Elderly Woman in Tears at ATM: Receives 10,000 Baht to Support Family

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

She expressed gratitude to the government for this assistance, emphasizing the need for continued support for impoverished and disabled individuals. Given her family’s difficult circumstances, she hopes to acquire a wheelchair to help sell goods and improve their income.

The government could do so much better for people like her. That money will soon be gone on essentials and probably debt. Their should be a minimum living allowance for people genuinely unable to work by reason of age or disability. 

• Like 1

Where are the parents of the grandchildren or are all their parents disabled ?

The amount old people in this country get handed out monthly from the government is shocking . You would be lucky if it could feed a person for a month if they just bought eggs and rice to cook and that's not including any sauce for cooking , oil , gas for cooking. Then there is basics like soap , drinking water etc. 🫤

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Among them was Ms. Noi Yaemprakhon, who was thrilled to have the money deposited into her account. With the help of security staff, she withdrew the cash, overwhelmed with happiness and crying at the ATM amid a crowd of others.

And the government are adamant that this is going to boost the economy...

What a sad state of affairs.

• Agree 2

Just now, Zack61 said:

I fear for an elderly lady living in my orbit. Whenever her long lost relatives hear of this she’s likely to get a request for a “loan”. She has such a soft heart I know she won’t be able to say no. I hope I’m wrong. 

Yeah.

The TV station should have her face and  name suppressed  when they aired this news not to draw  wrong sorts of attention.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

A poor woman .... what can she do with a one time 10k handout??? It is just a drop there is more needed for every day every year.. When does the Government and businesses with the ultra rich get that??  

This kind of stories is only to give a good feeling and show how good this Government is, but the reality for them is different

Her disabled siblings and child should also be receiving 10,000 Baht sometime, so hopefully it will be shared out.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Gandtee said:

How many will get cheated out of their newfound wealth when the parasites come around?

I saw it in the small town where I was living a few years ago when a lot of poor received 3,000 Baht.  This was on a Friday and when the people came out of the bank the huskers and food vendors were ready.  What was left was spent on liquor for the weekend and by Monday morning they were in the same position they were Friday morning before the bank opened.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Gandtee said:

How many will get cheated out of their newfound wealth when the parasites come around?

Already active in y extended Thai family. Older sister of my Thai son's wife had already contacted all asking them to give her 50%.

Why? She's trying to gather enough money for a deposit on a new EV car.

Been rejected by all. Mostly because she and her unpleasant husband ran a quite successful business for several decades and they have enough funds in their bank account to pay cash for the car they want. 

Also true you could find this 'scenario' in any country.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

After all the rhetoric as to how this bribe would dispersed including only being spent in specific areas and retail outlets and only on limited items it has actually been dispensed in cash. Good luck to those who spend wisely and bad luck to parasites and those who would see to exploit the owners. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My partner took her mum this morning to withdraw her 10k baht payment in Fang, Chiang Mai. She said that the various banks there were absolutely rammed with people withdrawing their payment. She said they were queuing out the door at the banks she passed.  

12 minutes ago, Keeps said:

My partner took her mum this morning to withdraw her 10k baht payment in Fang, Chiang Mai. She said that the various banks there were absolutely rammed with people withdrawing their payment. She said they were queuing out the door at the banks she passed.  

plenty of parties tonight in every village in Thailand.  We'll have to wait for tomorrows news to see who shot who.  :burp:

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Zack61 said:

I fear for an elderly lady living in my orbit. Whenever her long lost relatives hear of this she’s likely to get a request for a “loan”. She has such a soft heart I know she won’t be able to say no. I hope I’m wrong. 

Similar to my FIL. Son wanted to come and stay with him for a couple of nights. Fortunately my wife is smart enough to hold his ATM card so her brother will get nothing.