Tim Walz's Verbal Missteps Stir Concerns Amid Tight Campaign

Social Media

image.png

Tim Walz, Minnesota's plain-speaking governor and Kamala Harris' running mate, is grappling with a growing number of public misstatements that could potentially harm their tight race against Donald Trump and JD Vance. Known for his folksy, candid communication style, Walz has found himself repeatedly clarifying or correcting statements about his past, from his military service to personal anecdotes about his family. His campaign has been forced to address these verbal missteps, leading to speculation on whether they may undercut his credibility with voters.

Walz's most recent gaffe occurred during a CBS debate, when he was pressed on a claim about being in Hong Kong during the 1989 Tiananmen Square protests. Walz had previously stated that he was in Hong Kong during the protests in Beijing. When confronted during the debate, Walz awkwardly admitted, "I got there that summer," adding, "I’m a knucklehead at times," before conceding he had "misspoke." A day later, he sought to clarify the situation further, saying, "Yeah, look, I have my dates wrong. I was in Hong Kong in China in 1989. … I speak like everybody else speaks. I need to be clearer."

"I need to be clearer"

Walz’s verbal errors have surfaced repeatedly throughout the campaign, with his military service being one of the more notable areas of scrutiny. On several occasions, he has inaccurately described himself as a "retired command sergeant major," a claim he made during his first congressional campaign. However, Walz never completed the final coursework to retire at that rank. The Harris campaign quietly updated his military record on its website following inquiries from reporters, now stating that Walz had "served" at that rank. 

Further complicating matters, Walz also attracted attention for comments on his family's struggles with fertility, which he used to highlight his stance on reproductive rights. He criticized JD Vance, saying, "if it was up to him, I wouldn’t have a family because of IVF." However, it later came to light that Walz and his wife did not specifically use in vitro fertilization but a different treatment. The campaign subsequently had to clarify the details.

These incidents have forced the Harris-Walz campaign to stay on the defensive. Democratic strategist Mike Mikus noted, "Any time you are forced to go off message is never welcome." Yet, he added that voters are more concerned about what candidates plan to do to improve their lives than whether "he got every single fact correct." Nonetheless, some within Harris' circle were caught off-guard by Walz's inaccurate statements, including his claim about Hong Kong, despite the vetting process. 

Walz’s past DUI arrest in Nebraska, which was downplayed in previous campaigns, also resurfaced during Harris' vice presidential vetting process. Harris' team was aware of the arrest and investigated Walz’s behavior since then, including his temperament and drinking habits.

Despite these controversies, Walz’s supporters remain steadfast in their admiration for him. Bob Frisby, a 70-year-old resident of Rochester, Minnesota, expressed his trust in the governor, stating, "He’s just honest." However, Republicans have been quick to exploit these moments, drawing attention to his misstatements as a way to undermine his image as an "everyday Midwest guy."

Defending her running mate, a spokesperson for the Harris-Walz campaign explained that Walz "speaks like a normal person" and "passionately about issues he cares deeply about," including democracy and gun violence. Meanwhile, Democratic leaders like Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker have urged voters to consider the broader picture, stating, "You can pick and choose the things that you want over somebody’s entire career and call it out," while reminding them that "JD Vance is lying every day."

Based on a report from Politico 2024-10-05

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

I knew immediately what he meant. Walz was either very nervous or over-caffeinated (perhaps both, credit: Stephen Colbert).

Anyone who uses this gaffe against him only does so cuz they have nothing else. Smells like desperation.