Doing work at wife farm!

Time for a new tread what you can do or not do at your own/wife land tread. 

My wife is going to ask emigration today, "what can my husband do at my farm while he is living with me and have a retirement visa". I'm curious if anybody else has asked emigration the same question. We are not a big commercial farm, and have little sales of fish, fruits and nuts which I never do anything about.

8 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Time for a new tread what you can do or not do at your own/wife land tread. 

My wife is going to ask emigration today, "what can my husband do at my farm while he is living with me and have a retirement visa". I'm curious if anybody else has asked emigration the same question. We are not a big commercial farm, and have little sales of fish, fruits and nuts which I never do anything about.

My Thai wife is a member of  our Village Committee, so I sometimes used to get involved, painting,  reparing things around the viilage, until a Thai Resident asked why is a Farang doing work,  and not a Thai, my wife pointed out that  I am a  Volunteer,   and a Thai would want money to help,  that promted me into asking Immigration what, if any work i can do, one officer said if im volunteering then its no problem, another officer  1 month later said i would be subject to arrest,  they make up the rules as they go along, be careful

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, MalcolmB said:

I doubt you will get a straight answer.

Ask ten different officers get 10 different answers.

But good luck.

Exactly 

I think asking will only make them more aware of you, but I already moved back to my country anyway, and are just here on temporary basis from now on. 

16 minutes ago, actonion said:

My Thai wife is a member of  our Village Committee, so I sometimes used to get involved, painting,  reparing things around the viilage, until a Thai Resident asked why is a Farang doing work,  and not a Thai, my wife pointed out that  I am a  Volunteer,   and a Thai would want money to help,  that promted me into asking Immigration what, if any work i can do, one officer said if im volunteering then its no problem, another officer  1 month later said i would be subject to arrest,  they make up the rules as they go along, be careful

Technically, you do need a work permit for volunteer or charity work.

However, it is down to the individual in charge.

I was at a meeting that was trying to sort out beach patrol and life saving here on the island.

I asked the mayor if I would need a work permit in order to help.

His response was that no one will ever have a problem doing volunteer work that helps the community or saves lives. No work permit needed.

I have said this many times - there is the letter of Thai law and there is the spirit of Thai law.

Spirit wins every time.

37 minutes ago, actonion said:

one officer said if im volunteering then its no problem,

Wrong.

37 minutes ago, actonion said:

another officer  1 month later said i would be subject to arrest

Correct.

Though personally I have done a lot of “volunteer” work for my wife, out of sight of others of course. A permit is not required for doing chores and maintenance around the house and building your house. Though a permit is required I do believe if you’re going to pitch in on helping a contractor do labor…?

Edited by novacova

31 minutes ago, actonion said:

You should ask the Labor office for starters and not immigration. the Labor law says you need a work permit for any work and you won't get one with a retirement visa. then you have the list of work which you aren't allowed to do anyway.

Today's Emigration officer, answered to my wife question, that I could do everything and anything in our home! She was even laughing, and joking I maybe did not want to work. 

I can not verify, because I was not there today to register my homecoming. However, we/wife can still not register online, so every time we or she have to drive 182km round-trip. 

So goo's news or is it bad news ?