Is Thailand Value for money

Celsius

7 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Here, just for you, since you don't know about recipes..........https://cafedelites.com/garlic-butter-shrimp-scampi/

Shrimp scampi? 🤣 So it's just a name for a NYC dish. They don't have scampi, but only shrimp, so they call it shrimp scampi. Okay... so shrimp scampi is fine. High cholesterol but okay.

In the U.K, Scampi is served fried in batter or breadcrumbs and usually with chips and tartar sauce.

This is an international forum, you need to make the distinction. 

Your dish I would have in the form of a Gambas al Pil Pil

4 minutes ago, NowNow said:

We? It's just you. Now you are speaking for whom?? A true narcissist.

Cameroni and Khunla have both proven you wrong. I have a friend that's reading all of this, a member, on the phone. He thinks you're a very disturbed , low self esteem narcissist that is very likely lonely and incapable of making friends.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Well, since replying to me ....

... does prove his opinion about you doing a bit of trolling :coffee1:

Nope. He just admitted that he was baiting me. 😊 I simply disagree with his assertions.

57 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Here are some stats about the millionaires in Australia, I would say the figures for NZ, UK and Canada won't be far off these numbers:

https://www.theadviser.com.au/borrower/45872-house-and-land-prices-bolstering-household-wealth-abs

"As a proportion of net household wealth, residential property accounted for around 67.9 per cent."

Also some figures for the US...more or less as expected:

https://www.pewresearch.org/2023/12/04/the-assets-households-own-and-the-debts-they-carry/

Thanks.  I don't consider 67.9% to indicate 'most'.  In America, it seems to be even less.  From the article you referenced:

How much an owned home contributes to wealth varies across homeowners. Among U.S. homeowners overall – that is, households that own their primary residence – home equity accounted for a median of 45% of their net worth in 2021. (Half of U.S. homeowners derived more than 45% of their wealth from home equity alone, the other half derived less.)

That's pretty much what I thought in regard to US millionaires, as I said in my previous post.   Roughly half in real estate and the other half in other investments, 401ks, personal property, cash, etc.  

Just now, NowNow said:

Shrimp scampi? 🤣 So it's just a name for a NYC dish. They don't have scampi, but only shrimp, so they call it shrimp scampi. Okay... so shrimp scampi is fine. High cholesterol but okay.

In the U.K, Scampi is served fried in batter or breadcrumbs and usually with chips and tartar sauce.

This is an international forum, you need to make the distinction. 

Your dish I would have in the form of a Gambas al Pil Pil

I don't have to do anything but tell the truth, which is what I always do. First you say all of the foods I mentioned aren't healthy. Now all but burgers are okay in your eyes. Soon you'll realize how ridiculous you sound and maybe understand what I've been saying all along is easy for any teenager to comprehend, especially if they, google.

Just now, fredwiggy said:

Cameroni and Khunla have both proven you wrong. I have a friend that's reading all of this, a member, on the phone. He thinks you're a very disturbed , low self esteem narcissist that is very likely lonely and incapable of making friends.

No, they did not

1 hour ago, NowNow said:

But cheeseburgers are not classed as healthy foods are they? That's the point that @fredwiggy would rather die than admit 😊

No, they are not. Obviously. Though I always did wonder why burgers are considered unhealthy, since they contained minced meat, tomato, onion and did not seem terribly unhealthy. 

Edited 1 hour ago by Cameroni

That is @Cameroni agreeing with me and disagreeing with you.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

I don't have to do anything but tell the truth, which is what I always do. First you say all of the foods I mentioned aren't healthy. Now all but burgers are okay in your eyes. Soon you'll realize how ridiculous you sound and maybe understand what I've been saying all along is easy for any teenager to comprehend, especially if they, google.

Nope, not ALL, just 'shrimp scampi'. That's just one thing. You are incapable of telling the truth.

• Sad 1

Just now, MalcolmB said:

And ironically, how everyone else is a narcissist.

Where has anyone said everyone else is a narcissist? When you study about them, you can spot them very easily, and they are everywhere, including many in power. That's why they are there. They're sometimes called alpha males. The bane of society. Users, cheaters, exploiters, raised from childhood to hurt, intentionally, others. Everyone has some narcissistic tendencies. Just look at all the selfies people take. Some have a narcissistic disorder, or personality, and they are one huge reason the world is so screwed up. the opposite is en empath. One who cares about others and can put themselves in other's shoes. Always a good thing not to assume.

5 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I don't believe you have any friends in real life.

I have a real relationship not based on financial support. I'm not like you. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe not - but this is a forum that always seems to devolve into arguments between old silly blokes. I read the first page and thought - this looks interesting - and then went to the last page and it was all two blokes throwing handbags at each other.

IMO Thailand is NOT great value for money when it comes to their long term VISA for Retired/Married old Expats.  The rest of the things here are mainly fairly good value for money - some not good (cheese, wine, etc) but most is real good value.  We spent a lot more back in Aust than we do here - and here we buy more khrapp. 

Yes the Visas are awful - especially being treated like a parolee and forced to report every 90 days. Other countries nearby offer much better deals (including residency) and for far less than Thailand wants for its 'premium' Visas. And they dont tax your overseas money like it seems like Thailand is going to do soon (hoping not).  

• Haha 1

Just now, NowNow said:

No, they did not

1 hour ago, NowNow said:

But cheeseburgers are not classed as healthy foods are they? That's the point that @fredwiggy would rather die than admit 😊

No, they are not. Obviously. Though I always did wonder why burgers are considered unhealthy, since they contained minced meat, tomato, onion and did not seem terribly unhealthy. 

Edited 1 hour ago by Cameroni

That is @Cameroni agreeing with me and disagreeing with you.

The way most people eat cheeseburgers isn't too healthy. I mentioned this before. You can make them healthy. I also mentioned this. You are nitpicking again, using one reply and leaving out the others. Take some time, take a breath, and read all of the posts. Then come  back, maybe in a week, and realize what you missed.

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

Where has anyone said everyone else is a narcissist? When you study about them, you can spot them very easily, and they are everywhere, including many in power. That's why they are there. They're sometimes called alpha males. The bane of society. Users, cheaters, exploiters, raised from childhood to hurt, intentionally, others. Everyone has some narcissistic tendencies. Just look at all the selfies people take. Some have a narcissistic disorder, or personality, and they are one huge reason the world is so screwed up. the opposite is en empath. One who cares about others and can put themselves in other's shoes. Always a good thing not to assume.

You say it, regularly. You talk about yourself in glowing terms way too often. People who help, don't talk about it. You are the narcissist.

Just now, NowNow said:

I don't believe you have any friends in real life.

I have a real relationship not based on financial support. I'm not like you. 

Again, assuming you know me, or anyone else here. It doesn't matter what you believe because your opinions mean nothing. People like you that say they are better usually have low self esteem, brought on by parents who either spoiled or neglected them. This is what makes them a narcissist. Let it go, You're wrong, and have been proven wrong all along. Stick to the topic. Thailand has some things that are a good value, and many that make it hard to live here. You can save money by eating at home.

2 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Maybe not - but this is a forum that always seems to devolve into arguments between old silly blokes. I read the first page and thought - this looks interesting - and then went to the last page and it was all two blokes throwing handbags at each other.

IMO Thailand is NOT great value for money when it comes to their long term VISA for Retired/Married old Expats.  The rest of the things here are mainly fairly good value for money - some not good (cheese, wine, etc) but most is real good value.  We spent a lot more back in Aust than we do here - and here we buy more khrapp. 

Yes the Visas are awful - especially being treated like a parolee and forced to report every 90 days. Other countries nearby offer much better deals (including residency) and for far less than Thailand wants for its 'premium' Visas. And they dont tax your overseas money like it seems like Thailand is going to do soon (hoping not).  

I'm not old. I can be silly sometimes, but that's ok. Better than being miserable 😊

Thailand is good value if you are adaptable. Some people will always find problems. It's their nature.

• Thanks 1

Again, assuming you know me, or anyone else here. It doesn't matter what you believe because your opinions mean nothing. People like you that say they are better usually have low self esteem, brought on by parents who either spoiled or neglected them. This is what makes them a narcissist. Let it go, You're wrong, and have been proven wrong all along. Stick to the topic. Thailand has some things that are a good value, and many that make it hard to live here. You can save money by eating at home.

I eat at home every day and rarely eat outside. But you didn't know that did you? I know A LOT more about you than you do about me 😊

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, NowNow said:

I'm not old. I can be silly sometimes, but that's ok. Better than being miserable 😊

Thailand is good value if you are adaptable. Some people will always find problems. It's their nature.

You are only as old as the woman you are feeling - right?

Yes - there is value here if you are adaptable - demanding what is 'back home' and cheaper, is folly.

5 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

The way most people eat cheeseburgers isn't too healthy. I mentioned this before. You can make them healthy. I also mentioned this. You are nitpicking again, using one reply and leaving out the others. Take some time, take a breath, and read all of the posts. Then come  back, maybe in a week, and realize what you missed.

Where have you described to @thaibeachlovers the healthy way to prepare your suggested dishes. 68 posts and you haven't got there yet?

6 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

So let's have some good value recipes for your suggested dishes on this thread. All the ingredients needed to make them in Thailand. TIA.

54 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

You missed another thing I said. I trained many people, and given them diet advice, and those that stuck with it made improvements, stopped a few diseases from taking over, became stronger, and are still around, as I talk to many of them to this day. You thinking I'm lying is another form of narcissism, as they can't believe when others tell the truth, as their thinking is all that matters. You're on a sinking ship, and if you actually knew me, you would have never replied to anything I've written.

I do know you and that IS why I replied. I already understood your inability to admit you are wrong. Your propensity to then bombard with hundreds of cut and paste links and irrelevant information and how you like to label people. So far, I've been sitting at a bar eating rancid food and all the other nonsense that your sick mind could conjure up.

So yes, I replied in the full knowledge that you would continue to make a fool of yourself. You're welcome.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Cameroni said:

No, you didn't. You wrote this:

So you originally argued that the meat in a burger already had 20% of fat. When I showed that this was wrong you then decided to include the cheese, to get to the 20%. 

I have over 20 years of training as a lawyer, and have read and drafted documents vetted by the London Stock Exchange, I can assure you my reading skills are up to scratch. Your nutritional value reading ability is not.

As for the reccomended fat intake for normal adults, your figure is nonsense, you are again confusing percentages with grams. The actual daily reccomended amounts of fat for a low fat diet are:

A standard low fat diet contains about 30% — or less — of its calories from fat (31Trusted Source).

Here are a few examples of suggested daily fat ranges for a low fat diet, based on different calorie goals: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-much-fat-to-eat#TOC_TITLE_HDR_5

• 1,500 calories: about 50 grams of fat per day
  • 2,000 calories: about 67 grams of fat per day
  • 2,500 calories: about 83 grams of fat per day

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-much-fat-to-eat#TOC_TITLE_HDR_5

Obviously for a ketogenic diet it's even higher.

No, what are you babbling on about. I have clearly informed you that I was referring to the raw meat utilised for burgers. If I described it poorly before then I corrected that.

You claimed 14 grams, I guess after cooking. So add the 9 grams of fat from the cheese and that is 23 grams without condiments nor bread.

Maybe you should look more closely at my post, Mr Lawyer. I wrote about saturated fat. You see? It's easy to make errors. What is important is that you do not compound them by arguing stupidly.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, NowNow said:

I do know you and that IS why I replied. I already understood your inability to admit you are wrong. Your propensity to then bombard with hundreds of cut and paste links and irrelevant information and how you like to label people. So far, I've been sitting at a bar eating rancid food and all the other nonsense that your sick mind could conjure up.

So yes, I replied in the full knowledge that you would continue to make a fool of yourself. You're welcome.

No, you don't know me, because if you did, you wouldn't have replied once, nor challenged a person in a subject he has much experience in. What I said about you is brought on by 35 years of reading in psychological matters, especially narcissism. This is not what  a narcissist does but a person that feels the need to help others.

Depression is another topic I talk about, because I have family and friends who suffer from it, and I read all I can on the subject to help them,and others, with any advice I can give to help them. 

I posted a variety of links, from reputable sources, like WebMD, that tell -how those foods can be a healthy addition to a lifestyle, if you make them right. I consistently said this all along, because it was you that asked me to show how they can be healthy. The person you spoke of doesn't eat healthily at all, preferring junk food, and lasagne, scampi, BBQ and burgers are not junk food if prepared by someone that knows nutrition.

I will always admit when I am wrong but here I'm not.It is you that keeps on and one, thinking they are right. Your constant replies have shown narcissism, and others have shown low self esteem and an ego that needs boosting. If my advice has helped others I'm happy, because when you have a lot of knowledge in a particular subject, you spread it around, as many if not most people can teach others something. If anyone wants recipes for things I make that are healthy, they can ask me, as I've been cooking all my life, especially when I was married, and all my children are fit, lean and healthy from following my lead. Anyone can also google healthy recipes online in a second.

One thing that I, and probably everyone by now, has seen, is that you like to troll. I like a discussion, where different ideas come up and people look for the correct answers. I had to defend myself because you keep saying I'm wrong. I don't argue if I'm wrong, and something that's been a fact all of my life is, the only people I don't get along with, are those that are mentally ill. I have hundreds of friends, almost all of them very intelligent people, that I've rarely had this kind of argument with. Because? They know I know what I'm talking about, and I know how smart they are, and won't argue with them if I know they know a subject better than I do. I take their advice, and they take mine, because again, everyone knows a little, or much, about something. Hundreds of cut and paste links? Kind of an exaggeration there.

Edited by fredwiggy

9 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

The person you spoke of doesn't eat healthily at all, preferring junk food, and lasagne, scampi, BBQ and burgers are not junk food if prepared by someone that knows nutrition.

But they don't know nutrition and you didn't supply any links to that showed how to prepare any healthy versions. Your replies suggested they could find restaurants with high quality ingredients. Nothing about healthy, but certainly expensive. Highly inappropriate for @thaibeachlovers Do you think he has extensive cooking facilities/money to burn? I know. You don't.

I understand the people to whom I reply. Even you 😊

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

No, you don't know me, because if you did, you wouldn't have replied once, nor challenged a person in a subject he has much experience in. What I said about you is brought on by 35 years of reading in psychological matters, especially narcissism. This is not what  a narcissist does but a person that feels the need to help others.

Depression is another topic I talk about, because I have family and friends who suffer from it, and I read all I can on the subject to help them,and others, with any advice I can give to help them. 

I posted a variety of links, from reputable sources, like WebMD, that tell -how those foods can be a healthy addition to a lifestyle, if you make them right. I consistently said this all along, because it was you that asked me to show how they can be healthy. The person you spoke of doesn't eat healthily at all, preferring junk food, and lasagne, scampi, BBQ and burgers are not junk food if prepared by someone that knows nutrition.

I will always admit when I am wrong but here I'm not.It is you that keeps on and one, thinking they are right. Your constant replies have shown narcissism, and others have shown low self esteem and an ego that needs boosting. If my advice has helped others I'm happy, because when you have a lot of knowledge in a particular subject, you spread it around, as many if not most people can teach others something. If anyone wants recipes for things I make that are healthy, they can ask me, as I've been cooking all my life, especially when I was married, and all my children are fit, lean and healthy from following my lead. Anyone can also google healthy recipes online in a second.

One thing that I, and probably everyone by now, has seen, is that you like to troll. I like a discussion, where different ideas come up and people look for the correct answers. I had to defend myself because you keep saying I'm wrong. I don't argue if I'm wrong, and something that's been a fact all of my life is, the only people I don't get along with, are those that are mentally ill. I have hundreds of friends, almost all of them very intelligent people, that I've rarely had this kind of argument with. Because? They know I know what I'm talking about, and I know how smart they are, and won't argue with them if I know they know a subject better than I do. I take their advice, and they take mine, because again, everyone knows a little, or much, about something. Hundreds of cut and paste links? Kind of an exaggeration there.

Your whole premise is a nonsense and highly inappropriate. @thaibeachlovers lives in New Zealand on a limited budget. 

Your suggestions were insensitive and totally ridiculous.

• Confused 1

Just now, NowNow said:

But they don't know nutrition and you didn't supply any links to that showed how to prepare any healthy versions. Your replies suggested they could find restaurants with high quality ingredients. Nothing about healthy, but certainly expensive. Highly inappropriate for @thaibeachlovers Do you think he has extensive cooking facilities/money to burn? I know. You don't.

I understand the people to whom I reply. Even you 😊

This means you didn't actually read the links because they do have alternatives and ways to prepare a healthy burger. High quality ingredients in my thinking means healthy. The main one being the beef. I don't eat low quality beef, preferring Australian, Argentinian, Texan or Japanese, along with others I will eventually try. Now you're assuming you actually know thaibeachlovers personally, to know what he has or cooks with. Again, you're assuming you know what anyone does besides those that actually live with you. You don't.

Just now, NowNow said:

Your whole premise is a nonsense and highly inappropriate. @thaibeachlovers lives in New Zealand on a limited budget. 

Your suggestions were insensitive and totally ridiculous.

Everything I mentioned can be made at home, and bought in most larger  cities worldwide. New Zealand has excellent beef. Don't put insensitive in my replies as that's not me. I'm here to help. He stated he usually eats only junk food. I suggested better options. It's up to him to do what he wants. That's what advice is about. You can take it or leave it.

This means you didn't actually read the links because they do have alternatives and ways to prepare a healthy burger. High quality ingredients in my thinking means healthy. The main one being the beef. I don't eat low quality beef, preferring Australian, Argentinian, Texan or Japanese, along with others I will eventually try. Now you're assuming you actually know thaibeachlovers personally, to know what he has or cooks with. Again, you're assuming you know what anyone does besides those that actually live with you. You don't.

No. There were no links produced until I challenged you and none were useful. Such as removing the cheese or discarding half the bun. Really just nonsense.

Spending more doesn't make it healthier, that's just idiotic.

• Sad 1

Calculus is constantly changing. Used to be a number of posters on the forum bragging about how they had the best of both worlds living in Florida. Post hurricanes Ian, Michael and Helene we don't hear too much out of them anymore. Cost of living, climate change, attitudes towards immigrants, social climate, housing cost and availability, and immigration rules can ruin the attractiveness of a destination overnight. You can pour over u-tube videos and top 10 places to retire websites until the end of time, and a bingo moment never seems to arrive. Thailand offers a tolerant and relatively welcoming social climate at a more than reasonable cost which in today's world is nothing to sneeze at.

• Like 2

Everything I mentioned can be made at home, and bought in most larger  cities worldwide. New Zealand has excellent beef. Don't put insensitive in my replies as that's not me. I'm here to help. He stated he usually eats only junk food. I suggested better options. It's up to him to do what he wants. That's what advice is about. You can take it or leave it.

So you think that he will suddenly just from cheap hotdogs to expensive beef because you say so? Are you really so full of yourself? It's actually quite funny to see the nonsense you write.