How many here on the Farang Pub hope to die in Thailand?

GammaGlobulin

On 9/28/2024 at 4:02 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

Dear Folks,

If you are like me, then you will have probably given this question much thought in recent years.

Where do you hope to die?

For me, it's a no-brainer....Thailand is where I hope to die.

I am not saying that I often think of dying.

I am only saying that I love Thailand so much that I hope to die here.

Also, I am not so young that I want to travel around the world, just looking for some other place to die.

Thailand, after over a decade of non-stop life here, without leaving, is still the place to die....for me.

There are very few better places to die.

And, dying here has the potential to provide reincarnation, as well.

Here in Thailand, we can enjoy a much more laid-back dying experience.

Death, here in Thailand, is far less to be feared, unlike some places, where they try to keep you alive....until...

The very bitter end, which is always a bitter experience, or so I have been told.

I think that guys like me are lucky to be in Thailand, waiting to die here, when the time is ripe.

I will not be sorry to never return to my home country, or to....  The Main Line......

Death on the Main Line would be far less cheerful, IMHO.

Here in Thailand, I find the prospect of dying far less distasteful.....

What about you?

Are you, as I, equally hopeful of dying in Thailand?

No.

I am not saying that this must happen tomorrow.

And, I expect to die here in Thailand.....maybe.....

In the year 2062....

A year, I predict, will be 1.5 degrees C...hotter than now.

Any good thoughts about dying?

Best regards,

Gamma

Yup, same thing in Thailand on a big funeral pyre.  Although, one suggestion the OH had was that he would have me mummified so that we could both be burnt together - an even bigger funeral pyre!  Given that I would dead, that does not worry me.

1 hour ago, Flyguy330 said:

One other thing - I guess many of you should also consider the tax implications of where you are when you die. For my homeland I am Non (Tax) Resident, and they have no claim to any inheritance taxes on my estate. Those taxes are pure robbery in many western nations, and hard to escape - maybe impossible in some, like the UK for example. Once the UK Inland Revenue have their hooks in you there's practically no escape. They own you even after death abroad.

I paid income taxes all my life, at top rates, often over 50%. The assests I managed to accumulate were worked hard for, and bought from taxed income. I got little benefit in return - my son is being charged full overseas tuition rates in University in my homeland in spite of all the money I handed over to them in punitive taxes. I was never a burden on the State, and he didn't even attend junior school there.

I feel highly aggreived, and there's no way they are ever going to get another penny in taxes from me - ESPECIALLY NOT INHERITANCE TAX.

That's all for Him and my descendants.

Had lawyers say the Thai legal system is impossible to deal with for Scottish/English legal firms as the Thai system has priority in Thailand - Not a surprise.  So make a Thai Will.

1 hour ago, Flyguy330 said:

I'm aware now, and it matters to me. I think there's nothing sadder than touring a Colonial era cemetry in Asia and seeing the names of all the people who died far from their homelands, and are buried in foreign soil. I'm interested in their histories, and often look up their names on the internet. But all too often such graves and graveyards are terribly neglected, with weeds and plant overgrowth, toppled headstones, and a general air of abandonment. A disrespected, and ignominious end to brilliant lives.

Also there's the simple fact that my family would probably appreciate having a place to go to where they can 'visit' me, or feel some closeness, even after my death. I feel that need for my own parents and relatives.

My female partner (an Asian girl) had her mothers body cremated on the instructions of her father. He also arranged for the ashes to be scattered in the sea. Now my lady weeps when she thinks of it, and deeply regrets following his instructions. She pines for a memorial, a gravestone to go to, to pay her respects, and feel some closeness to her mother. I'm sorry now that I didn't advise her against it. Now I realise the importance of a physical memorial for relatives. It aids the greaving process.

I can see where you are coming from and no doubt the majority would agree with your views; I however feel detached from such sentiments, the avatar of consciousness is no more, it feels nothing. Yes it may help some to have a gravestone to help with their grief but grieving is a selfish process, it is to do with the personal loss of someone for that person, the dead are relieved of the burden of life. My wife sometimes visits her fathers plaque in the temple wall and brings water and rice even though she never liked him in life, nobody did, not even his wife but it is somehow expected in society, a non negotiable convention, I find it laughable, even someone who was loved is forgotten after a few months while the bill for the bodies repatriation is still being paid off in installments, possibly for years in some cases.

On 9/28/2024 at 4:02 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

Dear Folks,

If you are like me, then you will have probably given this question much thought in recent years.

Where do you hope to die?

For me, it's a no-brainer....Thailand is where I hope to die.

I am not saying that I often think of dying.

I am only saying that I love Thailand so much that I hope to die here.

Also, I am not so young that I want to travel around the world, just looking for some other place to die.

Thailand, after over a decade of non-stop life here, without leaving, is still the place to die....for me.

There are very few better places to die.

And, dying here has the potential to provide reincarnation, as well.

Here in Thailand, we can enjoy a much more laid-back dying experience.

Death, here in Thailand, is far less to be feared, unlike some places, where they try to keep you alive....until...

The very bitter end, which is always a bitter experience, or so I have been told.

I think that guys like me are lucky to be in Thailand, waiting to die here, when the time is ripe.

I will not be sorry to never return to my home country, or to....  The Main Line......

Death on the Main Line would be far less cheerful, IMHO.

Here in Thailand, I find the prospect of dying far less distasteful.....

What about you?

Are you, as I, equally hopeful of dying in Thailand?

No.

I am not saying that this must happen tomorrow.

And, I expect to die here in Thailand.....maybe.....

In the year 2062....

A year, I predict, will be 1.5 degrees C...hotter than now.

Any good thoughts about dying?

Best regards,

Gamma

Stick around with this attitude and you may get your wish when the West comes gunning for China unprovoked.  You do realize where in the hell you live, don't you?

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, MarkBR said:

Yup, same thing in Thailand on a big funeral pyre.  Although, one suggestion the OH had was that he would have me mummified so that we could both be burnt together - an even bigger funeral pyre!  Given that I would dead, that does not worry me.

A burnt offering, then?

• Haha 1

On 9/28/2024 at 8:02 AM, Hummin said:

I have not cut my ties to my home country, so I can choose,

So you can choose what? Where and when you are going to kick it, or whether your remains are repatriated. You will never know.

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

So you can choose what? Where and when you are going to kick it, or whether your remains are repatriated. You will never know.

😄

If I live in my motherland, I will most likely pack it up there, if not something else happens in the moment of bad luck. 

To answer your question, I do not wish to die in Thailand. More convinient to die where you live for those who have to deal with my remains. Personallly I could not care less where I die, but if sick, I do not want to be on my deathbed in Thailand no. 

I still have feelings for my homeland, and I do care alot about my homeland, and ideal, I want to die with my boots on, doing something I enjoy, be it fishing, hunting or just chop wood. Really who cares? Worst scenario, I die in my bed with view of the sea, snow, northern lights surraounding the mountains. 

Im going back to my roots

lofoten-islands-norway-aurora-borealis-northern-lights-NORWAYLIGHTS1017-20d82f5331f342099cdb418e95809dad.webp.694995d44d700bd419f4761388e24c1c.webp

I don't want to die on foreign soil. I want a proper Catholic funeral. I don't want a Buddhist ceremony or a foreign language ceremony (although any religious ceremony is better then nothing).

Edited by JimTripper

11 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Reasons and justification for your thinking....please?

I thought that is obvious from my previous post, Thailand will never be my home, I'm just a guest here with no rights, just duties.

Home I have free health care and medicine, and on top of that an affordable private health insurance.

11 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

So then....

You do not live in the United States.

Lucky!

If I was born in USA, I would most likely joined the army, so I'm not sure how my life would had turned out if lived my life there. Hard to tell, still to young and to old for any large scale war deployments. Maybe a private security company most likely after army. 

Sports depends alot on your parents, so born by a farmer, I'm not sure I would had the same possibilities over there. I have truly been lucky in my life thinking back.

Edited by Hummin

Just now, Hummin said:

I guess so, I owe my country alot, at least my respect

At the very least, everyone knows that the cost of healthcare in the USA is too high.

Also, mental healthcare is not available.

If you suffer a costly illness, then just sell your house, and empty your bank account, so that when you recover, you can become destitute on the street.

At least, here in Thailand, mental healthcare is mostly not needed.

Here in Thailand, crazy people are very few and far between....like hens' teeth, mostly.

The reason there are no crazy people in Thailand is because, here in Thailand, people need not worry about losing their house, just to pay for medical care.

52 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

At least, here in Thailand, mental healthcare is mostly not needed.

Here in Thailand, crazy people are very few and far between....like hens' teeth, mostly.

The reason there are no crazy people in Thailand is because, here in Thailand, people need not worry about losing their house, just to pay for medical care.

here in Thailand, when you have a life crisis or need help, you go to temple, many become monks. Thats the buddhism way to solve mental health problems on surface. Mental health is a huge problem in Thailand, but as foreigners, the only contact we have with people who struggle, is maybe through bar ladies and their families. 

Many girls who works bars, struggle with mental health, 

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Thailand , I have already paid for my plot in the Foreign Grave yard

in Chiang Mai ,Hope I don't need it for a few more years yet though....

regards Worgeordie

WAIT!

Before you go....

On your headstone....

Will be written...WHAT....exactly?

Oh, don't tell me, please!

"regards Worgeordie"

25 minutes ago, Hummin said:

here in Thailand, when you have a life crisis or need help, you go to temple, many become monks. Thats the buddhism way to solve mental health problems on surface. Mental health is a huge problem in Thailand, but as foreigners, the only contact we have with people who struggle, is maybe through bar ladies and their families. 

Many girls who works bars, struggle with mental health, 

Same in many Asian countries....and, for sure....in Taiwan.

This is why there are far less "crazy" people in Thailand/Taiwan....then you will easily witness in the USA.

The family unit takes care of their own, and provides support, which, in turn, lessens rampant "craziness".

Actually....this is very true.

Don't believe me?

Just do the research.

Years ago..... at least in Taiwan.....

Freudian Analysis was unheard of.

Also, years ago....in Taiwan...

Very few people smoked cigars.

And, it was only that famous Democratic President, Bill Clinton, that made cigars more popular on the Isle of Formosa.

I am, of course, referring to various substantiated reports, such as this one.....

image.png.675563f183eefe21f45d0f03ba79c678.png

https://www.pewresearch.org/journalism/1998/10/20/the-cigar/

So, don't tell me that American Presidents are not....NUTZO......on both sides of the aisle.....

Edited by GammaGlobulin