Chechen Leader Accuses Elon Musk of Disabling Cybertruck

Social Media

3 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

So, if true. It means those nice electric vehicles can be remotely turned off. It makes me wonder even more if China's EV's have this capability as well. 

It also makes me wonder what more can be done to an EV if the producers can access it remotely. Given the batteries potential for a serious uncontrollable fire. I wonder if a producer of the EV's being sold in the markets can be utilized this way and used as a weapon causing an explosion. It has already been proven effective activating pagers and walkie-talkies remotely to explode so why can this not also be used in EV's? What a great way to effectively invade a country with little to no cost on the invader. Sell them cheap EV's with this capability and then when ready to invade blow them all up at the same time. ohh wait! China is already trying to dump millions of EV into the world markets at super cheap prices. Haha... 

You really haven’t thought this through have you? Unlike petrol (which is combustible) in a fuel tank, EV batteries don’t “explode”. 

In any case, I doubt that China has any desire to invade another country. Why own a cow when you can just buy milk?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

You really haven’t thought this through have you? Unlike petrol (which is combustible) in a fuel tank, EV batteries don’t “explode”. 

In any case, I doubt that China has any desire to invade another country. Why own a cow when you can just buy milk?

but it does not take much to make an EV battery burn. a small explosion like in a pager to crack the casing will be enough to make it burn uncontrollably..I have thought it through. I just did not spell out details like you seem to want to use as a reason it could not be done

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

So, if true. It means those nice electric vehicles can be remotely turned off. It makes me wonder even more if China's EV's have this capability as well. 

It also makes me wonder what more can be done to an EV if the producers can access it remotely. Given the batteries potential for a serious uncontrollable fire. I wonder if a producer of the EV's being sold in the markets can be utilized this way and used as a weapon causing an explosion. It has already been proven effective activating pagers and walkie-talkies remotely to explode so why can this not also be used in EV's? What a great way to effectively invade a country with little to no cost on the invader. Sell them cheap EV's with this capability and then when ready to invade blow them all up at the same time. ohh wait! China is already trying to dump millions of EV into the world markets at super cheap prices. Haha... 

Probably listening to everything and tracking 

8 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

555 😂😂😂😂

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

but it does not take much to make an EV battery burn. a small explosion like in a pager to crack the casing will be enough to make it burn uncontrollably..I have thought it through. I just did not spell out details like you seem to want to use as a reason it could not be done

Let’s say this is the case (although if you did a bit more research, you will find that LFP batteries don’t easily catch fire). First off, toxic smoke will be released followed by thermal runaway which does burn uncontrollably as you said. However this does not happen instantaneously. Occupants of the vehicle will have plenty of time to casually walk away. Not much of a weapon, in my opinion.

Putting aside the question of whether or not Musk, or anyone else, remotely disabled the Tesla truck, then two questions that do deserve an answer are:

”Is the remote disabling and/or modification of a Tesla vehicle’s controls a built in feature, either deliberately built in or inadvertently built in?”

“If this is a built in feature, then under what circumstances is remote modification of the vehicle controls possible”

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Putting aside the question of whether or not Musk, or anyone else, remotely disabled the Tesla truck, then two questions that do deserve an answer are:

”Is the remote disabling and/or modification of a Tesla vehicle’s controls a built in feature, either deliberately built in or inadvertently built in?”

“If this is a built in feature, then under what circumstances is remote modification of the vehicle controls possible”

The software can be updated remotely, therefore it seems logical it can be disabled remotely.

10 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

Cute how someone with Admin access can disable whatever you bought because he can. 

Anybody who has any dealings with IT Departs can see precisely the kind of thinking that concludes remote control of other people’s cars is a good idea.

14 minutes ago, stevenl said:

The software can be updated remotely, therefore it seems logical it can be disabled remotely.

But can it be done without the vehicle being ‘hardwire’ connected to a maintenance console or is it something that can be done wirelessly and without the owner’s consent?

20 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

But can it be done without the vehicle being ‘hardwire’ connected to a maintenance console or is it something that can be done wirelessly and without the owner’s consent?

From the tesla site.

"Tesla vehicles regularly receive over-the-air software updates that add new features and enhance existing ones over Wi-Fi.".

These are scheduled, i would be very surprised if Tesla could not update without consent.