High BP, revisited.

swissie

Blood pressure, revisited.

Resting, my BP averages 130 to 85. Age 72. What is more relevant, higher or lower BP?

Took my BP measuring device with me yesterday. After walking 500 meters: 160 over 92. Resting, drinking a cup of coffee: 155 over 88.
Watching Donald Trump on TV the same evening: My BP readings went out of control.

I must conclude: Except for early morning readings, during the day, my BP is always too high. No matter what I do.

As a precautionary measure, I don't frequent GoGo Bars anymore, afraid that my BP readings would go thru the roof. Same as marathon runners after 40 Km's. Their reading would have to be astronomical, as opposed to the readings of "old gezzeres" where surpassing certain boundaries is qualified as "life threathening".

"Clogging up" on blood- pipelines are mentioned as part of the aging process. In other words, the medication that we take to avoid the "clogging-up" the blood pipelines are not working.

Once more: 70% of the day, my BP is too high. End of.

56 minutes ago, swissie said:

Watching Donald Trump on TV the same evening: My BP readings went out of control.

seems you have some internal issues you need to work on if the don is getting to you worked up like that.

take a deep breath it will be ok. turn off the tv for starters. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, stoner said:

seems you have some internal issues you need to work on if the don is getting to you worked up like that.

take a deep breath it will be ok. turn off the tv for starters. 

We can go astray, but for a change, let's focus on the essential:

Except for early morning readings, during the day, my BP is always too high. No matter what I do. I should have died years ago.

14 minutes ago, swissie said:

We can go astray, but for a change, let's focus on the essential:

Except for early morning readings, during the day, my BP is always too high. No matter what I do. I should have died years ago.

I totally agree. let's focus on the issue and for once leave Trump out of it.

Edited by stoner

Two items need clarification.

1. For people age 65 and younger-  The old  guideline of 120/80 has been revised. BP should be lower than this. This is the top end of acceptable. 121/81 is elevated.

2. It is normal for the elderly to have a higher blood pressure. That doesn't mean it is desirable. but it is acceptable. In the USA, the revised acceptable  top limit for age 65+ is 130/80. Ideally it should be lower.

If someone age 65+ has elevated blood pressure aside from the heart and stroke risks, it can damage the kidneys. Aside from  staying hydrated, one really should see a physician and not second guess it here or hope for a miracle.

One caveat when measuring  BP at home: Sometimes the arm cuff is too tight or too small. This can inflate the reading.

See your primary care physician.