1-year extension based on your original Non Imm O Visa WITHOUT having a Thai bank-account

3 hours ago, Liquorice said:

foolish and irresponsible for long stayers to use that method for funding their lifestyle in Thailand.

Foolish, maybe because it is an expensive way of doing it.

Irresponsible, please explain that one.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I know a few foreigners who reside in Thailand and who neither want nor need a Thai bank account. I think that's fine and it's ridiculous to criticize their personal choice. They all have means and ways to access funds when needed, and it really isn't rocket science.

Would I want to do it, personally? No, I like the convenience of QR code payments, free cardless ATM withdrawals and debit cards in the local currency for hotel bookings etc. All that requires having a Thai bank account.

But that's the thing, anyone who lives here and wants any of that can and will open a Thai bank account. Without being told by strangers on the internet that they need one.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I know a few foreigners who reside in Thailand and who neither want nor need a Thai bank account. I think that's fine and it's ridiculous to criticize their personal choice. They all have means and ways to access funds when needed, and it really isn't rocket science.

Reside, I assume means living in Thailand ongoing.

Outline the "means and ways" since it ain't rocket science.

Don't start with ATM withdrawal using foreign bank account card

21 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Good if you can do that.

I know two people who have had their UK bank accounts terminated because the banks found out the account holder lived in Thailand.

Let these Britishers know they can simply enroll with Coutts Private Bankers 

They won’t have any more problems

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

For posts above re marriage.

Ok... Hopefully divorce never happens.

For the many using extensions based on retirement how do they live in Thailand without bank account.

I hate the tax topics however ongoing transfers to Thai wife or Thai partner might end up problematic in future. 

It is actually quite possible to live long term in Thailand without a Thai bank A/C. Admittedly you did not state 'Thai bank'. I have a UK visa card which I use on a very regular basis, to make purchases in store in Thai Baht, and at ATMs. The down side to using an ATM is the charge they make. The only Thai bank A/C I have is a fixed deposit for the purpose of Immigration.

Not wanting to be difficult Dr Jack, but you should check facts before making statements.

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The bloke the OP referred to has been living in Thailand ongoing for 3 years.

To not have a Thai bank account is ludicrous. 

In your estimation only.

5 minutes ago, Surasak said:

It is actually quite possible to live long term in Thailand without a Thai bank A/C. Admittedly you did not state 'Thai bank'. I have a UK visa card which I use on a very regular basis, to make purchases in store in Thai Baht, and at ATMs. The down side to using an ATM is the charge they make. The only Thai bank A/C I have is a fixed deposit for the purpose of Immigration.

Not wanting to be difficult Dr Jack, but you should check facts before making statements.

Can you link foreign credit card to automatic debit monthly of Condo maintenance  fees, Pea electric payments and 3bb internet services? 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Caldera said:

Would I want to do it, personally? No, I like the convenience of QR code payments, free cardless ATM withdrawals and debit cards in the local currency for hotel bookings etc. All that requires having a Thai bank account.

But that's the thing, anyone who lives here and wants any of that can and will open a Thai bank account. Without being told by strangers on the internet that they need one.

"debit cards in the local currency for hotel bookings etc. All that requires having a Thai bank account." 

I will contradict that part of your post. It IS quite possible to to use a foreign debit card to make payments in Thai Baht. And as stated earlier in a reply to Dr Jack, I do NOT have a Thai bank A/C for purchases.

4 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Can you link foreign credit card to automatic debit monthly of Condo maintenance  fees, Pea electric payments and 3bb internet services? 

I have never had the need to pay those kind of bills, so no.

26 minutes ago, Surasak said:

I'm well aware of the facts.

I'm aware of the options to live in Thailand without a Thai bank account as per the chap mentioned in the OP.

I'm also aware that's it's a silly option to not have a Thai bank account for ongoing living in Thailand.

Possible to not have a Thai bank account: Yes

Stupid option: Yes

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Captain Monday said:

For 3 or 4 days until FedEx or UPS comes around. Sent free of charge by my bank 

Which bank, what Country?

Who pays for FedEx or UPS services?

My UK bank will send to my registered UK address, but not to my Thai address.

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm well aware of the facts.

I'm aware of the options to live in Thailand without a Thai bank account as per the chap mentioned in the OP.

I'm also aware that's it's a silly option to not have a Thai bank account for ongoing living in Thailand.

Possible to not have a Thai bank account: Yes

Stupid option: Yes

You obviously don't want to accept the FACT I use a UK debit card, which I use very regularly to make purchases in stores paying in Thai Baht. The card is issued by Revolut bank and I can transfer UK £ to THB on that card via their app and pay my way using THB. Simple really, so don't tell me I HAVE to have a Thai bank A/C. That is total BULL.

10 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

If you lose or damage that foreign debit card, you have a problem.

As I pointed out earlier in this thread or another....just this weekend I had a fraud transaction on my Debit card Oz account and later Saturday an attempt at supermarket transaction Sydney. 

Surprising as card here with me in Bangkok and last trip to Oz early this year.

I locked the card and also was contacted by Westpac regarding second attempted second transaction. "Suspicious activity" 

They need now issue new card.

That doesn't take long perhaps a week. 

While sister can take pic both sides of new card showing ccv.... 

Fine for booking hotels etc I will not have physical card for a period.

19 minutes ago, Surasak said:

No transfer fees.

There is always a fee for transfers from your home country to your Thai bank account.

Popular option is WISE even though using mid market rate they have steep fee for large amounts.

Some of the posts have been about chump change ATM withdrawals

See how helpful that is for eg buying a condo and needing bank cheques for settlement etc etc

15 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

No, fact according to the OP.
Read the opening post > 3 years ago ....................

Please explain ludicrous not to have a Thai bank A/C.

The only bank A/C I have in Thailand is a FIXED DEPOSIT A/C for Immigration purposes. The last Savings bank a allowed to laps as I had no need of it.

29 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

As in a person's attitude or action.

If you lose or damage that foreign debit card, you have a problem.

Why do you assume that people who don't have a Thai bank account have only a single foreign debit card and that their whole life depends on it? That would be irresponsible, alright, but I don't know anyone in that situation. It's a completely unrealistic horror scenario.

Same with Thai cards. I have several and take at least two of them along when I travel abroad. Even though I usually don't use my Thai cards abroad. It just gives me more options if and when I need them.

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

There is always a fee for transfers from your home country to your Thai bank account.

Popular option is WISE even though using mid market rate they have steep fee for large amounts.

Some of the posts have been about chump change ATM withdrawals

See how helpful that is for eg buying a condo and needing bank cheques for settlement etc etc

Dr Jack, The only fee involved in transferring £600 to BHT on my UK card via the bank app was B44.75. Peanuts, it equates to £1.00.

I have no need or desire to purchase a condo, and I haven't used cheques in 20+ years.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Surasak said:

"debit cards in the local currency for hotel bookings etc. All that requires having a Thai bank account." 

I will contradict that part of your post. It IS quite possible to to use a foreign debit card to make payments in Thai Baht. And as stated earlier in a reply to Dr Jack, I do NOT have a Thai bank A/C for purchases.

Fair enough, I've never had such a card myself. Great to hear that the option exists.