Identification now required to make a cash deposits at Thai Banks?

Went to a local Bangkok Bank branch in CNX to make a deposit at the CDM (Cash Deposit Machiine) and the machine had a garbage bag over it.  Also, a vidoe posted by Integrity Legal states ID is now required to make cash deposits.  I went into the branch and got a number to make cash deposit but gave up an hour later because only one teller was working and the wait time was incredibly long.  Has anyone else heard about this? 

3 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Went to a local Bangkok Bank branch in CNX to make a deposit at the CDM (Cash Deposit Machiine) and the machine had a garbage bag over it.  Also, a vidoe posted by Integrity Legal states ID is now required to make cash deposits.  I went into the branch and got a number to make cash deposit but gave up an hour later because only one teller was working and the wait time was incredibly long.  Has anyone else heard about this? 

Yes, that is correct, anti-money laundering regulations.  If the CDM had been operative you'd have had to use identification also (ATM card for foreigners).

• Like 1

But

1 minute ago, jaywalker2 said:

That's been the case for some time, at least if you're making a deposit with a teller. It's supposed to prevent money laundering.

But I made a deposit at a CDM last week. Of course TIT=Nothing seems to make sense. 

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, that is correct, anti-money laundering regulations.  If the CDM had been operative you'd have had to use identification also (ATM card for foreigners).

Yes, that Is the way I have been doing for years but this time the actual CDM had a garbage bag over it.  Of coures as usual in LOS no one at the branch was there to answery any questions. 

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

As far as I remember, virtually any dealings with the bank have always involved them photocopying my passport I wonder why they don't scan it .  Another organisation that must have literally millions of reams of Photocopied passports stored insecurely somewhere   or do the just throw them in the skip at the end of their shift?

As always this seems redundant (TIT) but a month  ago Bangkok Bank directed me to come into a local branch to register again.  This process as always required my passport being copied again and this time I had to have my face photographed from varioous angles like a booking photo after being arrested.  Now that Bangkok Bank has all this information about me I still need to bring my passport in just to make a cash deposit.  "Somewhere in the world former Aseannow Member Bob Smith must be smiling".  

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

As far as I remember, virtually any dealings with the bank have always involved them photocopying my passport I wonder why they don't scan it .  Another organisation that must have literally millions of reams of Photocopied passports stored insecurely somewhere   or do the just throw them in the skip at the end of their shift?

I’ve heard that store the paper for awhile and then eventually burn it.

This is for comparison purposes, just recently I opened up a bank account with ABA in Cambodia (a few weeks ago), they wanted to see the passport and long term visa which I have.

They asked me to write my address down on a piece of paper which I did - that was good enough for them.

A machine then 'printed' off an ATM Visa debit card for me which I used at the separate deposit machine to deposit $1500 in cash which I had just withdrawn in the same bank from a Thai account.

No problems, simple and easy. The guy said I can alter the address on the app myself to make it more accurate if I want but don't do it until the next day as their system updates overnight or something along those lines.

Thailand is going to drown in red tape if it continues along this road.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Mate, I have lived here for 8 years and reall ydon't like carrying my passport most of the time.  Of course this is the land of redundancy, absurdity and at times looney toons. 

I only carry my passport  on three occasions  1) visiting the bank  which occurs once every blue moon when my ATM card expires, 

2) Visiting immigration once of twice a year,  and  3)  when travelling .  Not too onerous really in my opinion 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, it is what it is said:

mate, when you've been here a bit longer you'll realise passport id is required for all sorts of things, just get used to it, it's really no big deal

And when you've lived here even longer, you'll realize that a pink card will suffice in lieu of your passport for all sorts of things, which is much less of a deal. So that's what I use, mostly. 

3 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:
3 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

That's been the case for some time, at least if you're making a deposit with a teller. It's supposed to prevent money laundering.

But I made a deposit at a CDM last week. Of course TIT=Nothing seems to make sense. 

...and you used your ATM card.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:
3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, that Is the way I have been doing for years but this time the actual CDM had a garbage bag over it.  Of coures as usual in LOS no one at the branch was there to answery any questions. 

So the CDM was probably out of order/offline or being taken out of service.   

2 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

As always this seems redundant (TIT) but a month  ago Bangkok Bank directed me to come into a local branch to register again.  This process as always required my passport being copied again and this time I had to have my face photographed from varioous angles like a booking photo after being arrested.  Now that Bangkok Bank has all this information about me I still need to bring my passport in just to make a cash deposit.  

"...this time I had to have my face photographed..."

That was for facial recognition for security reasons and required to make app transfers over a certain amount.

"I still need to bring my passport in just to make a cash deposit".

Yes, as already explained, ID is required for cash deposits for AML reasons.