Help on "Retirement Visa"

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

As we know all IO are different. but this one is from Jomtian but it may help.

retirementcombojomtian..jpg.395ca4de09a42aa8d96b9525c268fb84.jpg

And this one from Trat

copyretiremoney.jpg.5da23d060342c912fc489fc52ea10c48.jpg

Again, it seems to be different depending on which part of the country you are in.

In Phuket we do not need a residence certificate, the TM30 (done online)  will do instead as I have used it twice so far + TM 47 (done online).

One photo of you outside the house which shows the house number.

Map showing residence, this has to be a satellite Google map picture showing the latitude and longitude of the house. 

One year of bank statements copies showing the two months, then three months, minimum 800k amount then minimum 400k until two months before the next extension application.

Bank savings book copies showing 1-year history.

1 minute ago, JamesPhuket10 said:

Again, it seems to be different depending on which part of the country you are in.

In Phuket we do not need a residence certificate, the TM30 (done online)  will do instead as I have used it twice so far + TM 47 (done online).

One photo of you outside the house which shows the house number.

Map showing residence, this has to be a satellite Google map picture showing the latitude and longitude of the house. 

One year of bank statements copies showing the two months, then three months, minimum 800k amount then minimum 400k until two months before the next extension application.

Bank savings book copies showing 1-year history.

If only they could all abide by the same rules, then so many would not have problems with visas or extensions  but TIT. then there is this one. ⬇

copy2.jpg.c4aa7ec401eaaac30f34df69c4e18651.jpg.5df4e2da052bdedba08fb97c7ee66130.jpg

8 hours ago, brianthainess said:

If only they could all abide by the same rules, then so many would not have problems with visas or extensions  but TIT. then there is this one. ⬇

copy2.jpg.c4aa7ec401eaaac30f34df69c4e18651.jpg.5df4e2da052bdedba08fb97c7ee66130.jpg

Exactly, "as requested by the officer" so there is no way of knowing what that is until after you have followed the pamphlet given out to you, got the documents together, and then turned up to see what rings that particular officer will put you through.

Even the pamphlets handed out are different depending on which areas you are in, then, in addition, it is a potluck what happens unless we somehow get hold of a crystal ball?

Maybe the immigration officers throw off their Thai illogical ways when they go to work in London for example, as there everything is clearly defined and you know what is expected to get a visa as it is set in black and white, my last few visas in London were applied for online and were done almost by return of post.

My last visit to the Thai Embassy in London was easygoing, we were told what to bring beforehand, and it took fifteen minutes to order a Thai birth certificate for my half-Thai son who was born in and has lived all his life in England.

That was future planning in order for me to buy a house and the land it sits on in Thailand in his name as he obtained a Thai ID and passport. 

But in Thailand for some reason, the staff could not organize a piss-up in a brewery. 😄

Luckily, they do not do any real science in Thailand otherwise the world would be gone.

But apart from having to do the paperwork once a year, most other things in Thailand are great so overall I am positive about being here. 👍

• Sad 2

12 hours ago, Expat68 said:

I was talking to a friend last night and he can't get a retirement visa because the banks will not let him open a bank account. Can you get a retirement visa with funds in your own country?

Tell him to try different banks and even different branches of the same banks as the clerks there all have a different understanding of who can and can not open a bank account.

I opened a Bangkok Bank in Phuket with a 30-day visa.

It all worked with an ATM, debit card, etc, but I had to get a one-year visa extension before I could use online banking also with the iPhone app. 

12 hours ago, JamesPhuket10 said:

Exactly, "as requested by the officer" so there is no way of knowing what that is until after you have followed the pamphlet given out to you, got the documents together, and then turned up to see what rings that particular officer will put you through.

Even the pamphlets handed out are different depending on which areas you are in, then, in addition, it is a potluck what happens unless we somehow get hold of a crystal ball?

Maybe the immigration officers throw off their Thai illogical ways when they go to work in London for example, as there everything is clearly defined and you know what is expected to get a visa as it is set in black and white, my last few visas in London were applied for online and were done almost by return of post.

My last visit to the Thai Embassy in London was easygoing, we were told what to bring beforehand, and it took fifteen minutes to order a Thai birth certificate for my half-Thai son who was born in and has lived all his life in England.

That was future planning in order for me to buy a house and the land it sits on in Thailand in his name as he obtained a Thai ID and passport. 

But in Thailand for some reason, the staff could not organize a piss-up in a brewery. 😄

Luckily, they do not do any real science in Thailand otherwise the world would be gone.

But apart from having to do the paperwork once a year, most other things in Thailand are great so overall I am positive about being here. 👍

I must say I have always followed the list they gave me and I've not had any problems in 8 years. But I agree, imagine say that every football club had their own rules....:cheesy:

But just on a side note, that list was first given to me in 'Thai' when I went to apply, I told them I can't read Thai, she said your wife can tell you, I then explained my wife's English is not that good, and anyway how many Thais have to apply for an extension, it should be in English. When I returned a month later she literally ran straight up to me as, I walked in, all smiles, waving the list in English ( 2 pages ) that she had Translated, not a google translate, and they have had those lists there now ever since.    :clap2: :wai:

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, JamesPhuket10 said:

Tell him to try different banks and even different branches of the same banks as the clerks there all have a different understanding of who can and can not open a bank account.

It all worked with an ATM, debit card, etc, but I had to get a one-year visa extension before I could use online banking also with the iPhone app. 

He has

On 9/28/2024 at 7:54 PM, JamesPhuket10 said:

In my case, back in 2016, I opened up a bank account at the Phuket town main branch of Bangkok bank when o a 30 day visa exempt.  But I noticed for the past couple of years, a big sign indoors at that branch that they will no longer open new accounts for foreigners who are in the country visa exempt. 

I believe that is why if one doesn't already have a Thai bank account it is typically superior to 1st get one's Type-O visa from outside of Thailand and then as soon as one is in Phuket immediately open the bank account when on that account. 

I have read ( for some other provinces)  it may be possible to open a Bank account when in Thailand on a visa exempt status by paying an agent to handle the application,  but I do not myself know of any agents in Phuket. 

• Agree 1

I also need advice to prepare for my second Retirement Visa Extension.

I’m getting things in order for my second retirement visa extension next June.

I received my first extension in June, and I recently completed my first 90-day report. I plan to spend 400k of my 800k but will top it back up 2 months before my next extension application.

My question is about my bank history—since I live 100km round trip from the only Bangkok Bank in my province (it’s in a busy market with no parking), I haven’t updated my bank book since getting my extension in June.

Will this be an issue when I apply for my next extension next June?

Also, my bank book in the past sometimes showed transaction summaries instead of individual ones. I know I can get a bank statement—will this be enough as proof?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

21 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Also, my bank book in the past sometimes showed transaction summaries instead of individual ones. I know I can get a bank statement—will this be enough as proof?

You should obtain a 12 month bank statement as you mentioned "consolidated" transaction entries.

Also immigration want to see an activity each month in bank book (immigration offices vary on this) 

Bangkok Bank take 5-7 business days to provide 12 month bank statement.

Discussed in this thread

https://aseannow.com/topic/1320006-bank-statement-requirements-for-one-year-retirement-visa-extension/

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

I also need advice to prepare for my second Retirement Visa Extension.

A visa cannot be extended.
You apply to extend your permission of stay, a permit, not a visa.

12 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

My question is about my bank history—since I live 100km round trip from the only Bangkok Bank in my province (it’s in a busy market with no parking), I haven’t updated my bank book since getting my extension in June.

Will this be an issue when I apply for my next extension next June?

If you use an ATM to update your passbook, it cannot automatically turn pages, so will consolidate transactions given the space available.

If you go in the branch to the counter, they can update listing all your previous transactions.

Edited by Liquorice

23 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

A visa cannot be extended.
You apply to extend your permission of stay, a permit, not a visa.

If you use an ATM to update your passbook, it cannot automatically turn pages, so will consolidate transactions given the space available.

If you go in the branch to the counter, they can update listing all your previous transactions.

At the ATM s that I use when the page is full they return the passbook and instruct you to manually turn the page and re insert it, the outstanding transactions are then printed.

If one has the assets to qualify the Wealthy Pensioner LTR issued by the BOI is the way to go IMO.

I’m starting the process next week after years of OA extensions via the 65k baht monthly transfer method.

Edited by G_Money
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, terryq said:

At the ATM s that I use when the page is full they return the passbook and instruct you to manually turn the page and re insert it, the outstanding transactions are then printed.

Which bank and have you tried it?

In my experiences, the ATM is unaware you wish all transactions printed and will therefore consolidate transactions with the given space on the page.

3 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

In my experiences, the ATM is unaware you wish all transactions printed and will therefore consolidate transactions with the given space on the page.

BBL

22 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Which bank have you had that experience at? I have accounts at Bangkok Bank, Krungsri, SCB, Kasikorn Bank and Krung Thai and none of them work like you describe.

Of course, if you don't update regularly transactions will be consolidated (although Krungsri doesn't seem to do that).

1 minute ago, terryq said:

BBL

Is that a Fixed term account or a Savings account.

A FTD account will only have two entries to update, any added interest and the balance.

Savings account could have multiple deposit and withdrawal transactions.

I'm also with BBL and can assure you if you haven't updated the passbook for a period of time and only have availability of 3/4 lines for printing on that page entered into the ATM, it will consolidate those transactions bringing the balance up to date. If you manually flip the page and re-enter in the ATM, it will spit the book out, as it's already up-to-date.

1 minute ago, Liquorice said:

Is that a Fixed term account or a Savings account.

A FTD account will only have two entries to update, any added interest and the balance.

Savings account could have multiple deposit and withdrawal transactions.

I'm also with BBL and can assure you if you haven't updated the passbook for a period of time and only have availability of 3/4 lines for printing on that page entered into the ATM, it will consolidate those transactions bringing the balance up to date. If you manually flip the page and re-enter in the ATM, it will spit the book out, as it's already up-to-date.

The operative words here are "for e period of time". I have updated my Bangkok Bank accounts at the machine many times, and unless it has been more than three months (or so) since my last update, the machine will spit the book out and ask me to turn to a new page and reinsert the book.

5 minutes ago, Sophon said:

Of course, if you don't update regularly transactions will be consolidated (although Krungsri doesn't seem to do that).

I rarely update my Savings account passbook as I use an FTD account for Immigration purposes.

An ATM update will consolidate transactions since the last update, coded CMB in the book (Bangkok bank)
In branch, they can print all transactions over that same period of time.

19 minutes ago, Sophon said:

The operative words here are "for e period of time".

Agreed.

If you're not using the monthly overseas transfer method for annual extensions, then it's irrelevant, but if do use that method then it's important to regularly update your passbook.

I pay 15BHT per month for the instant SMS message service.
Every transaction is therefore notified by SMS and stored on my phone, so updating my Savings account passbook regularly is not necessary, particularly as I don't use my Savings account for Immigration purposes.

Example of a consolidation of transactions using ATM at BBL.

Scan2024-10-03_114407.thumb.jpg.8f1d7fe3a6f829814e299d61b8781308.jpg

Between 9/1 to 18/6, I did not update my passbook.
When I updated on 18/6 the ATM merely consolidated all transactions between 9/1 to 24/5 and the remaining transactions between 24/5 to 18/6.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I contacted Bangkok Bank HQ, and they confirmed that any updates over three months old, whether from an ATM or branch, will be summarized.

Then, I called the branch. According to them, any statement with more than 30 transactions will be summarized—and I’ve done 60.😞

Next, I reached out to Immigration (TM), and they clarified that the bank statement will support the bank book.

Here's their process:

• One week before applying, request a 12-month statement from the bank.
  • On the day of the application, visit Immigration (TM) in the morning to check the application. If everything’s in order, head to the bank to get the bank letter and statement, then return to Immigration for the extension.

I asked why the back-and-forth between Immigration and the bank, and they said it was to save on the bank statement fee if they reject it. 😞

Edited by LosLobo

41 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

If you're not using the monthly overseas transfer method for annual extensions, then it's irrelevant, but if do use that method then it's important to regularly update your passbook.

Even if using the 800K in the bank method you need to be careful about not having consolidated entries... I nearly got caught out by them when extending at CW but my Agent caught it & took me to the bank to get a statement covering the period in question.  

Edited by Mike Teavee

27 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Then, I called the branch. According to them, any statement with more than 30 transactions will be summarized—

Indeed. I thought it was 30 wasn't sure.

Also as mentioned earlier I had issue (CW) regarding two months out of the 12 having no entry (transaction) 

I use money in bank method and was told to obtain a 12 month bank statement.

Strange that the 10+ extensions prior to that the "no activity" was fine..

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Indeed. I thought it was 30 wasn't sure.

Also as mentioned earlier I had issue (CW) regarding two months out of the 12 having no entry (transaction) 

I use money in bank method and was told to obtain a 12 month bank statement.

Strange that the 10+ extensions prior to that the "no activity" was fine..

I found CW a breeze, compared to my local. TIT 🙂