Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part II

3 hours ago, anrcaccount said:

Here's what the user reports: 

Been to 2 different Regional tax offices. (just last week), Both had to phone head office in Bangkok. ALL knew nothing about taxing foreigners. All asked what visa I was on, I said LTR, ALL replied " no tax on retirement pensions".  They checked all my paper work I had taken, House agreement, passport, paper work from pensions department UK, UK tax code, Military pension paperwork. Thai bank statements, They had no idea of what to do with it. I asked if i needed a tax code, they laughed and said, no, you not pay Thai tax.

What user?  What thread? What regional tax offices?

My experience with Phuket regional tax office, is they never heard of an LTR visa.

When (Phuket regional tax office) were asked if I would need to submit a Thai tax return and possibly pay tax on pension income brought in to Thailand (with my being on an LTR visa) they stated they would check and phone back. 

They never phoned back.

I will be most curious to see what the tax form for 2024-tax year looks like when it comes out ( in  November/December) ?

Edited by oldcpu

2 hours ago, JimGant said:

Wow! Talk about overly sensitive. Somebody on this forum has to analyze your assertions, as sometimes they're weak and misleading. This is particularly true with credit card purchases: It's just a real stretch that TRD would waste resources to go over credit card purchases, even just large ones, to call in for questioning the credit card's owner -- after determining he's a tax resident -- to see if the credit card bill was paid off with assessable, or non assessable, income. Easy to prove non assessable, if a monthly direct debit from an account holding only non assessable funds. But, even if an account with co-mingled funds -- how are you going to easily sort that out? Anyway, the reader here needs to see counters to your analyses -- so he has more input than just yours, from which to make decisions, or to quell unnecessary worry (your specialty).

Some (or maybe just one) have called for the criticisers of your statements to be banished. Not a good idea, if this -- and related threads -- are to serve for the reader to make decisions in the absence of hard facts. That three or four of us here find your "facts" sometimes suspect -- well, that's the way the cookie crumbles.

And for you to say you'll "raise a formal complaint" against a poster who challenged your assertions -- just makes it more important that you continue to be challenged.

I'm very happy with my opinions and statements being challenged but not suicessive posts by the same three or four posters every day and every night, for many months at a time and you Gant know exactly why that is. So don't try and play the innocent white night card because the trail of deleted posts tell a different story. If the three or four of you were to contribute useful content to help stimulate the conversation and inform members, or provide constructive support for posters seeking help, it might be a different matter, but you don't, all you are able to do is attack anything I contribute.

• Haha 1

News about the new tax regulations has been circulating conspicuously for over a year. In that year there have been numerous news articles, seminars, official documents and videos explaining what is involved, including reporting of statements made by the head of the TRD in Bangkok. There have also been many first hand reports of interactions with TRD and their responses to different questions, many of which have reaffirmed what is commonly understood by many on this forum.

Bearing in mind this is Thailand, where natives will almost certainly give a wrong answer before giving no answer, or saying “I don’t know”. And where answers given in remote local tax offices will almost certainly differ with those given in Bangkok, I find it very difficult to believe that, given the above, two regional tax offices and two separate contacts with TRD Head Office, all yielded, “I don’t know anything about this new tax issue”, answers. I have asked the poster for clarification regarding which offices etc but have not received any answers.

Edited by chiang mai

16 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Not everything. Sometimes your presentations make sense.

Well, either behaviours change for the better and the sniping/attacks/baiting/stalking ends,  permanently or one of us goes and I have zero problem if that's me. 

39 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

What user?  What thread? What regional tax offices?

This thread, page 89. 

User name "Lopburikid"

The reply had hidden the report which is why I reposted it. 

39 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

My experience with Phuket regional tax office, is they never heard of an LTR visa.

When (Phuket regional tax office) were asked if I would need to submit a Thai tax return and possibly pay tax on pension income brought in to Thailand (with my being on an LTR visa) they stated they would check and phone back. 

They never phoned back.

I will be most curious to see what the tax form for 2024-tax year looks like when it comes out ( in  November/December) ?

Thanks for the real world report. 

• Thanks 1

I was trying to imagine an alternate case scenario whereby TRD decided to suspend Por 161 and effectively revert to the previous  interpretation of the remittance rule. This would mean income earned overseas  could be seasoned offshore until the following tax year and then remitted to Thailand free of tax.

Why might that happen? Perhaps TRD might prefer to wait until the worldwide income law was passed and then do a single implementation of the new law. To be clear, I have no reason to think TRD might do this, more I was brainstorming alternate scenarios.

But let's say they went down that road, what would be the impact? There would of course be a collective sigh of relief and lots of "I told you so" but there would also be  quite a few new tax filers next January, especially those who have income remitted to Thailand each month in order to qualify for their visa.  So for some there would be  a temporary escape, others would continue down this same road we're on currently because the need to file tax returns here has risen dramatically in the past year. The bottom line is that even if nothing further happens with the new laws, TRD and tax collection will be further ahead.

2 hours ago, chiang mai said:
2 hours ago, JimGant said:

Not everything. Sometimes your presentations make sense.

Well, either behaviours change for the better and the sniping/attacks/baiting/stalking ends,  permanently or one of us goes and I have zero problem if that's me. 

Huh? My "sometimes your presentations make sense" was characterized as a "sniping/attacks/baiting/stalking" occurrence? I would suggest a prozac, as you seem to be overly sensitive to observations that counter yours. But, I guess, that statement represents "sniping" -- and subject to removal. Sad that an intense "back and forth" is not allowed on this forum -- at least between some personalities. Ho hum.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Huh? My "sometimes your presentations make sense" was characterized as a "sniping/attacks/baiting/stalking" occurrence? I would suggest a prozac, as you seem to be overly sensitive to observations that counter yours. But, I guess, that statement represents "sniping" -- and subject to removal. Sad that an intense "back and forth" is not allowed on this forum -- at least between some personalities. Ho hum.

No it wasn't that, it was simply my position statement on all of this because I've gad enough of you guys, probably the same way that Lister did also when he left.

Edited by chiang mai
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Yeah, amazing -- the same sensitivities. Coincidence?

See yet again, you don't stop do you, you just don't know when to quit!

Anyone who read through the first and second long tax threads could see the way you guys played your games, almost from the very start....the posts are still there for everyone to see, the same bullying and baiting tactics by the same people.. 

Edited by chiang mai
  • Confused 3
  • Agree 2

23 hours ago, thomago said:

Do the 100 million THB of tax-exempt allowance apply only once to the entire estate or to each individual inheritor?

Example: Total estate value is 300 million THB distributed via legal testament in Thailand as follow:

- Legal Thai wife: 100 million THB

- Legal Thai son: 100 million THB

- Legal Thai daughter: 100 million THB

The legal Thai wife would be exempt from Thai inheritance tax.

The remaining estate value would be 200 million THB for the legal son and daughter.

What about the legal Thai son and daughter? Would they each have a personal tax-exempt allowance of 100 million THB, or would they need to pay 5% on the remaining estate value exceeding 100 million THB?

I have received conflicting legal information on that subject and would appreciate your opinion.

Based on the UK IHT I would say only once to the entire estate. IHT is levied against the deceased's Estate not each individual inheritor.

However this is purely my personal opinion and you may wish to take further legal advice.

5 hours ago, chiang mai said:

Chiang Mai, no one is stalking you here IMHO. Just relax please, this is a forum with different opinions. Me for a part I can still remember where you provided good info on the exchange rates, so I am not one sided and so are most of the posters here.

Edited by stat

On 10/12/2024 at 7:40 AM, StraightTalk said:

Those disrupters could then create their own tax forum if they wish...

Edited Saturday at 07:56 AM by StraightTalk

Provided that they - and only they - could access it, of course. Otherwise the risk would be that the BS nonsense they keep spouting on here could mistakenly be construed by some who might still come to the whole topic cold as representing any semblance of accuracy!

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Never ceases to amaze me that a difference in opinion is construed by some as baiting, stalking etc

Anyway there is a mute function so you could never be stalked as you could mute the other guy/gal.

2 hours ago, stat said:

Never ceases to amaze me that a difference in opinion is construed by some as baiting, stalking etc

Anyway there is a mute function so you could never be stalked as you could mute the other guy/gal.

Indeed, truly shocking is it not! 

You'll all need to find a new lightening rod to keep you entertained.

Edited by chiang mai