are other benefits people want so it will be interesting to hear what they are.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

It’s worth saying at the outset that most benefits in Thailand are a result of paying contributions into the Social Security Fund,

That's just not true ..........

Less than 20% of Thai nationals have ever paid income tax.

Bangkok Post says currently only 14% of the Thai population pay income tax.

"Thailand has a population of almost 70 million people.

Out of 9.55 million taxpayers,................"

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/general/2020179/revenue-department-plan-intends-to-add-some-500-000-taxpayers.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

That's just not true ..........

Less than 20% of Thai nationals have ever paid income tax.

Bangkok Post says currently only 14% of the Thai population pay income tax.

"Thailand has a population of almost 70 million people.

Out of 9.55 million taxpayers,................"

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/general/2020179/revenue-department-plan-intends-to-add-some-500-000-taxpayers.

The population of Thailand is not relevant to how many people pay tax, the size of the workforce is the only factor since Thai retirees, disabled, incarcerated and children don't typically file tax returns. The size of the Thai work or labour force is calculated at 38 million people.

A couple with one child have sizeable allowances and deductions before they must file a tax return, their TEDA are:

+ 60k Personal Allowance, +150k zero rated for tax = 210k 

as above for the second person, +30k for the child = 240k

Total 450k or 37.5k each per month.....Thai nationals can live on that here.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

That wasn't the question or issue, benefits is the issue being discussed.

Speaking of benefits, I like the roads, the fact that I've never been mugged, that the poop goes away when I flush, that the elevators are pretty safe, visiting Lumpini and Queen Sirikit parks, that there's people who learned how to fix the trains, and... and...

None of that happens without tax money.  And more tax money than the piddly VAT.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

The population of Thailand is not relevant to how many people pay tax, the size of the workforce is the only factor since Thai retirees, disabled, incarcerated and children don't typically file tax returns. The size of the Thai work or labour force is calculated at 38 million people.

A couple with one child have sizeable allowances and deductions before they must file a tax return, their TEDA are:

+ 60k Personal Allowance, +150k zero rated for tax = 210k 

as above for the second person, +30k for the child = 240k

Total 450k or 37.5k each per month.....Thai nationals can live on that here.

Correction, just noticed but too late to change:

Total 450k or 37.5k each per month, should read, for the pair, not each. That's 18.75k per month each, which is right around  the national average wage.

Apologies.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

If farangs dont pay taxes, which they are not going too....Then zero benefits are fair......Zero in Zero out fair is fair....

The OP seems very gung ho on paying taxes....So I hope you get some benefits..

Huh! I don't pay tax here, not unless it's advantageous for me to do so.

But you hope I get some benefits from living here, I do, lots and lots.

2 minutes ago, Yumthai said:

100% property/company ownership is to be expected when resident foreigners are full tax liable as citizens.

The Thai government restricted land ownership to only Thai's, in about 1970, because Indian speculators were driving up land and property prices, a scenario most people can relate to in many countries. I bet there are many countries wish they had/could do the same.

1 minute ago, Old Croc said:

How about actual residency more in line with the concept of tax residency. 

Longer and more secure retirement and marriage visas. Do away with the demeaning home visits, idiot picture taking, banking and 3-month reporting regimes. 

Don't deflect by stating PR is an alternative,

I agree completely, make retirement living more certain for older people.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would also like to see the government offer foreigners health insurance that was fairer than the commercial polices on offer in Thailand. It's easily within their power to offer a policy that is sensibly proceed that doesn't include private hospital prices. Perhaps membership of the Social Security medical insurance program but at an increased price.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Most foreigners working here (excluding international schoolteachers and company directors) are automatically entitled to getting Thai social security benefits. The stand out one is the lifetime health care which is great value so long as you sign up for it and continue paying the tiny 432 baht per month premium. 

https://www.thaicitizenship.com/thai-social-security/ 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kiwiaussie said:

Most foreigners working here (excluding international schoolteachers and company directors) are automatically entitled to getting Thai social security benefits. The stand out one is the lifetime health care which is great value so long as you sign up for it and continue paying the tiny 432 baht per month premium. 

https://www.thaicitizenship.com/thai-social-security/ 

I agree that's good value. The problem is that only covers about 160k of the 300k western expats, the other 140k are on long stay visa's and don't have access to that system.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, chiang mai said:
47 minutes ago, Yumthai said:

100% property/company ownership is to be expected when resident foreigners are full tax liable as citizens.

The Thai government restricted land ownership to only Thai's, in about 1970, because Indian speculators were driving up land and property prices, a scenario most people can relate to in many countries. I bet there are many countries wish they had/could do the same.

Here's the small list of countries, mainly in Asia, that restrict foreign ownership:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_ownership

Thailand wants to play with the big boys applying to join OECD with all the global control and tax compliance that come along.

If successful it will the only OECD country with full foreign ownership restrictions, can't see that happening without giving stuff up.

• Thumbs Up 2