Motorcycle Cuts in Front of Car, Causing Crash into Tree; Pattaya

Georgealbert

IMG_5842.jpeg

Picture from responders.

In a miraculous escape, a car crash occurred after a motorcycle abruptly cut in front of a Honda Civic, causing the car driver to veer off course and slam into a palm tree and a large road sign. The incident took place at around 02:30 on September 22, near the Khao Talo traffic light junction in Nong Prue, Bang Lamung District, Chonburi.

The Pattaya Sawang Boriboon Rescue Centre responded to the emergency after receiving reports of a white Honda Civic ,license plate Bangkok, that had lost control, overturned, and collided with the median, hitting both a road sign and a large palm tree. The vehicle was heavily damaged, but the driver, Mr. Chayapat Nutchongkham, 36, miraculously survived with only minor injuries. Rescue workers provided first aid before transporting him to the hospital for further evaluation.

Eyewitnesses reported seeing the Honda Civic and a pickup truck driving at high speeds when a motorcycle suddenly crossed in front of the Civic, causing it to lose control and overturn onto the median. Fortunately, the car crashed into the signpost and tree, preventing it from crossing into the opposite lane, where other vehicles were waiting at the traffic light.

Authorities are continuing their investigation into the accident.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-22

news-footer-4.png

image.png

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've already decided if a dog is causing me to crash I won't be swerving and crashing I'll be taking the dog out, discuss

100% agrre on that in a car.  More dangerous on a motorbike, so I bought a bigger bike now to take out small obstacles if necessary.  Stopping or swerving away is a possble death call.

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Fortunately, the car crashed into the signpost and tree, preventing it from crossing into the opposite lane, where other vehicles were waiting at the traffic light.

Yes that was 'Fortunate' ................:coffee1::whistling:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've already decided if a dog is causing me to crash I won't be swerving and crashing I'll be taking the dog out, discuss

Exactly, anything smaller than me and I  don't risk myself if dangerous.

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

100% agrre on that in a car.  More dangerous on a motorbike, so I bought a bigger bike now to take out small obstacles if necessary.  Stopping or swerving away is a possble death call.

yeah i reckon braking and locking the front wheel will cause a crash, better to try and plough straight through, maybe...

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

yeah i reckon braking and locking the front wheel will cause a crash, better to try and plough straight through, maybe...

If enough time, slamming on the back brake to lock the back wheel and initiating a sideways skid on the left side is the best when a serious collision is unavoidable.  try to stay on the bike and not high side it.  That's what we taught on the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's beginner's course.

Edited by gamb00ler

4 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

near the Khao Talo traffic light junction in Nong Prue, Bang Lamung District, Chonburi.

Happened on Sukhumvit road.

Two morons on a high speed race on Sukhumvit?

Motorbike rider desperately try to get over for a right turn at the light?

Edited by KhunBENQ
EDITED: of course Sukhumvit

2 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

If enough time, slamming on the back brake to lock the back wheel and initiating a sideways skid on the left side is the best when a serious collision is unavoidable.  try to stay on the bike and not high side it.  That's what we taught on the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's beginner's course.

Yes but often people's instinct is grab the front brake, that's why ABS is good for beginners 

23 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes but often people's instinct is grab the front brake, that's why ABS is good for beginners 

absolutely ABS is good but it doesn't work 100%.

I drove a Gold Wing for decades and my last one had ABS.  One time my front wheel was on very smooth and wet concrete as I made a slow turn into a mall parking lot.  I barely touched the front brake and the wheel locked and skidded enough to make the bike fall over onto the engine crash guard.  I was amazed but unhurt.

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

I drove a Gold Wing for decades and my last one had ABS.  One time my front wheel was on very smooth and wet concrete as I made a slow turn into a mall parking lot.  I barely touched the front brake and the wheel locked and skidded enough to make the bike fall over onto the engine crash guard.  I was amazed but unhurt.

ABS wasn't switched off? i know my BMW had an ABS on/off switch

I’ve often wondered how many motorcyclists are ‘saved’ each day by the avoiding actions of motorists.

Its seems a daily occurrence when driving that I have a avoid a motorcyclist either by emergency braking or swerving.

- they pull out from a side soi without looking, I have to brake to avoid hitting them.

- on the narrow spud they pass oncoming traffic heading straight towards me, I have to brake to allow them space to ‘nip in front of the car they are overtaking’ , or I have to swerve to give them space & avoid clipping them. 

51 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

Do you know how ABS works?  (Honest question.)

Edited by BangkokReady

16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

- they pull out from a side soi without looking, I have to brake to avoid hitting them.

- on the narrow spud they pass oncoming traffic heading straight towards me, I have to brake to allow them space to ‘nip in front of the car they are overtaking’ , or I have to swerve to give them space & avoid clipping them.

Yep, same with driving a bike and car/moto pulls out of soi not even looking.
Mad drivers!

heading straight towards me - yep, double yellow line is just for kicks!
We were taught that solid line and double solid line is like a WALL, imagine a WALL where the double line is. Never cross it!

Driving on the wrong side of the road and not making a u-turn or at least 90 degree turn is punishable by 6 month DL suspension on the spot and a hefty fine, in Russia at least.

Edited by Tim K

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Squeeze both brakes simulateously is the way to do it. Last year, a car cut in front of me as I was slowing down before a red light, and the ABS on my PCX worked great, I went from approx. 30 km/h to a full stop almost immediately.

12 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Do you know how ABS works?  (Honest question.)

for sure... 

there is a wheel sensor that indicates if the wheel is turning.  The ABS braking system includes a computer that checks that sensor many times (100's?) per second to make sure the wheel is actually turning.  If the ABS computer detects that the wheel has stopped turning the brakes are released for a short time to allow the wheel to turn again. 

To test the ABS system, find a safe area to get up to a decent speed and then slam on the brakes.  On the Gold Wing I could feel the pulsing of the brakes as the computer very quickly released and then re-applied the brakes.

@scubascuba3, I never turned the ABS off.  There was an ABS status indicator when turning on the bike.  If it was accidentally off I would have noticed.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

If the surface is good, slamming both brakes is the best.  If your braking traction is compromised going for the sideways slide is often better.  In later years, I think all the large bikes had integrated braking where both brakes were activated whenever the front or back brake lever was used.

Edited by gamb00ler

31 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’ve often wondered how many motorcyclists are ‘saved’ each day by the avoiding actions of motorists.

Its seems a daily occurrence when driving that I have a avoid a motorcyclist either by emergency braking or swerving.

What I often tell people who are new to Thailand is that the rule on the road is "they do what they want to do and others adapt to it".

What's amazing about that system is that it actually works most of the time…