Anthony Fauci's Brush with Death “I Was Afraid I Would Never Recover”

Social Media

image.png

Former White House chief medical adviser Anthony Fauci recently shared a deeply personal account of his battle with West Nile virus, expressing his fear that he might never fully "return to normal." Fauci, who became a household name during the COVID-19 pandemic and served as the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases for almost 40 years, opened up about the terrifying experience in an op-ed published by *The New York Times*.

"After I spent more than 50 years chasing and fighting viruses, one fought back and nearly took me down," Fauci wrote, reflecting on how the virus unexpectedly altered his life. At 83 years old, Fauci suspects he contracted the virus near his home in Washington, D.C. in mid-August, when he began feeling unusually weak and exhausted. Initially, he thought his fatigue might be related to lingering symptoms of COVID-19, which he had contracted just weeks earlier in July.

By August 16, Fauci’s condition had worsened significantly. He was admitted to the hospital, suffering from delirium, incoherence, and a high fever of 103 degrees. Once hospitalized, he was treated for sepsis while doctors worked to identify the underlying cause. Eventually, blood tests confirmed that he had contracted the West Nile virus.

“There is no treatment for West Nile virus disease, and I was left to deal with its toll on my body. It was terrifying,” Fauci admitted, describing how the illness severely weakened both his physical and mental state. The virus had such an impact on him that he feared for his cognitive abilities. “A very scary part of the ordeal was the effect on my cognition. I was disoriented, unable to remember certain words, asking questions of my family that I should have known answers to,” he wrote. "I was afraid that I would never recover and return to normal."

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) describes West Nile virus as being spread primarily through mosquito bites. Symptoms can include fever, body aches, rashes, and digestive issues like diarrhea. In severe cases, the virus can lead to long-term neurological damage or even death. Currently, there are no vaccines or targeted treatments available for West Nile virus, and every year, around 1,000 people in the United States are hospitalized with serious cases of the disease.

While Fauci’s spokesperson confirmed in August that he had been hospitalized and was recovering, Fauci himself admitted that, during the worst moments, he was deeply concerned about whether he would fully regain his strength and cognitive function. However, by early October, Fauci reported significant progress in his recovery. He shared that he was walking several miles a day and that his cognitive issues had resolved. Despite his improvements, he acknowledged that the experience had been "harrowing."

"I tell my story because West Nile virus is a disease that, for many people, can have devastating and permanent consequences," Fauci emphasized. He also warned that the virus can lead to permanent neurological damage and that, despite its prevalence—having been identified in 46 states across the U.S. this year—there remains a lack of public and scientific awareness about it. “Considerably more resources must be put into addressing this threat now, not when the threat becomes an even greater crisis,” he urged, calling for a stronger societal response to the dangers posed by the virus. “As a society, we cannot accept this as the status quo.”

Fauci retired in 2022 after a distinguished career but has continued to remain active in public discourse. In June, he released a book reflecting on his decades-long journey in medicine, and earlier this year, he testified before House Republicans about the U.S. government’s handling of the COVID-19 pandemic. His testimony marked his first appearance before Congress in nearly two years and sparked renewed interest in his career and his role during the pandemic.

For Fauci, the ordeal with West Nile virus served as a sobering reminder that even the most seasoned virus fighters are not immune to the dangers of infectious diseases. His story underscores the need for increased research and public awareness of emerging health threats like West Nile virus, which, while not as widely discussed as other diseases, still poses a significant risk to many Americans.

Based on a report from The Hill 2024-10-09

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I do not know if this will work against the West Nile virus, but in view of its broad-spectrum anti-viral properties, a web-search along this line:

ClO2 anti-viral

might suggest a potential cure.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, frank83628 said:

the creator of covid wants sympathy form the same people he endangered?

Yea rite……back to reality I’m delighted in your recovery and my support for your work on behalf of others what a fine contribution this selfless man has made for all people thanks doc and a long healthy life!