Trump: "President Biden was so nice." Civility During Flint Rally Amid Political Tensions

Social Media

image.png

In a rare departure from his usual fiery rhetoric, Donald Trump appeared to embrace a more tempered tone during a rally in Flint, Michigan. With weeks left until the election, the likelihood of attacks ramping up remains, but for the moment, the former president seemed focused on lowering the political heat. "It’s a dangerous business being president," Trump remarked to loud applause inside the Dort Financial Center.

The event marked Trump's first public appearance since his Florida golf course was the site of a dramatic security incident. Interviewed by Sarah Huckabee Sanders, his former press secretary and now the governor of Arkansas, Trump recounted the tense moments when shots were fired between holes five and six at his course in West Palm Beach. "I have to say, Secret Service did a hell of a job," he said, explaining how one agent spotted the suspect with a rifle. Trump then lightened the atmosphere by quipping, "Women are smarter than men," in reference to a female witness who snapped photos of the fleeing suspect's vehicle.

As Trump retold the story, Secret Service agents stood vigilant on either side of the stage, carefully scanning the crowd for any signs of danger. At one point, Trump eagerly asked the agent who identified the gunman to stand up and be recognized by the crowd but quickly decided against it. Despite initially blaming Joe Biden and Kamala Harris for fueling violent rhetoric—an accusation made without evidence—Trump refrained from such claims during this rally. Instead, he spoke almost warmly about recent conversations with both the president and vice president. "President Biden was so nice," Trump shared. "I do feel he’s so, so nice."

Regarding Kamala Harris, Trump said, "I got a very nice call from Kamala. It was very nice." Though some in the crowd shouted, “She’s a liar,” Trump dismissed the comment with a shake of his head. Brian Menasco, a local from Columbiaville, believes Trump was making an effort to lower the political temperature. "I think so," Menasco said. "I've wanted him to do that since 2016. He's amazing but sometimes I think, 'why has he said that?'" Trump's decision to hold the rally in Flint was deliberate. He had planned to visit Michigan before the apparent assassination attempt and sees the state as critical to his path back to the White House. After winning Michigan in 2016 and losing it to Biden four years later, regaining support in key swing states like Michigan is essential for Trump’s campaign.

Flint, about an hour from Detroit, is infamous for its water crisis, which began in 2014 when lead contaminated the city’s water supply, resulting in at least 12 deaths and leaving lasting scars on the community. Known as "Vehicle City" due to its history with the auto industry, Flint's economy has suffered as manufacturing jobs declined. The North Dort Highway is still lined with businesses tied to cars, including repair shops and scrap metal yards.

Gary Grundy, an independent voter, was at Trevor’s Tires, loading tyres into his SUV when asked about Trump's rally. He believes both Republicans and Democrats share the responsibility for dialing down political rhetoric. "When I heard, I was like, that's two attempts on his life, that’s kind of crazy," he said. "But the talk on both sides needs to be dialed down. So the rhetoric on both sides needs to calm down, it's collective responsibility."

Not all attendees shared this view. Kristin Martinez, a Trump supporter, argued that Democrats bear some responsibility for inciting violence against Trump. "I really do think that they are responsible for, you know, maybe not calling out somebody to do it, but, you know, their words triggered somebody."

Despite Trump's gestures towards civility, with less than two months until the election and political tensions high, the threat of further violence remains palpable.

Credit: Sky News 2024-09-19

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Social Media said:

Despite initially blaming Joe Biden and Kamala Harris for fueling violent rhetoric—an accusation made without evidence—Trump refrained from such claims during this rally

"made without evidence"!!!!!!!

If  for godknowshowmanyyears you keep repeating  that  this man is "a threat to democracy", what more evidence of violent rhetoric do you need?

• Agree 1

"President Biden was so nice."

He also included Harris in their calls to Trump regarding the assassination in progress against Trump.

Trump's rally audience in reaction booed Trump. I think they felt Trump betrayed MAGA.

But Trump verted back to full MAGA cult immediately the following Monday accusing Biden and Harris of inciting violence against him "with their words." And continued eventually with disparaging Biden while calling Harris a Marxist, unintelligent, setting out to destroy the nation.

A civil Trump is a myth.

• Like 1

Most people don't trust what he said. Trump is in a lying league of his own. He is breathtakingly mendacious. Just a example of his many lies. In his recent podcast interview with Lex Fridman, he categorically said he lost 2020 by a whisker and then categorically denied that in the debate. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Most people don't trust what he said. Trump is in a lying league of his own. He is breathtakingly mendacious. Just a example of his many lies. In his recent podcast interview with Lex Fridman, he categorically said he lost 2020 by a whisker and then categorically denied that in the debate. 

In some respects you have to stand back and be amazed at what he has achieved................

He has single handedly made lying, cheating and false accusations totally acceptable even the norm.

Look at this......Vance claims he will make up stories to get his thoughts and ideas across to the US public

JD Vance defends pet-eating remarks: ‘The media has a responsibility to fact-check’ https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/sep/17/jd-vance-wisconsin-rally-immigrants-media?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

• Like 1