Car Registration Renewal for a Foreigner Living Here

Its due in a few weeks and im trying to do it Online

have tried numerous times .

Once logged in , they want you to confirm your identity with the Thai ID App

part of the process requires you to take a photo of your TID card

everytime  you submit the photo it  fails  saying " unable to read card information

is it just me or the same for all foreigners ?

Thank You

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, johng said:

Go to a shop displaying this sign they will sort everything out for you.

logotoroor.gif.ee20b1d67e09b726fab568b0b86ec817.gif

Agree. I would try this first.....I never knew it could be done online anyway, they still need to update the book,

Best to just go to a LTO you will need a Letter of Residence from Immigration some will accept yellow book/pink card if you have one. Do you have the necessary forms needed from the last owner or is it a new car ?

• Confused 1

What do you mean 'Registration Renewal' ?  Once the car is in your name, you don't have to renew your registration.

If you are refering to paying the annual tax and renewing the compulsory insurance - just go to your local Land Transport Office and do it.  Depending on the age of the car, you may have to go there anyway - if it needs a safety check, you clearly can't do that online.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

you will need a Letter of Residence from Immigration

I never have, nor pink/yellow things, but knowing how things can be inconsistent here there maybe some places looking for it.

• Confused 1

I've seen this 'Registration Renewal' terminology used before

(mostly by Americans)

there is no registration renewal" unless you  fail to pay the annual tax and compulsory insurance for   from memory 3 years.

For the first 7 years  car and truck does not need to be inspected

just pay the annual road tax and compulsory insurance

( better insurance can be bought if you feel the need)

The shops I mentioned above will do everything for a very small fee   including updating tax record in the blue book   its well worth their fee just for that  unless you live right next door to the DLT  and feel like a challenge.

1 minute ago, Upnotover said:

I never have, nor pink/yellow things, but knowing how things can be inconsistent here there maybe some places looking for it.

They don't "LOOK" for it, it is just that IF you have them, a Letter Of Residence from immigration is not not always required. 

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

They don't "LOOK" for it, it is just that IF you have them, a Letter Of Residence from immigration is not not always required. 

Yes, but my point was I have never needed any of them, despite having a yellow book and I certainly never offer it unless it's asked for.

5 minutes ago, 33 RPM said:

in my home country it is called renewing the cars registration

i guess here it is just to pay the annual tax

the compulsory insurance is already paid

If you have the insurance and the blue book, just take that to one of the offices with the blue and yellow sign, pay and get your book and new tax back in about 2 days, i just did mine last week, so simple and quick both days.

9 minutes ago, johng said:

I've seen this 'Registration Renewal' terminology used before

(mostly by Americans)

there is no registration renewal" unless you  fail to pay the annual tax and compulsory insurance for   from memory 3 years.

For the first 7 years  car and truck does not need to be inspected

just pay the annual road tax and compulsory insurance

( better insurance can be bought if you feel the need)

The shops I mentioned above will do everything for a very small fee   including updating tax record in the blue book   its well worth their fee just for that  unless you live right next door to the DLT  and feel like a challenge.

I agree I must have misunderstood his OP I thought he wanted register a car in his name. And what is a TID card ??  I always use those 'shops' as I get my private insurance from them at the same time, 200b for the car check plus 50b EMS so they send it to my home, no hanging about or going back. 

Edited by brianthainess

9 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Yes, but my point was I have never needed any of them, despite having a yellow book and I certainly never offer it unless it's asked for.

Yep my bad thought he wanted to register a car in his name not just renew the tax, a simple procedure,.. on-line I have never heard of, do they send you the new sticker ? or how does it work.

• Thumbs Up 1

Probably  referring to the  "windscreen sticker"?

Annual cost  is in the back of your blue book.

As mentioned go to one of the shops as mentioned, give them your insurance and blue book. If the car over 7 year it will require some tests, most shops will do it for you issue the required documents and arrange everything.

My local "shop" does the lot for 100 baht!

35 minutes ago, LennyW said:

If you have the insurance and the blue book, just take that to one of the offices with the blue and yellow sign, pay and get your book and new tax back in about 2 days, i just did mine last week, so simple and quick both days.

2 days? If you go to the LTO you get it on the spot.

Indeed, but i think they are closed now

Furthermore

cleardot.gif

For those who dislike traveling and prefer not to leave their homes, but their vehicle taxes are about to expire, the pathway to convenience is right here. You don't need to go to the Department of Land Transport (DLT) to renew your car and motorcycle taxes. You can easily renew them anywhere through the e-Service system and the DLT Vehicle TAX application. Just a quick note: make sure to check your vehicle's usage period.
Types of vehicles that can renew taxes online:
  • Cars, pickup trucks, and vans with a usage period not exceeding 7 years.
  • Motorcycles with a usage period not exceeding 5 years.
Before entering the system, don't forget to prepare the necessary documents:
  • Original vehicle registration handbook or a copy.
  • Proof of insurance as per the Motor Vehicle Act.
  • Owner's original national ID card.
  • Certification of vehicle inspection from a private vehicle inspection center (if applicable).
For additional online tax payment steps, you can visit the DLT e-Service system at: https://eservice.dlt.go.th/
You can download the DLT Vehicle TAX application from:

1 hour ago, MangoKorat said:

What do you mean 'Registration Renewal' ?  Once the car is in your name, you don't have to renew your registration.

If you are refering to paying the annual tax and renewing the compulsory insurance - just go to your local Land Transport Office and do it.  Depending on the age of the car, you may have to go there anyway - if it needs a safety check, you clearly can't do that online.

Even the dingiest little testing places are online. They do the check and put it straight into the system. You can just go home and pay the tax online. If you haven't paid the compulsory insurance, you will also be given the chance to do that before you can pay the tax. The disc gets sent by registered mail.

Edited by KhaoNiaw

4 hours ago, 33 RPM said:

Its due in a few weeks and im trying to do it Online

have tried numerous times .

Once logged in , they want you to confirm your identity with the Thai ID App

part of the process requires you to take a photo of your TID card

everytime  you submit the photo it  fails  saying " unable to read card information

is it just me or the same for all foreigners ?

Thank You

The answer is in your question, Thai ID, your a foreigner so you don't have

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

2 days? If you go to the LTO you get it on the spot.

But you have this Shops everywhere, my one is just 1 km away. Why to go to DLT for, what is appr. 25 km away.

6 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Even the dingiest little testing places are online. They do the check and put it straight into the system. You can just go home and pay the tax online. If you haven't paid the compulsory insurance, you will also be given the chance to do that before you can pay the tax. The disc gets sent by registered mail.

Yes but the OP is having problems - just go to the DLT, job done!

7 minutes ago, baansgr said:

The answer is in your question, Thai ID, your a foreigner so you don't have

I put in my Thai social insurance number when I registered a few years. Pretty sure I didn't have to upload a photo of any ID though so maybe it's something new. I can still log into my account. It's handy if you have more than one vehicle as you can add them all under the one account. 
Update: There is a notice about digital ID on the website. The account is still accessible so I'll have to see what happens at renewal time.

Edited by KhaoNiaw
Update

1 hour ago, 33 RPM said:

in my home country it is called renewing the cars registration

i guess here it is just to pay the annual tax

the compulsory insurance is already paid

Make sure you bring a copy of the compulsory insurance receipt/schedule with you, or they'll probably require you to pay for it again.

The only problem is the online app.

Installed it on the phone, registered and then was required to goto another app - digital ID (ThaiID) to complete the login.

This app requires a photo of the Thai ID card. I do have a pink ID card.

The app will not accept the photo and constantly states there is an error.

My original question asked, whether anyone else has encountered this problem.

Various sites such as Expat Den and Motorist Thailand suggest it can be done via the app.

As for the car tax renewal, I will take all your advice and goto the local roadworthy shop and save myself the drive to DLT.  

• Like 1

to pay for annual road tax in person you don't need ID or even the blue/green book, and certainly not residence certificate, just a photocopy of registrationh book is enough 

the new online system since July requires ThaiID app to log in, previous accounts that you had can't be used to pay, only look at status of past payments