Frozen in time: British expats losing out on pensions in Thailand

webfact

9 hours ago, bkk_mike said:

Maybe a banner ad on the page where you check how much pension you're going to receive stating that if you retire abroad (depending on the country), your pension won't go up in line with inflation each year.

People who watch Emmerdale or Coronation Street aren't exactly the demographic that intend to leave the country.

Yes that went straight above your head.....

18 hours ago, theblether said:

I've continuously pointed out to the NHS that there is a large well of nurses and doctors available in Thailand. It's not one of their preferred hiring locations and that's a mistake. 

There is NOT a large supply of doctors in Thailand. Thailand has serious shortages in some specialties such as mental health, geriatrics, pain management, nuclear medicine, novel surgery techniques and oncology.

The patient doctor ratio in Thailand is 0.67:1000. In the UK it is 3.0:1000   

Both Thailand and the UK have a shortage of GPs. Thailand GPs are the most likely to have the most limited of medical training and are least likely to speak a language other than Thai.  How do you expect a Thai GP to practice in the UK if he or she does not speak the language? And why would you even assume, Thai physicians would want to relocate to the UK?   Life is much better for a wealthy Thai in Thailand than in the UK.

The subject of nurses is even more obvious. The shortage of surgical and specialized care nurses in the UK will not be solved by recruiting from Thailand, because  the training is not the same. The education is different for the specialties and you just can't import people with a wave of the hand.

There are also licensing requirements to be satisfied.

2 hours ago, Bobydog said:

Good luck to him. Is he receiving Age pension and does he own a home in Australia

He has no assets in Australia, and gets the OAP.

3 hours ago, itsari said:

The UK Goverment began saving money on pension payments by discriminating what country a pensionist chose to live in the 1950s.

So not much help in covering the 2 billion a week shortfall from the Brexit blunder.

I think you've got that backwards, prior to the 1950s all overseas Pensions were frozen & it's only since then that some countries have entered into reciprocal social security agreements which include pension uplifts. 

https://britishpensions.com/state-pension-history-timeline-1/

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

He has no assets in Australia, and gets the OAP.

If Australian gov don't know he is living permanently in Thailand he's a lucky fellow. Ato website is quite clear on this one, tho you have to dig for it, my tax accountant found it for me. Tell him good luck from me. 

12 hours ago, bkk_mike said:

That makes absolutely no sense - as the US is one of the countries where a UK state pension isn't frozen.

Are you sure she wasn't from Canada and changed planes in New York?

If you read it's 30 years ago and I don't mention anything about being frozen.  For example Canada is frozen

25 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I think you've got that backwards, prior to the 1950s all overseas Pensions were frozen & it's only since then that some countries have entered into reciprocal social security agreements which include pension uplifts. 

https://britishpensions.com/state-pension-history-timeline-1/

If you read the post I was answering to I am not wrong.

Most of not all social agreements the UK has started or stopped for that matter was before Brexit.

So how is the UK saving money 

On pension payments to pay for asylum seekers hotel bills.

Just now, itsari said:

If you read the post I was answering to I am not wrong.

Most of not all social agreements the UK has started or stopped for that matter was before Brexit.

So how is the UK saving money 

On pension payments to pay for asylum seekers hotel bills.

Ahhh got you, you were answering a post on BREXIT, I was just pointing out that prior to 1950s all overseas pensions were frozen & to the best of my knowledge the UK has never stopped paying increases once an agreement was in place. 

20 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Ahhh got you, you were answering a post on BREXIT, I was just pointing out that prior to 1950s all overseas pensions were frozen & to the best of my knowledge the UK has never stopped paying increases once an agreement was in place. 

All in order Mike

• Thumbs Up 1