Cheapo Funeral......where, and how much.

Grusa

Without going into any private details, can someone please tell me where to obtain a simple, non-faith no-frills cremation for an impoverished farang, in the Jomtien/Sattahip area, and the approximate cost.

No trolls, please. This is a serious enquiry.

41 minutes ago, dddave said:

A Farang  body can not be disposed of in any way without a proper "Death Certificate"  If the person died in a hospital, they can provide it but usually insist that all outstanding bills be paid first.  If the person died at home then it is more complicated as cause of death must be established.  Sometimes if it's obviously a result of disease, they will let it go but usually an autopsy is required.

The Police must be notified and the deceased's passport be presented.  The Police will notify the person's embassy.

Have a trusted Thai speaker talk to a local monk at a temple with a crematorium.  A bare bones cremation usually costs between 5000 &  10,000 Baht depending on location.

For the record, there are local companies that specialize in handling foreigner deaths and take care of virtually everything, all paperwork and funeral arrangements.  When my friend died, his family used such a service and were very satisfied with the services provided. Cost was about B40,000

Thank you for the comprehensive reply. The problem here is, the Guy, a US citizen died quickly, in hospital,  of cancer. No wife or relatives in Thailand, few friends, and due to unfortunate lapses of cognition before being forced into medical intervention, locked out of his assets.... so only 8000 baht cash available. Attempts to unlock his assets were thwarted by his untimely demise. Now huge and accumulating hospital bills, and issues with the family in US, no way to fund the processes to unlock his assets......

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Grusa said:

Thank you for the comprehensive reply. The problem here is, the Guy, a US citizen died quickly, in hospital,  of cancer. No wife or relatives in Thailand, few friends, and due to unfortunate lapses of cognition before being forced into medical intervention, locked out of his assets.... so only 8000 baht cash available. Attempts to unlock his assets were thwarted by his untimely demise. Now huge and accumulating hospital bills, and issues with the family in US, no way to fund the processes to unlock his assets......

Very kind of you to try to help. At the end of the day it isn't your problem though. His relatives in the US should be the ones taking responsibility, organising his funeral and releasing his assets. It may seem heartless but it won't make any difference to the gentleman now if you were to distance yourself from this dilemma.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Sheryl posted this in a similar thread in April so they may be able to help?

On 4/12/2024 at 6:01 PM, Sheryl said:

Contact https://www.amarinternational.com/contact.html

They can arrange completely no frills cremation on outskirts of Bangkok and will also help liaise with Embassy for the needed paperwork etc. (Foreigner body can not be released for cremation or burial without Embassy OK first, Embassy will need proof wife us next of kin etc). If your wife will have any sort of death benefit entitlement from UK source or need access to zmany UK accounts they will help her get the needed documentation for that as well.

You can prepay for this if you like to make it that much easier for your wife...this also protects against subsequent cost rise.

Last time I knew someone who used them cost was about 25k. May be a bit more now. Call Dao (number on website) to find out. She is very helpful.

Cremation alone with no ceremony does not cost anywhere near 400 (or even 100)k. But especially in Bkk area temples (which are indeed where crematoria are located) can be reluctant to do this. Amar has an ongoing relationship with one that they use for this purpose.

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

they certainly can  but not for 8,000 baht. Even for a completely no-frills cremation, around twice that.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

This is the company I was referring to in my post hat helped my friends family with all the funeral arrangements.

OP  Ultimately, it's the families responsibility and I suggest you refer them to Amarinternational.  They are excellent at what they do.  My friend also died without a local or US will.  The family in the US will have to present  a huge amount of documentation and a local executor must be appointed and approved by a Thai court.  Even with all that, it's a long haul to get at local assets.  The local law industry feeds off of this situation and fees are extremely high and action slow.    Many local law firms have upscale Western names and promise a high level of service but all the actual lawyers are Thai.

sorry to hear about your friend taking the lift to the top floor.   Ultimately,  his US family should have the headache and responsibility to arrange a funeral.   I realize he was your good friend,  but do you really need all the stress and issues with paperwork and authorities here ...   let family have that horror,  not you.    imo

refer them to Amarinternational ....   and that's it. 

just have a beer for him,  he'll like that. 

Edited by steven100
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, steven100 said:

sorry to hear about your friend taking the lift to the top floor.   Ultimately,  his US family should have the headache and responsibility to arrange a funeral.   I realize he was your good friend,  but do you really need all the stress and issues with paperwork and authorities here ...   let family have that horror,  not you.    imo

refer them to Amarinternational ....   and that's it. 

just have a beer for him,  he'll like that. 

Thanks for your interest, but your interpretation of the circumstances is so completely off base as to be highly amusing! Sherlock Holmes you are not!

• Confused 4

4 hours ago, Grusa said:

Now huge and accumulating hospital bills, and issues with the family in US, no way to fund the processes to unlock his assets......

Why are hospital bills accumulating if he is dead ?

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, dddave said:

For the record, there are local companies that specialize in handling foreigner deaths and take care of virtually everything, all paperwork and funeral arrangements.  When my friend died, his family used such a service and were very satisfied with the services provided. Cost was about B40,000

Yes the paperwork and liaising with the embassy, registering the death first at the Amphur where they died  first, before the body can be released is a complete nightmare, especially if the police forensics in BKK have the body. I can Thoroughly recommend this company that was one recommended from the OZ embassy.

IMG_20231218_170207.thumb.jpg.22a276da1550f7c53e5b4f21db91d3a9.jpg

4 hours ago, Grusa said:

Now huge and accumulating hospital bills, and issues with the family in US, no way to fund the processes to unlock his assets......

Well you could just walk away, and let the family take the responsibility.

My friend died in hospital from a no cure disease MND on Koh Chang, but the cops insisted he go to BKK for autopsy. There was no choice. Luckily I had his ATM card and pin, as I used to take money out for him every month as he had lost the use of arms an hands'. I drained the lot and paid all the expenses from that, 

Edited by brianthainess
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I don't think there's any family that can do it ...      I agree what you say,  but my similar comment was ridiculed. 

8 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I don't think there's any family that can do it ...      I agree what you say,  but my similar comment was ridiculed. 

So why did you write

5 hours ago, Grusa said:

and issues with the family in US, no way to fund the processes to unlock his assets......

If no one pays he will get a paupers funeral. Do you not have contact with his family ? if you don't his embassy will. They will need a death cert to unlock his assets.

Edited by brianthainess

53 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

you suggested family also....   and your asking me why I wrote that  ?     now I am confused ....  haha