Huge markup on imported foods. Why?

giddyup

33 minutes ago, NowNow said:

I think you'll find it is not. 

Not just that, but the products you buy in Thailand aren't necessarily the products you might find in Australia.

From their website:

"Premium pure butter and cheese. The original Australian brand. Number 1 brand for 7 consecutive years, originated in Australia since 1869 Allowrie has been making tasty and quality Dairy products from real cow's milk. KCG’s founders, very impressed with Allowrie' s quality & taste, started importing Allowrie to Thailand since 1970. The same standard has always been proudly upheld to ensure your delight of quality butter and cheeses."

I agree some products can be made under licence.  The results of which aren't always the same as the item. 

3 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

From their website:

"Premium pure butter and cheese. The original Australian brand. Number 1 brand for 7 consecutive years, originated in Australia since 1869 Allowrie has been making tasty and quality Dairy products from real cow's milk. KCG’s founders, very impressed with Allowrie' s quality & taste, started importing Allowrie to Thailand since 1970. The same standard has always been proudly upheld to ensure your delight of quality butter and cheeses."

I agree some products can be made under licence.  The results of which aren't always the same as the item. 

Whose website? Where is your source? Is it normal to copy and paste any old nonsense and claim it as fact? 

"KCG" is the big giveaway 😊

1 hour ago, NowNow said:

Whose website? Where is your source? Is it normal to copy and paste any old nonsense and claim it as fact? 

"KCG" is the big giveaway 😊

A simple Google search can get that for you.... 

45 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Nope, Bonlac (owner of Allowrie) was sold to NZ company Fonterra in 2003

You are 100% correct.  It was a buy out, started off that Fonterra purchased a 25% stake then increased to 50% before taking on 100% in 2005.

Initially it was an Australian company ( known as Allowrie from about 1909) and to this date still has a kangaroo emblem on packaging. 

Edited by Korat Kiwi

6 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

A simple Google search can get that for you.... 

What is this idiotic reply that so many come up with when they haven't got the even the slightest clue of what they are discussing?

You want me to search for the source of YOUR post? Are you in full control of your faculties? Otherwise why would you write such nonsense as a reply?

2 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

You are 100% correct.  It was a buy out, started off that Fonterra purchased a 25% stake then increased to 50% before taking on 100% in 2005.

Initially it was an Australian company ( known as Allowrie from about 1909) and to this date still has a kangaroo emblem on packaging. 

Obviously not 100% correct then. 2003 is not 2005.

Apart from that, remember that these are just brand names we are discussing. I mentioned Carnation earlier. Totally different product under CP.

3 hours ago, NowNow said:

I think you'll find it is not. 

Not just that, but the products you buy in Thailand aren't necessarily the products you might find in Australia.

Allowrie is an australian brand..........end of!

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

It is still produced in australia under the allowrie brand, dosen't matter whether the company is owned by donald duck inc

3 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

I thought that NZ was the part of Australia where they keep their sheep

Edited by CallumWK
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Cardano said:

It is still produced in australia under the allowrie brand, dosen't matter whether the company is owned by donald duck inc

Is it?

Probably best if you zip it and check your facts beforehand.

As an aside, I bought some COLES Australian butter from TOPS the other day. Not only is it named Australian Butter, but it also has a Product of Australia badge. The ingredients are listed as Australian cream and water. 

Check your labels and your facts before your sweeping announcements.

On 10/4/2024 at 7:49 AM, giddyup said:

My gripe for today.

I understand there are shipping costs and tax, but how does a A$4.20 jar of vegemite cost nearly $12 (260 baht) in Thailand? If Australia imposed those kind of markups on Thai products I doubt they'd be able to sell a kilo of rice.

Supply and Demand , You want it they can jack up the Price if one is stupid enough to buy it , Up to you