Siamburi

bradiston

5 hours ago, bradiston said:

Huh? Tucked away behind one small stall between meat and veg? The meat stalls turn my stomach. The stench is terrible. I'm usually there about 2-3am getting veg and herbs. Always sweet basil  (ho la pa), dill if I have some salmon. I buy a whole side and cut it into portions and freeze. Maybe an avocado or two, maybe an apple or two. I got 3 granny smiths for 20 THB there recently. They were good, too. Amongst the kiwi gala and Chinese imports.

What has any of that to do with coconut milk? 😊

24 minutes ago, NowNow said:

What has any of that to do with coconut milk? 😊

You seemed to suggest I was too blind to see it. Truth is, I've never looked for it either. My mind's elsewhere when shopping in Ratanakorn. I sometimes buy a bottle of fresh coconut water. Great for rehydrating.

Edited by bradiston

11 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

but yet street good vendors leave raw meat on display no problem

do you eat those meat raw? 

FDA is only concerned with packaged foods on shelves, if it's served on stall or behind counter, in restaurant settings, that's fine, the rationale is that there's someone to explain the ingredients if need be, but random pies and pastry cooked by some farang in their kitchen wrapped in foil or plastic on shelves? Cooked food with someone on market stall means at least someone's responsible for serving them

Sure you can sell directly to your customers, to restaurant to serve to customers without FDA approval, but the moment you leave them in fridge for customers to pick themselves, that's when you need FDA

Cut/Sliced/grated cheese you can sell behingd the counter no problem, go to Big C or any supermarket and you'll see them packed in store, no fda numbers either, same with sausages like bologna, but usually the sliced ones are behind the counter and served from a staff, and pre-sliced packaged from the factory woutd have FDA numbers on them

I think issue with the business in question is lots of random foodstuff like pies from local guy not having any labelling at all

And once the FDA visited the premise, they took issue with everything from the cut cheese, which even big supermarket might be in breach of too

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, NowNow said:

Yes, all heat treated.

image.png.b98cdfa4d823f12d404c6d4e028ee9b0.png

Have to concede. But they don't display any UHT labelling. But buried in the Thai description, decipherable with Lens, it mentions UHT packaging. It has FDA approval, a blue logo, and halal, an Arabic script logo. Why don't they put UHT labelling on it?

• Thumbs Up 1