Beer drinking in Thailand: Does Leo preserve brain-cells better than Chang?

GammaGlobulin

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Both beers are high in carbohydrate. Hence the term "beer gut".

The OP would be better off drinking spirits, which have zero carbs, to retain a svelte figure.

Given his purported nationality, to make America great again, he should imbibe bourbon.

Yes, but all alcohol shrinks the brain.

Most people, last time I checked, can't afford to have smaller brains. 

On 9/22/2024 at 1:33 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

Do you really think that just one bottle of Chang could damage my brain?

Course it could, especially if somebody hit's you on the head with it.

IMHO don't think either will help grow or maintain your brain cells, I drink Chang because (to me) it tastes better than Leo, but would be quite prepared to switch if I though it would assist in keeping my one remaining brain cell.  A friend only drinks Leo because he says that it helps with his blood sugar levels, others prefer the taste of Leo. Personal choice.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

yeah, great memories of bombs being dropped.

sometimes you're so stupid it boggles the mind. 

I agree, also the many millions of innocent civilians killed and maimed in Vietnam. Laos and Cambodia. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

With respect, Mekhong whiskey is not whiskey - it is RUM! So are Hong Tong and Sam Song - also distilled from molasses. I believe Sam Song actually states rum on the label.

It (Mekhong) is distilled from molasses (sugar) which makes it rum. To be honest, on the bottle there is no mention of either two - just "distilled spirit". reference- 

haven’t found any evidence online that the company behind this “rum” Bangyikan Distillery have every marketed this as whisky or rum.  I’ll try and sort out of the confusion,  Mekhong is made from molasses (approx. 95%) and 5% rice.  Which makes it almost a rum.  Add into this conundrum the secret recipe of natural spices which is added to the blend bottle it at 35% and we have a spiced rum."

https://thefatrumpirate.com/mekhong-spirit-thailand

Technically it may very well be rum, but it tastes more like cheap whiskey, not like for example Tanduay, the cheap rum in the Philippines. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dirk Z said:

Actually it's not so much the beer as the snacks that often come with it. Drinking arouses the appetite (to be ahead of the funny guys: yes, not only for food). I can tell from own experience: love to drink beer but don't snack, constant weight (BMI<25) for over 10 years.

And as for the spirits: 1 gram of alcohol contains 7 calories. There are 65 cal in a standard glass of whiskey, about 83 in a small bottle of beer. Only alcohol free spirits have zero carbs. Cheers!

You are confusing calories with carbohydrates.

Calories are a unit of energy. Carbohydrates are macronutrients, measured by mass present.

Beer and whisky both contain calories. Whisky contains zero carbohydrates, because it is impossible to distill carbohydrates.

On 9/22/2024 at 1:09 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

Dear Folks,

I don't know much about drinking beer in Thailand.

However, I am considering getting into the habit of beer drinking, shortly.

The Question IS:

Will Leo help me to preserve my few remaining brain cells better than Chang beer drinking?

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

Let me know your thoughts, please.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Gamma

NOTE4:  While you are mulling over this question, why not take a listen to this song, just to help you tink better.....

2-Videos of....

Electric CHURCH Music....since.....today...IS a SUNDAY....

ALL along the Watchtower.....

VIETNAM.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Such great memories......

F-4 PHANTOMS taking off ...... all over the FING place.....

image.png.3c61fb9cd7b0778ca9939190c3e230f2.png

F-4....   The ONLY way to fly......

A serious answer, probably depends on secondary chemicals in these weak lager beers, but I think the negative effect of alcohol will dominate.

Music choices are excellent.

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

No. But, it does not deaden the taste buds as much as the lousy Thai beer. 

Thai beer is only rivaled by Serbian beer, and the mass produced American beers, in terms of the very low quality. Poor grade of hops, barely, and the production process seems to be entirely lacking in pride. Typical of the big monopolies. Even a large production beer, like Beer Laos blows away any Thai beer, hands down. Thailand desperately needs a vital craft beer movement, and the youth are ready to mount it. If only the dinosaurs would stop protecting their "bankers" and move out of the way. In other words, allow some progress, you mindless simpletons! 

Not all, Carabao beers are decent especially their IPA, and Cheers extra. Only realised today the CJ mimi marts are Carabao shops, which is why they sell all their beers, and Lao dark etc, as well as muck like Leo!

• Agree 1

I think the question you should be asking is, which one kills fewer brain cells, Chang or Leo? Could be wrong, but pretty sure there's not much preservation going on. Although it is all homogenised 5% swill, I really feel the 'afterglow' of a weekend on the Leo! Locals also consider it a bit off a poor man's beer... if there's one of the 'big 3' unavailable in this or not bar, guaranteed it is Leo.

59 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

It's proven that beer makes one smart.

It made Budweiser.

I think Budweiser can be used to kill mosquitoes.   If we are talking about the Czech real budweiser (in some places called Budvar due to being attached by Budweiser company) now that is good beer!

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You are confusing calories with carbohydrates.

Calories are a unit of energy. Carbohydrates are macronutrients, measured by mass present.

Beer and whisky both contain calories. Whisky contains zero carbohydrates, because it is impossible to distill carbohydrates.

Thanks for the explanation but the issue at hand was creating a 'gut'. That requires calories whether from alcohol or carbs. The suggestion was made that drinking spirits can preserve the shape, I was just pointing out that they too contain calories. And oh, as an MD I am somewhat aware of the difference. 

21 minutes ago, Dirk Z said:

Thanks for the explanation but the issue at hand was creating a 'gut'. That requires calories whether from alcohol or carbs. The suggestion was made that drinking spirits can preserve the shape, I was just pointing out that they too contain calories. And oh, as an MD I am somewhat aware of the difference. 

"Only alcohol free spirits have zero carbs". Your post.

As an MD, no doubt you are aware the metabolic pathways of ethanol and carbohydrate are significantly different.

For example, carbohydrate can result in lipogenesis.

( Storage of fat ). No such mechanism exists for ethanol.

Just now, Lacessit said:

"Only alcohol free spirits have zero carbs". Your post.

As an MD, no doubt you are aware the metabolic pathways of ethanol and carbohydrate are significantly different.

For example, carbohydrate can result in lipogenesis.

( Storage of fat ). No such mechanism exists for ethanol.

Typo. Carbs was meant to be calories. And yes, different metabolism, not my specialty, but still calories. My point is just that you can't avoid calories by drinking spirits as the poster suggested. 

13 minutes ago, Dirk Z said:

Typo. Carbs was meant to be calories. And yes, different metabolism, not my specialty, but still calories. My point is just that you can't avoid calories by drinking spirits as the poster suggested. 

You might listen to one of Lustig's better vids, with more of the chemistry discussed...which I am unable to find at the moment....