Urgent: Pharmacies that sell HIV PrEP in Bangkok (Sukhumvit area)

Sandboxer

21 minutes ago, Sandboxer said:

Urgently need to refill my PrEP (forgot to pack it) upon arrival in Bangkok/Sukhumvit tomorrow.

I know I can go to clinics such as Pulse but they require, not sure if for legal reasons or just to add revenue, the customer to do a mandatory test/labs/exam etc. which I do not need as my latest test was yesterday and I'd rather avoid paying for unnecessary services.

Any pharmacies (or clinics that are a little more "flexible" ) in the Sukhumvit area that will sell me any of the PrEP brands (Truvada, or Ricovir/Teno EM)?

Pulse, if you show them your "yesterday's test", it'll cost you about THB 1300. That's all. 

And tell them Ben loves them.

Edited by Ben Zioner
  • Like 1

Just now, Ben Zioner said:

Pulse, if you show them your "yesterday's test", it'll cost you about THB 1300. That's all. 

Thanks.

It was an Abbot self test kit. Do you think they will accept a pic of me holding it next to my face (all pics taken on smart phone contain metadata that shows date/time etc.), or does it have to be lab-issued/paper document?

image.thumb.png.af3f559297ae7ad7ec0c2290d9d25992.png

image.thumb.png.23fd560d4ebb54516c0d7f30001f5d92.png

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sandboxer said:

Thanks.

It was an Abbot self test kit. Do you think they will accept a pic of me holding it next to my face (all pics taken on smart phone contain metadata that shows date/time etc.), or does it have to be lab-issued/paper document?

Honestly I don't know. But if you are desperate, just go talk to them, they are totally approachable. But are you on daily PREP? or on demand?

In case you were a newbie, having someone to explain things can help. 

Oh I forgot, there are two absolutely essential tests to have: HIV and Kidney function. You don't want to damage your kidneys, and when kidneys are slow the concentration of medicine in the body increases.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

But are you on daily PREP? or on demand?

On demand, and only needed about 3-5 times a year as I otherwise live a fairly "responsible" life, so not too worried about kidney/liver and my markers all looked good after last year's blood panel.

Thanks again~~will message Pulse.

Every aspect of life in Thailand is an elevated risk compared to 1st world western countries. Traffic, guns/knife violence, diseases, etc.

Mitigating those risks as best as we individually can is just common sense. For me, PrEP is a logical way to mitigate (by 99%) one occasional risk aspect of my life.

Edited by Sandboxer
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Sandboxer said:

1. The risk is also almost zero with PrEP.

2. Some of us, for a myriad of reasons, simply cannot get/sustain an erection with a condom. 

3. Being faithful to one's spouse/partner is a nice ideal in Unicornworld, but the majority of humans fail at it. 

Great rationalizing.  Then by all means just go bareback huh.

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'm not a butt bandit but you do you.

"In addition, clinicians can consider doxy-PEP for straight, cisgender men who are at risk of STIs, although there are no studies yet looking at use in this population. Doxy-PEP was not effective in the only study to date conducted in cisgender women so more research is needed before doxy-PEP’s use after vaginal sex is recommended."

5 minutes ago, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

I'm not a butt bandit but you do you.

"In addition, clinicians can consider doxy-PEP for straight, cisgender men who are at risk of STIs, although there are no studies yet looking at use in this population. Doxy-PEP was not effective in the only study to date conducted in cisgender women so more research is needed before doxy-PEP’s use after vaginal sex is recommended."

Are you a woman? different rules often apply for receptive sex

Lol, only on AN will someone get criticized by the uneducated, common sense lacking virtue signal brigade for trying to protect himself and others. 

And yes, PrEP actually IS more effective against HIV than condoms. 

Pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) and condoms are both effective at preventing HIV transmission, but PrEP is slightly more effective: 

PrEP
Condoms
Effectiveness
Up to 99% effective at preventing HIV transmission
Up to 94% effective at preventing HIV transmission for females
PrEP is a medication that's most effective when taken consistently each day. Common side effects include diarrhea, nausea, headaches, fatigue, stomach pains, and weight fluctuations. Long-term use can lead to organ damage, primarily to the kidney and liver. 

Condoms are most effective when used correctly and consistently. The CDC found that there is no statistically significant difference between using condoms “sometimes” and using condoms “never”. 

Using both PrEP and condoms can further reduce your risk of getting HIV
Edited by Sandboxer

12 hours ago, Sandboxer said:

2. Some of us, for a myriad of reasons, simply cannot get/sustain an erection with a condom. 

So  you will be barebacking with prostitutes in Thailand ? How do you manage to find so many girls that are willing to have no condom sex ?

20 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

So  you will be barebacking with prostitutes in Thailand ? How do you manage to find so many girls that are willing to have no condom sex ?

Have you considered that perhaps two (or three, or four) normal people in a non-John/hooker relationship who maybe haven't known each other for very long but like each other,  just want to enjoy each other's bodies for a few days without having to worry about HIV? 

Sure, it won't protect against other STDs but other STDs are more easily managed. And as long as I know I'm clear of those other ones (by way of similar self administered rapid tests) before I have unprotected sex, then I have no moral problems with it. If I catch something, it's on me.

I really don't get the judgy attitudes here.

Even if it was hookers I'm sleeping with, so what? The biology/science stays the same.

Respectfully - It's fine to discuss the morality of sexual habits (might be an interesting topic actually).....in a different section of the forum.  IMO.

Edited by Sandboxer

14 hours ago, Sandboxer said:

Urgently need to refill my PrEP (forgot to pack it) upon arrival in Bangkok/Sukhumvit tomorrow.

I know I can go to clinics such as Pulse but they require, not sure if for legal reasons or just to add revenue, the customer to do a mandatory test/labs/exam etc. which I do not need as my latest test was yesterday and I'd rather avoid paying for unnecessary services.

Any pharmacies (or clinics that are a little more "flexible" ) in the Sukhumvit area that will sell me any of the PrEP brands (Truvada, or Ricovir/Teno EM)?

Just go to the Bangok Red Cross.  You will still need to get tested but it's not expensive.  I think it's around 1500b for the test and 30 days of pills. After that you can go in and get more pills without needing to get tested again.  I think they require a new test every 3 months.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Sandboxer said:

Thanks.

You can't seriously think anyone is going to accept that?!

Edited by shdmn

4 minutes ago, shdmn said:

No 🤦‍♂️

Haaaay. Last time I did an e-visa I had to upload a pic of me holding up my passport on the official e-visa site! 😂 

Same same^^

Edited by Sandboxer

13 hours ago, Sandboxer said:

1. The risk is also almost zero with PrEP.

3. Being faithful to one's spouse/partner is a nice ideal in Unicornworld, but the majority of humans fail at it. 

Please let us know when your third member rots and falls off.

Are you gay or straight? 

Although you a guy can still catch it from a girl, its quite hard , 1% chance per encounter I believe

Anyway PrEP probably has a big negative effect on things like liver enzymes ...and just organ health overall

Why you just find one partner, get her tested.....and the be loyal, safes alot of headaches

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, hydraides said:

Are you gay or straight? 

Although you a guy can still catch it from a girl, its quite hard , 1% chance per encounter I believe

Straight. I think the latest stats say something like a 1 in 300 chance of transmission for a male when sleeping with a HIV+ female.

I only take it on-demand (2-1-1), not daily throughout the year, and not often (less than 5 times a year) so not worried about liver/kidney issues.

As for finding a regular, well.....I'm just not wired that way.  

Edited by Sandboxer

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

PrEP is better at preventing HIV than condoms, most people don't know that

No it is not. Please do not promote the claim.

You are misinterpreting the data. You are ignoring the reality that HIV is  more likely in people with a concurrent STI. 

Also, all drugs have side effects and the HIV preventative treatments have a long list of adverse reactions and side effects.

Edited by Patong2021

1 hour ago, Sandboxer said:

Lol, only on AN will someone get criticized by the uneducated, common sense lacking virtue signal brigade for trying to protect himself and others. 

And yes, PrEP actually IS more effective against HIV than condoms. 

Pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) and condoms are both effective at preventing HIV transmission, but PrEP is slightly more effective: 

PrEP
Condoms
Effectiveness
Up to 99% effective at preventing HIV transmission
Up to 94% effective at preventing HIV transmission for females
PrEP is a medication that's most effective when taken consistently each day. Common side effects include diarrhea, nausea, headaches, fatigue, stomach pains, and weight fluctuations. Long-term use can lead to organ damage, primarily to the kidney and liver. 

Condoms are most effective when used correctly and consistently. The CDC found that there is no statistically significant difference between using condoms “sometimes” and using condoms “never”. 

Using both PrEP and condoms can further reduce your risk of getting HIV

You are misinterpreting the data. The REALITY is that the actual  results are MUCH lower the general population. Prep s is still of benefit for public health, but not a substitute for condom use. No one in the  public health profession will ever say that condoms are not necessary for your type of sexual activity.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpub/article/PIIS2468-2667(22)00106-2/fulltext

PrEP effectiveness was 60% (95% CI 46 to 71) overall, reaching 93% (84 to 97) for a high amount of PrEP consumption, and 86% (78 to 92) if excluding periods after PrEP discontinuation. PrEP effectiveness was significantly reduced in people younger than 30 years (26% [–21 to 54]) and in those who were socioeconomically deprived (–64% [–392 to 45]), both of which groups showed low amounts of PrEP consumption and high rates of PrEP discontinuation.

A home HIV test kit is not a substitute for a proper blood test.  The reason why the diagnosis of negative infection must be confirmed is that the medication is dangerous and ineffective in already infected people.

In respect to your condition of being unable to achieve an erection while using a condom, take it as a warning sign. You most likely have a circulatory condition. Smoking and obesity are contributing factors. Suggest you have a proper physical exam including blood tests to measure triglycerides, cholesterol, and others. High cholesterol level  goes hand in hand with erectile dysfunction.

best of luck.