Dental care (cavity): Thailand, Vietnam or Korea?

43 minutes ago, anotherfarangishere said:

Contacted many in Bangkok, they all speak about 4000.

What does you contacted mean? Did you send emails or called them or showed up in person for the dentists to have a look? There might be a communication error.

Edited by msbkk

15 minutes ago, msbkk said:

What does you contacted mean? Did you send emails or called them or showed up in person for the dentists to have a look? There might be a communication error.

Email. And yes I got 600 bahts by surface for one. But a tooth has 5 surfaces. So if they charge me 5 surfaces + sterilization, it could be between 3 and 4K.

An other one announced between 1.5 and 4K. Always by email.

18 minutes ago, anotherfarangishere said:

Email. And yes I got 600 bahts by surface for one. But a tooth has 5 surfaces. So if they charge me 5 surfaces + sterilization, it could be between 3 and 4K.

An other one announced between 1.5 and 4K. Always by email.

It is not really clear what you mean. Do you have 5 cavities within 1 tooth? Or 5 teeth with 1 cavity each? I think that even the dentist will have some problems in understanding this exactly without having a look in person. I suggest you let a dentist have a look at your teeth. And the  size and deepness of the cavities is important to have a real treatment plan. I doubt that with email you can really get a clear and sure answer.

Edited by msbkk

It’s like emailing a mechanic and asking them how much to fix your car. 

I’d happily spend 10k to avoid a toothache on a flight to Korea. 

I think the dentists are all wise to skinflints wanting to get quote over email and provide quotes accordingly. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, msbkk said:

It is not really clear what you mean. Do you have 5 cavities within 1 tooth? Or 5 teeth with 1 cavity each? 

I've only - at least, I hope - 1 tooth affected, but according to the answer I got, my understanding was that more than one surface by tooth could be affected. Am I wrong?

3 hours ago, anotherfarangishere said:

Contacted many in Bangkok, they all speak about 4000.

My dental surgeon charges 800 baht for amalgam fillings or 1200 baht for composite. 

No talk with regard to surfaces.

Edited by NowNow

2 hours ago, msbkk said:

It is not really clear what you mean. Do you have 5 cavities within 1 tooth? Or 5 teeth with 1 cavity each? I think that even the dentist will have some problems in understanding this exactly without having a look in person. I suggest you let a dentist have a look at your teeth. And the  size and deepness of the cavities is important to have a real treatment plan. I doubt that with email you can really get a clear and sure answer.

This

• Thumbs Up 1

Phuket, 1000-2000 for tooth. Done about 7 of them this year.
4000 for one seems a bit much.

Went to 3 places, checkup was free, go shop around!

Edited by Tim K

It surprises me that people that (apparently) there are people with plenty of money to travel, that would go to a number of dentists for “free” checkups to save such small money. 

I have a great dentist I’ve been going to for twenty years. A bit pricey, but they are my teeth.