A high tea ?

georgegeorgia

9 minutes ago, Patong2021 said:

Then why did you insult him for being 80?

It's not an insult , anyone over 80 I remind them  that time is limited 

It's called bring responsible and informative

The good thing Jas knows he won't be here in 5 years thus he is getting his very academic posts in now and good on him.

He won't be wasting the limited time he has left 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

It's not an insult , anyone over 80 I remind them  that time is limited 

It's called bring responsible and informative

The good thing Jas knows he won't be here in 5 years thus he is getting his very academic posts in now and good on him.

He won't be wasting the limited time he has left 

You could die very soon yourself, be careful crossing the road or driving.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Or travelling those Manila trains at night thinking he's some kind of tough guy. Oh wait, that was all in his mind while he was safely tucked away in his mental asylum 

I was thinking he might slip on the hospital stairs he's cleaning, and smash his head open, revealing a black hole of nothingness. That's if he is really allowed out of his padded cell and trusted to even use a mop.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/21/2024 at 1:04 PM, AlwaysThere said:

A High Tea is a 'working class' meal served from the evening onwards....after work. Many working class Brits, still refer to their dinner as their 'tea'.

You are referring to Afternoon Tea.

That not even one person here corrected you, speaks volumes. Though @Lacessit  at least described it correctly.

The Oriental in Bangkok 

• Like 2

Mandarin is the name of the "group' that now owns and manages it. But going back. 1955 first time in BKK with my folks, The Oriental. 63 round the world trip with my folks The Oriental, First time back here as an adult 1978, showed off to my girlfriend and stayed at The Oriental. Been to many weddings, meetings, functions, and dinners at The Oriental. Never once heard a person Thai or farang call the hotel The Mandarin Oriental.   We will save that for Always There. 😂🙃🤪

17 minutes ago, marin said:

Mandarin is the name of the "group' that now owns and manages it. But going back. 1955 first time in BKK with my folks, The Oriental. 63 round the world trip with my folks The Oriental, First time back here as an adult 1978, showed off to my girlfriend and stayed at The Oriental. Been to many weddings, meetings, functions, and dinners at The Oriental. Never once heard a person Thai or farang call the hotel The Mandarin Oriental.   We will save that for Always There. 😂🙃🤪

They call it the Mandarin Oriental. 

I stayed only once. Met a girl on a flight who was booked in there. She took me with her. We told the taxi the Oriental and he took us to the 4* Oriental Hotel. She was quite young, perhaps low 20's so I didn't think anything of it. But they didn't have her reservation. They suggested we try the Mandarin.... and there we were.

So whilst your nostalgia is very nice, these days it can cause confusion if you don't specify.

1 minute ago, NowNow said:

So whilst your nostalgia is very nice, these days it can cause confusion if you don't specify.

Up2u, but I have never heard it called the Mandarin Oriental in 35 years here. I guess its simply different generations. As nobody I know refers to it in any other way than The Oriental. 

Could you provide me with a link for the other Oriental in BKK, cheers. 

3 minutes ago, NowNow said:

They call it the Mandarin Oriental. 

I stayed only once. Met a girl on a flight who was booked in there. She took me with her. We told the taxi the Oriental and he took us to the 4* Oriental Hotel. She was quite young, perhaps low 20's so I didn't think anything of it. 

Must have been a rich 20 year old as it's 23,000 baht a night on booking .com

3 minutes ago, marin said:

Up2u, but I have never heard it called the Mandarin Oriental in 35 years here. I guess its simply different generations. As nobody I know refers to it in any other way than The Oriental. 

Could you provide me with a link for the other Oriental in BKK, cheers. 

The other place I don't have the details for anymore. But a cursory will show you more places with the name Oriental: Oriental Residence. Tara Oriental.

Why bend yourself out of shape about it? Things change. You are still welcome to call it The Oriental.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandarin_Oriental,_Bangkok

In September 2008, the hotel formally changed its name from The Oriental, Bangkok to Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok.

On 9/21/2024 at 1:04 PM, AlwaysThere said:

A High Tea is a 'working class' meal served from the evening onwards....after work. Many working class Brits, still refer to their dinner as their 'tea'.

You are referring to Afternoon Tea.

That not even one person here corrected you, speaks volumes. Though @Lacessit  at least described it correctly.

I believe High Tea is normally served around 4 PM and is not a replacement for dinner but a bridge from lunch until late dinner.

Just now, Dan O said:

I believe High Tea is normally served around 4 PM and is not a replacement for dinner but a bridge from lunch until late dinner.

Doesn't matter what you believe. Show us a reliable reference that backs up your belief. There should be many if true.

Of course you just made it up. High Tea for after work. Of course supper is still possible.

• Haha 1

Had to google what the hell a High Tea was and why would an Aussie want to do it?

"High tea is a working-class meal eaten around five o'clock onwards, usually consisting of a hearty meal and a pot of tea. In the United Kingdom, high teas are a tradition that dates back to the late 19th century. High tea, was traditionally served 'High', meaning at a high table with high back chairs. It was typically a substantial meal of meat or fish, bread, vegetables, and tea to drink, and it would feed the gentlemen and women who had been at work all day."

"Today, we know this as ‘dinner’ or ‘supper’. Some of us still refer to this meal as ‘tea’ but the ‘high’ tradition has faded over the years."

So I guess that's why we call  Dinner 'Tea' in Australia

Edited by Pattaya57

1 hour ago, NowNow said:

The other place I don't have the details for anymore. But a cursory will show you more places with the name Oriental: Oriental Residence. Tara Oriental.

Why bend yourself out of shape about it? Things change. You are still welcome to call it The Oriental.

Not bent out of shape at all. FYI the Oriental Residences are their catered apartments. Seems there was no other Oriental Hotel, which of course the Mandarin Oriental would not have allowed. 

52 minutes ago, marin said:

Not bent out of shape at all. FYI the Oriental Residences are their catered apartments. Seems there was no other Oriental Hotel, which of course the Mandarin Oriental would not have allowed. 

You see? Now even you are using the 'correct' name, Mandarin Oriental 😊 Though of course, I understand from your perspective.

Though our conversation reminded me that the other hotel was in fact named The Mandarin Hotel. 😊

So perhaps she asked the taxi driver for the Mandarin (Oriental), rather than just saying The Oriental.

1 hour ago, NowNow said:

You see? Now even you are using the 'correct' name, Mandarin Oriental 😊 Though of course, I understand from your perspective.

Though our conversation reminded me that the other hotel was in fact named The Mandarin Hotel. 😊

So perhaps she asked the taxi driver for the Mandarin (Oriental), rather than just saying The Oriental.

Thanks for the admission you were in error. Of course if she asked for the Mandarin she was taken to  the hotel named the Mandarin on Silom.  "The Oriental" would have gotten you to the correct hotel on the river. Again cheers. 

On 9/21/2024 at 9:08 AM, georgegeorgia said:

I would like to be treated as Royalty on this trip to Pattaya ,no more Cheap Charlie's 

Where can one as academic as me find a beautiful HIGH TEA with beautiful pretty cakes mixed with aroma coffee and teas 

I'm also after a Fine WINE & CHEESE night where like-minded academics can converse with me and mixing academic conversation with other  connoisseurs,whilst tasting the succulent tasty cheese mixed with beautiful aspiring wines from around the world 

I'm thinking the Hilton hotel perhaps.

I would like to be called Sir George if I may ,would I email the establishment before I arrive to ask that I'm called Sir George on arrival?

Get thine arse on a plane and fly to Siem Reap.

Raffles Hotel does a very fine afternoon tea by the garden.

Also had a pretty good one in Hua Hin at the Maruekhathaiyawan Palace, the old beachside residence of the Thai Royal Family.

• Love It 1