High cholesterol as a pre-existing condition?

JontS

I have elevated cholesterol and take statins to help with this. BP is normal and no issues related to heart disease.

Is there a risk that high cholesterol and statin use might give issues with future heart related claims? Does anyone have experience on how insurance companies handle this?

Thanks, Jon

14 minutes ago, JontS said:

I have elevated cholesterol and take statins to help with this. BP is normal and no issues related to heart disease.

Is there a risk that high cholesterol and statin use might give issues with future heart related claims? Does anyone have experience on how insurance companies handle this?

Thanks, Jon

I'm in the belief that insurance companies will use any means to not pay out a claim and high cholesterol would be an easy one for them to deny a claim. IMHO

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, JontS said:

Thanks, Jon

high cholesterol and statins is a reason to deny the claim, but ask them, no point waiting to see what happens.

BTW my brother in law just had a heart attack, had high cholesterol only

• Like 1

When I applied for health insurance through a broker four years ago, I disclosed that both my hypertension and cholesterol were well-controlled with medication. Some carriers considered these as pre-existing conditions, meaning any heart-related issues wouldn’t be covered. However, Cigna did not, which is why I chose them. I recommend submitting applications to multiple carriers to see how each one handles your situation before making a decision.

It’s frustrating that some insurers penalize you for taking proactive steps to manage your health. I get an annual wellness exam and take medications to prevent future problems, yet some carriers saw this as a red flag. Ironically, if I hadn’t monitored my health, I’d be at a higher risk but potentially more likely to be covered.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I declared that I was taking statins for cholesterol and medication for mild hypertension and got the medicines listed on the policy (WRLIfe).   I'm assuming, possibly foolishly, that I'm covered!  

If you've declared all that and they haven't put any special conditions on as a result then you should be ok. It's not declaring stuff that gets you in trouble. Quite often with common medication like yours which actually fixes the condition they don't add a loaded premium 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chongalulu said:

If you've declared all that and they haven't put any special conditions on as a result then you should be ok. It's not declaring stuff that gets you in trouble. Quite often with common medication like yours which actually fixes the condition they don't add a loaded premium 

That's what I'm hoping.  My broker has assured me I would be covered, but I'm hoping I never have to find out!

2 hours ago, DFPhuket said:

When I applied for health insurance through a broker four years ago, I disclosed that both my ...cholesterol were well-controlled with medication. Some carriers considered these as pre-existing conditions, meaning any heart-related issues wouldn’t be covered. However, Cigna did not, which is why I chose them.

I admitted using a statin drug and PACIFIC CROSS increased my insurance premium while also saying I would NOT be covered for any related claims. So I paid a higher premium for less coverage. 

Buyer beware.

PS What Bangkok Pharmavies offer good prices for generic lipitor? Big C sells it but the price is higher than back home.

On 9/19/2024 at 2:16 PM, KhunLA said:

I'm in the belief that insurance companies will use any means to not pay out a claim and high cholesterol would be an easy one for them to deny a claim. IMHO

You're right!  When I applied for Thai Insurance at 74yo (for OA visa) I had to mention medical conditions/operations.  When I received the policy there was so many exclusions that I couldn't hardly think of what I was covered for - Well maybe toenail fungus, never had yet.  So glad not to need that waste of money insurance anymore.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

A reputable broker told me if taking statins for cholesterol any heart related issue will not be covered.

Yes, I suspect different brokers give different advice on different insurers for different policies for different people!

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Tom100 said:

PS What Bangkok Pharmavies offer good prices for generic lipitor? Big C sells it but the price is higher than back home.

Ask for Lipostat or Xarator which are Atorvastatin also.  30 tablets I think is around 350 baht depending on if 10mg, 20 mg, etc.

8 hours ago, Tom100 said:

I admitted using a statin drug and PACIFIC CROSS increased my insurance premium while also saying I would NOT be covered for any related claims. So I paid a higher premium for less coverage. 

Buyer beware.

I use to take this Rosuvastatin  from MediSafe (online), 30 tabs would last 2 months as 10mg a day for me.

image.png.815d8ebbfb8862986da763771ff56af8.png

image.png.4599697b2135d723bfa4f33db5d7045c.png

worth reading for those who is not on medication yet

Red yeast riceRed yeast rice is white rice that has been fermented with yeast. It's eaten and used as a medicine in China. Some red yeast rice supplements have been shown to lower cholesterol, because they contain monacolin K. This has the same chemical makeup as lovastatin, a cholesterol-lowering medicine.

https://www.healthline.com/health/high-cholesterol/natural-cholesterol-reducers