Down under or Thai? Aussie mum trades Oz for Land of Smiles

webfact

1 hour ago, JoePai said:

But she can own a home legally in Thailand - it's just the land she can't  🤣

:cheesy: stupid naivety , the owner of the land dies, your lease means nothing IMO, it might even have to be forcibly sold if probate shows the owner is in debt. 

• Agree 2

Even Melbourne has much cheaper housing than Sydney. I own a 3 bedroom rental house about 45km south of the central city and about 4km from the beach. It is currently worth around AU$650k. If you are not tied to the central city there is no need to live close. My house location has good schools, shops, even a hospital nearby. The only thing missing is good public transport so a car is essential.

I think they are crazy for making such a major move without doing a LOT of research beforehand.

I suspect the husband will be looking forward to his visits to Bangla Road.  😆

Edited by Dexxter
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Good luck to them I say.  If they can afford that lifestyle then that's great. 

I hope their dream house gets built and the standard of work is top notch. 

There's a lot of wishful thinking but anything is possible here in the land of loan sharks and dodgy investors. 

Phuket wouldn't be my 1st choice but each to their own. 

The only positive post up to now.👍

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Imagine if her hubby accidentally kicks a doctor, Phuket authorities inspect the build and find it illegal in some way, then they get deported minus their $1.2M AUD.

Why would anyone take such a risk, shouldn't they have at least rented for a few years?

Imagine if he kicks the bucket.

Sounds a bit iffy to me, can't afford a house in Oz, so moves to a country where she isn't allowed to own a home legally.

She is allowed to legally own a home here, everyone is, foreigners owning their own home as she described it, is 100% legal.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, MikeandDow said:

No foresight  No Oz pension, no work,  land of scams  what more can you want for 

Seems that they had enough foresight, who said they'd have no pension or no work (you didn't read the OP, did you), how have they been scammed?

Sounds a bit iffy to me, can't afford a house in Oz, so moves to a country where she isn't allowed to own a home legally. Not to mention Phuket, island of illegally built homes with land stolen from the government, by a dodgy Thai builder.

Huge risk of 100% loss.

Surely there must be places in Oz where you can buy a home for under $1.2M AUD?

Homes under $1 million close to any of the capital cities are as rare as hens' teeth. A decent house could cost $2-3 million, particularly around Sydney.

Foolish to be shelling out capital until they have rented for a few years.

At her age with children never never never never I would always be an Australia with free health care good education beautiful first class lifestyle. Only white white a flight attendants on Qantas only white people on the news definitely would never leave.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, lordgrinz said:

With a child, I would bet their first issues will be like mine, lack of safety for themselves and their child when walking or driving through the Kingdom of lunatics.

People are portraying Thailand on YouTube like it's a fully functional country with all the things you'd expect back home but newer, nicer and cheaper. This is true if you live in a tiny bubble but eventually you must go outside and face the reality of how things are in 99% of the country

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Seems that they had enough foresight, who said they'd have no pension or no work (you didn't read the OP, did you), how have they been scammed?

No idea  Qz will not give you a pension while overseas  you have to go back to OZ and then run through hoops  there is hardly any work in Thailand for expats  you need to research

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

27 million baht for a 4-bedroom house is way over the odds for a house in Thailand. Plenty of good houses for 5-10 million baht.

The husband is 7 years away from qualifying for the OAP, and will have to spend two years in Oz to get it.

That may not be a concern if they are self-funded.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dexxter said:

Even Melbourne has much cheaper housing than Sydney. I own a 3 bedroom rental house about 45km south of the central city and about 4km from the beach. It is currently worth around AU$650k. If you are not tied to the central city there is no need to live close. My house location has good schools, shops, even a hospital nearby. The only thing missing is good public transport so a car is essential.

Often times when people say they could afford housing it's because they insist on living in the most expensive parts of the country in the most desirable areas. They may have even moved to a city they can't afford and then get all up in arms when they realize how hard it's going to be.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

a cut-price AUD$1.2 million (27.1 million baht)

a breezy AUD$920 (21,000 baht) weekly

international school’s offerings for young Alex

Seems they' ve got some money... ?!  (At least for now). 

His in for a shock when he wants to claim his pension, from all accounts a; he will have to go back for 2 years and b; it is means tested, and that would include the house he 'Owns' here and any money he has stashed in his bank. Then there is the question of education for the child, will they home teach, or pay for a private school. 

In Australia, it is difficult for its citizens to buy own house because of the overprice.

But here, foreigners basically Cannot Own House or Land because of the law.

The only legally available property to an alien is the Condominium room(I thought).

Which kind Legal Loophole did they use to make their dream home come true here?

Does the official ownership actually belong to anyone else

(e.g. Legal/accounting firm or property agent: Thai entity)?

Can anyone please advise?

Purely a question out of my curiosity though.

Edited by ElwoodP
outsized font size changed to normal

The Coulsons now own a four-bedroom haven in an expat-friendly enclave

While their Phuket dream home gets built,

Good luck you are going to need it , don't count your chickens till they hatch,

report back in a year or two ,lets know how its going....

regards Worgeordie

2 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

I get a kick out of people with rose-colored glasses.

They are usually far nicer and happier than the usual whiners, moaners and complainers that normally clog up posts like this.

Good for her and her family I say.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Coulsons now own a four-bedroom haven in an expat-friendly enclave, all for a cut-price AUD$1.2 million (27.1 million baht). 

while their Phuket dream home gets built,

Please don't tell me that they paid for the house and the house hasn't been built yet ?

• Agree 2

34 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

She is allowed to legally own a home here, everyone is, foreigners owning their own home as she described it, is 100% legal.

but not the land.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1