Field trips don’t hurt students, poorly-maintained transport does : PM

snoop1130

Just now, dinsdale said:

No it won't. It won't make the families whose children die on the roads everyday feel much better either. What's the solution? Do you have one? Everyday I see clapped out old buses transporting kids on school excursions. The fact is that so much of the bus rolling stock here is old and poorly maintained. These buses are cheaper to hire and directors of schools will more than likely go for the cheapest option.

You have to wonder how many school buses 36 billion baht would buy......but what the hell, submarines that don't accidentally sink are more important.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

We all know how it works here, was the school head related to the bus company owner? just hope there was no corruption involved here over the safety of the children, I have my suspicions 

Maybe or maybe it was just a cheap option. The school is a Wat school so down the bottom of the pile. 

A field trip is nice to go on, but how much experience do 5 and 6 year olds get from

going to the place these students were headed?  Using such an old bus did not

help this situation.  Too bad some of the windows could not be broken to give an exit to the trapped children and teachers.

Guns don't kill people.....but someone with a gun could shoot and kill you.

Get these death traps of the road.....stop buying submarines and jet fighters and spend the money on your own children.

7 hours ago, Bohemianfish said:

It's still like that mostly. Formatting via copy paste from website:

exit, a roof exit is required in the rear half of the bus to provide a means of egress when the bus is overturned on either side. (US gov site.

Google AI:

School buses don't have seat beltbecause they are designed with a passive restraint system called compartmentalization, which protects students in the event of an accident. This system includes: 

• Closely spaced seats: Seats are packed tightly together to create cushioned compartments for students. 

• Padded seats: Seats are wider, thicker, and have high backs to protect students. 

• Energy-absorbing seat backs: Seats are designed to absorb the force of a crash. 

School buses are also designed to withstand a lot of impact and are less likely to roll over than other vehicles. However, some say that compartmentalization doesn't fully protect students in all types of crashes. For example, if a child is only partially seated in their seat, they might fly down the aisle instead of hitting the seat in front of them. 

Some states and school districts have passed laws requiring seat belts on school buses. The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) has also pushed for lap and shoulder seat belts on school buses. 

Nice ideas and maybe newer ones do have some or all of those features but I doubt it.

1 hour ago, Watawattana said:

Not about to disagree with you.  But I live in hope.  “It's not the despair. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand”.  Apparently a quote by Peter Ustinov, or might have been Ted Lasso.

Living in hope in Thailand is fine as long as you don't take it too seriously. Many things even bigger than accidents like this here that really need hope for better tomorrow... It is just that forces and culture are against the progress 

An autopsy of the lungs of the deceased will tell whether they died of asphyxiation or burned. I can only hope it's the former. 

So sad. And that stinking coward of a bus driver who ran away. Why do Thais always seem to do that?

59 minutes ago, Cereal said:

So sad. And that stinking coward of a bus driver who ran away. Why do Thais always seem to do that?

So many reports that the bus driver ran away....  but they paint a false narative. 

Upon catching fire, the bus driver can be seen in numerous videos attempting to open the rear door of the bus...  in another video he can then be seen to fetch a fire extinguisher (presumably from one of the other busses).... and attempt to use that (before the video cuts).

I suspect the 'LGV tank explosion' was so severe, he (he bus driver or other teachers) couldn't access the back of the bus from within.

That said: after all attempts failed to save the children, the bus driver did then 'flee'....  I think through fear of immediate retribution from bystanders. 

Thats not to forgive his actions - but to shine light on the reports that he fled when he did not, not immediately anyway.

32 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

So many reports that the bus driver ran away....  but they paint a false narative. 

Upon catching fire, the bus driver can be seen in numerous videos attempting to open the rear door of the bus...  in another video he can then be seen to fetch a fire extinguisher (presumably from one of the other busses).... and attempt to use that (before the video cuts).

I suspect the 'LGV tank explosion' was so severe, he (he bus driver or other teachers) couldn't access the back of the bus from within.

That said: after all attempts failed to save the children, the bus driver did then 'flee'....  I think through fear of immediate retribution from bystanders. 

Thats not to forgive his actions - but to shine light on the reports that he fled when he did not, not immediately anyway.

just to point out the bus was a CNG not LGV and the tank did not explode one of the had a leak