Thai Baht is ruining my retirement

Jerry777

On 9/27/2024 at 10:08 PM, GinBoy2 said:

Well you live overseas away from your home country income source and you live with it.

Not a lot you can do but tighten your belt when things get tough, then splurge when things get good

Sure the baht per $ is down in part because of drop in US interest rate. But because of the drop in US interest rate I can live with this:

image.png.eab3af4ef34da0372926001a0eb8d783.png

19 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

When you do your forecasts and budgeting, calculate at different exchange rates to see whether you can afford to live here

It is possible that, depending  how owns finances are structured stateside, to be net ahead with $ dropping against the baht and the S&P at records highs.

1 minute ago, jerrymahoney said:

It is possible that, depending  how owns finances are structured stateside, to be net ahead with $ dropping against the baht and the S&P at records highs.

Not only possible, it's entirely probable. 

• Agree 1

On 9/26/2024 at 8:55 PM, Jerry777 said:

How can I plan a dam thing when the currency here is completely out of control?

By obviously planning retirement better.  You didn't really think the THB was going to stay in the 36-37-38 range or go higher ... did you ?  :cheesy:

Better Research = Better Retirement

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

By obviously planning retirement better.  You didn't really think the THB was going to stay in the 36-37-38 range or go higher ... did you ?  :cheesy:

Better Research = Better Retirement

Plan for a better retirement... why didn't they think about that? 

Unfortunately for a lot of people their retirement funds are more or less thrust upon them 

Don't hate on me, I (& you)  are the lucky ones... But it really doesn't help guys who are impacted by the drop in Thai Baht... 

Edited by Mike Teavee

31 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Plan for a better retirement... why didn't they think about that? 

Unfortunately for a lot of people their retirement funds are more or less thrust upon them 

Don't hate on me, I (& you)  are the lucky ones... But it really doesn't help guys who are impacted by the drop in Thai Baht... 

If they were a little thin in the budget department, they probably shouldn't have moved internationally, and or burnt their bridges, and stayed in their home country, with a safety net, and programs to help them.

If I was single, not vested in, with house & car, had to rent, had payments of any kind, health insurance, then I'd need all of that 800k required. to enjoy living here.   Could do it for less, but doubt if I'd enjoy it or qualify for a visa.

Anyone making the financials, really shouldn't have a budget problem.  65k a month is more than enough to live on.

Exchange rate is a roller coaster ride, though only 10-20% the past 15 years, 30-35 with some nice short lived highs, 35+.

If Op got here & stayed, 1999, then just a year before myself.  Rate was 40-45- 30-35 (most of the tme)-then 38-32 now.   I expect it to hit 30 before Nov, then recover to 33 before Feb 2025.

Harris wins, we win, and it will go up.   Trump wins, we lose, if lucky, it won't dip below 30 again.

Just now, KhunLA said:

If they were a little thin in the budget department, they probably shouldn't have moved internationally, and or burnt their bridges, and stayed in their home country, with a safety net, and programs to help them.

If I was single, not vested in, with house & car, had to rent, had payments of any kind, health insurance, then I'd need all of that 800k required. to enjoy living here.   Could do it for less, but doubt if I'd enjoy it or qualify for a visa.

Anyone making the financials, really shouldn't have a budget problem.  65k a month is more than enough to live on.

Exchange rate is a roller coaster ride, though only 10-20% the past 15 years, 30-35 with some nice short lived highs, 35+.

If Op got here & stayed, 1999, then just a year before myself.  Rate was 40-45- 30-35 (most of the tme)-then 38-32 now.   I expect it to hit 30 before Nov, then recover to 33 before Feb 2025.

Harris wins, we win, and it will go up.   Trump wins, we lose, if lucky, it won't dip below 30 again.

Agree.. .But you did it when you were young 🙂

I did it 1st time at 40 (got bored) 

2nd  time at 46 (Very happy retired but a mate wanted me to help out on a project in Singapore... I'd lived there for the previous 6 years & loved the place so I did another 7 years).

3rd time... (53) I walked... 

At 40 I had a final salary pension that would give me a life that I I felt I could be "Comfortable" with.

My point was that other guys might not be so lucky.

3 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Agree.. .But you did it when you were young 🙂

I did it 1st time at 40 (got bored) 

2nd  time at 46 (Very happy retired but a mate wanted me to help out on a project in Singapore... I'd lived there for the previous 6 years & loved the place so I did another 7 years).

3rd time... (53) I walked... 

At 40 I had a final salary pension that would give me a life that I I felt I could be "Comfortable" with.

My point was that other guys might not be so lucky.

... and dumb, as I didn't do any real research, not even about visas.   Which if not taking in the village orphan, would have been a major oops, as had a few years before 1st Thai wife divorce and turning 50 ... :cheesy:

Of course at 45/46, knew I could just hop a plane and leave for USA or elsewhere with no problem.

The ones not so lucky, maybe should have stayed in home country.   To me, that would have just been common sense.

• Love It 1

Between the tax doubts on foreign pensions or income, the overcharged Bhat, those who can, are leaving Thailand for other more western friendly countries in the region. Even places like Malta or Spain offer a decent quality of life, good healthcare, great girls, cheap food and booze, for those on a pension budget. And with far less xenophobia and immigration hassles compared to Thailand. Cyprus, Malta or Spain guys,....check it out.

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

... and dumb, as I didn't do any real research, not even about visas.   Which if not taking in the village orphan, would have been a major oops, as had a few years before 1st Thai wife divorce and turning 50 ... :cheesy:

Of course at 45/46, knew I could just hop a plane and leave for USA or elsewhere with no problem.

The ones not so lucky, maybe should have stayed in home country.   To me, that would have just been common sense.

Love it & wish I could have (had the nuts to have? done that 😊

• Thumbs Up 1