Huge markup on imported foods. Why?

giddyup

On 10/6/2024 at 5:43 PM, Cardano said:

Premium pure butter and cheese. The original Australian brand. Number 1 brand for 7 consecutive years, originated in Australia since 1869 Allowrie has been making tasty and quality Dairy products from real cow's milk. KCG’s founders, very impressed with Allowrie' s quality & taste, started importing Allowrie to Thailand since 1970.

ALLOWRIE Salted Butter 1 Box (8 g x 100 cups)

Australian made cost 6 AUD in Australia and just 4.5 AUD in London 

HIBERNATION SAVVY SHOPPER 6.8.20:  Woolworths Tim Tams

36 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

My mate Mick got his Marmite confiscated at Swampy, on the way in, a few years back.

They probably confused it with Bovril, which is meat-based.

• Like 1

Huge markup on imported foods. Why?

Is this not normal in every country? Are there any place where local food is more expensive than foreign imported stuff? Of course the mark-up may vary by country.

5 minutes ago, pest said:

Palm oil is in the Allowrie butter

Wondered why it tastes like sheet

20241010_101941.jpg

It is described as a Butter Blend. Their version of butter won't have palm oil, but more butter oil. I still wouldn't.

Can you see Made In Australia anywhere, for @Cardano😊

Why ... because they can, and people still buy it at inflated prices.

Fine example of companies headquartered in the USA.  Cereals being sold here are the silliest price.  As most not imported from the USA.  I stopped buying long ago.

Bought Philly Cream Cheese the other day, and 20-25% more than imported products from NZ.  Only because headquartered in USA, produced under SQ company, and made in MY.  Should be cheaper than anything from NZ.  Obviously made for CN's market, as more Chinese script on the box than any other language.

Only bought it as it uses a bit more dairy in it, along with less chemicals/#'d ingredients.  Not sure I'll buy again in the future, as realize I really don't eat it plain, and basically just use it for cheesecakes. 

I does taste marginally better by itself, although when I do eat it on a 'bread' product, rare, I usually add something else, usually a jelly preserve.  

Most other imported products are the ultra processed crap, that I simply don't put in my body.

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Partly, it's also called milking it where possible. Cheese and butter for example they can make in Thailand, no tariff 

Not really big on the Thai palate, and waste of milk, as the market simply isn't there.  Better to turn it/milk, into a addictive sweetened product for Thais & export.   So much more profitable.

Would think most cheese & butter is purchased by the very few foreigners residing in TH.  Don't see a lot of Thais at the dairy/cheese section of the market, contemplating which to purchase.