PM Declines to Confirm Reduction of Phase 2 Cash Giveaway to 5,000 Baht

webfact

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra has sparked uncertainty by refusing to confirm whether the second phase of the 10,000 baht cash handout will be reduced to 5,000 baht. The cash giveaway was initially intended to support over 30 million people.

In Thai parlance it's Zig Zagging..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, suestra29 said:

Paying 5,000 or 10,000 is not going to stimulate the economy as the money will just go to pay off debt. Meanwhile the government is borrowing the money to pay out this. ‘Twas not thought out and ‘‘twas just a vote catcher. 

Are you an economist? 
Many countries give cash handouts to stimulate the economy, the latest being China. 
Please give credit when credit is due. Three cheers for Pheu Thai

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Hunz Kittisak said:

Are you an economist? 
Many countries give cash handouts to stimulate the economy, the latest being China. 
Please give credit when credit is due. Three cheers for Pheu Thai

There was some doubt as to how much difference 10,000 baht would make, and for how long.  All these reductions will presumably reduce the effect. Has any research been done on this?

If it doesn't work, will it be because it was scaled back and therefore just be money wasted?

Another method used to specifically boost the auto industry around the world were subsidies or tax breaks for buying new more efficient vehicles whilst scrapping old vehicles. Hence 'scrappage schemes'. This should mean no vehicle number increase due to the scheme of properly implemented.

Thailand had its own scheme with it own touch of Thainess. We bought our Honda Jazz in 2012 using this scheme and we still have it on around 274,000km. Because it was fire those buying their first car it resulted in a few things. Grandparents and those who couldn't drive suddenly owning  vehicle, often a pickup which I'd see coming toward me on my side of the narrow road on the way to our local market.

The main difference of course is it increased vehicle count rather than being neutral. That was PT as well. 

Edited by kimamey
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, suestra29 said:

Paying 5,000 or 10,000 is not going to stimulate the economy as the money will just go to pay off debt. Meanwhile the government is borrowing the money to pay out this. ‘Twas not thought out and ‘‘twas just a vote catcher. 

I read today that a Thai only had 4,000

baht as the bank had deducted 6,000 baht from a debt owed if true how will that help the economy . If it’s going to

be reduced to 5,000 baht it proves that they don’t have the funds to

hand out I can see a lot of angry people