Thai Airways soars with ‘plane’-tastic gourmet menus for all classes

snoop1130

t-16-Thai-Airways-elevates-in-flight-dining-with-global-menus-and-Thai-street-food-to-showcase-soft-power-3.png

Thai Airways (THAI) is taking in-flight dining to new heights, literally. The airline has rolled out premium menus across all cabin classes, offering a luxurious yet culturally immersive experience. With European routes booming at an 80% load factor, Thai Airways has decided to up the ante on its service offerings.

In First Class, passengers can indulge in Italian caviar sourced from Javeri Caviar, served in elegant 20-gramme tins, accompanied by premium Amarone wine. Economy passengers aren’t left out either—they can enjoy the unique Streets to Sky initiative, a mouth-watering collection of Thai street food served at 30,000 feet, said THAI CEO Chai Eamsiri.

“This is part of our Soft Power mission, showcasing Thailand’s rich culinary heritage.”

October’s menu highlights include Khao Soi chicken from Lamduan Fah Ham, a famous Chiang Mai restaurant, and butter toast with Thai milk tea from After You, a much-loved dessert chain. The menu is rotated every two months, keeping things fresh and exciting for repeat travellers.

For November, expect pandan bread with coconut cream, and in December, the delightful taro custard bread is set to make an appearance.

Business and first-class passengers will also enjoy exclusive amenities, with business class receiving redesigned kits from Jim Thompson, while first-class travellers are pampered with La Mer products. Economy class passengers won’t leave empty-handed either, as eco-friendly tote bags from Thai brand Naraya are now distributed on medium- and long-haul flights, reported Pattaya Mail.

By Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Photo courtesy of Pattaya Mail

Source: The Thaiger

-- 2024-10-08

news-footer-2.png

image.png

• Love It 1

14 minutes ago, proton said:

Worst food I have ever had on any airline, apart from Qatar who could not manage a special meal in Q business class. I would not eat caviar. Emirates serves up some decent nosh.

Hmm... nothing good to say at all eh....

Thai Airways food in Eco and Business class is 'meh'... or as per expectations. 

As far as Business on Qatar Airlines - food is excellent (I was at 35,000 ft eating in QR - Q-Class as recently as last week)

IMO - there is very little difference between EK and QR from a food or service perspective. 

Q-Suites are outstanding...

As car as Caviar on a flight - thats a little opulent. I was served that in First (free upgrade) a year or so ago on Qatar Airways...   the 'air-lounge' or bar or whatever you want to call it is a nice novelty and EK is better, but I don't even bother sitting in the bar part anymore anyway, its always full of drunks trying to start a conversation !!!...

I don't have high expectations of Airlines (even in business class) - as long as the food is decent, tastes nice etc...   then I'm happy - I don't expect the food to be Michelin star levels no matter how the airlines wax lyrical about the culinary wonders...  

Perhaps thats the difference between our replies, my expectations of airline food are not as high as yours. 

31 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Thai street food served at 30,000 feet, said THAI CEO Chai Eamsiri.

so it's left over chicken that didn't sell on the Sukhumvit carts. 

oh'   that'll be tasty for the passengers :vampire:

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

As far as Business on Qatar Airlines - food is excellent (I was at 35,000 ft eating in QR - Q-Class as recently as last week)

IMO - there is very little difference between EK and QR from a food or service perspective. 

As car as Caviar on a flight - thats a little opulent. I was served that in First (free upgrade) a year or so ago on Qatar Airways...   the 'air-lounge' or bar or whatever you want to call it is a nice novelty and EK is better, but I don't even bother sitting in the bar part anymore anyway, its always full of drunks trying to start a conversation !!!...

I don't have high expectations of Airlines (even in business class) - as long as the food is decent, tastes nice etc...   then I'm happy - I don't expect the food to be Michelin star levels no matter how the airlines wax lyrical about the culinary wonders...  

Perhaps thats the difference between our replies, my expectations of airline food are not as high as yours. 

Q class Qatar booked Asian vegetarian months before, on plane no have, seat not working, one toilet not working and paid for reserved seat cancelled, no refund, forced to wait 35 minutes on boarding ramp in 40 degree heat. Emirates makes Qatar look like amateurs. I expect to get what I pay for, Qatar did not provide it, so never again.

1 minute ago, proton said:

Q class Qatar booked Asian vegetarian months before, on plane no have, seat not working, one toilet not working and paid for reserved seat cancelled, no refund, forced to wait 35 minutes on boarding ramp in 40 degree heat. Emirates makes Qatar look like amateurs. I expect to get what I pay for, Qatar did not provide it, so never again.

> Pre-ordered meal not available - thats terrible (I agree with your annoyance)

> Seat functions not working - thats also terrible (they should refund you for the flight)

> One of the toilets not working - (should offer air-miles for inconvenience)

> Reserved seat cancelled - Qatar Airways Business class does not charge for seat reservation (and all airlines reserves the right to re-seat you)

Forced to wait on boarding Ramp - not QR's fault, thought not sure what you mean by boarding ramp... If you mean 'Jet way' as a business class passenger you can stroll from the lounge to the plane in your own time, board last.

Emirates: my Wife and Son have had an awful experience with a delay with compounding issues and mistakes - they were compensated €600 each (€1200 in total) after I pushed back. 

No airline has performed well when something goes slightly wrong....  as soon as there's an issue and they need to colour outside the lines, it seems all airlines fall apart from a service perspective. 

For your seat not working: I would expect a 100% flight refund - Did you have proof and file a complaint ? use an ombudsman to push the complaint ?

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

I flew Thai recently in Biz and thought the food and service was very good.

I flew Thai Airways in Business Class last year - I hardly remember it... So nothing negative, nothing really great either... IMO - that means the flight was just fine, and thats all I expect - no complaints from me.

I've also flown the same route in Eco - and the same goes for that... nothing negative, nothing great either - and thats all I expect.

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

> Pre-ordered meal not available - thats terrible (I agree with your annoyance)

> Seat functions not working - thats also terrible (they should refund you for the flight)

> One of the toilets not working - (should offer air-miles for inconvenience)

> Reserved seat cancelled - Qatar Airways Business class does not charge for seat reservation (and all airlines reserves the right to re-seat you)

Forced to wait on boarding Ramp - not QR's fault, thought not sure what you mean by boarding ramp... If you mean 'Jet way' as a business class passenger you can stroll from the lounge to the plane in your own time, board last.

Emirates: my Wife and Son have had an awful experience with a delay with compounding issues and mistakes - they were compensated €600 each (€1200 in total) after I pushed back. 

No airline has performed well when something goes slightly wrong....  as soon as there's an issue and they need to colour outside the lines, it seems all airlines fall apart from a service perspective. 

For your seat not working: I would expect a 100% flight refund - Did you have proof and file a complaint ? use an ombudsman to push the complaint ?

They certainly did charge 2 years ago for seat reservations in Q class 62 quid for one leg of the flight. Anyway, they are terrorist sponsors who have the Hamas leaders living there. I have gone off stopping in the desert unpleasant no matter what level of flight you have. Back to Eva premium economy, good enough.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, proton said:

They certainly did charge 2 years ago for seat reservations in Q class 62 quid for one leg of the flight.

Of course they do, but you are arguing with mister know it all on this forum.

I have currently a booking with Qatar business class to Europe, and if I want to reserve a seat it's about 2500 baht per leg.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Near the end of the pandemic SIngapore airlines had special repatriation flights Sydney - S'pore - Bangkok (only one way). About 12,000Baht (not too bad).

Typically excellent service in every way and the food just excellent. A hour before we landed in Singapore the hosties came around with trays of very freshly sliced roast beef, ham, cheeses. salads and a selection of breads'.

The story was 'the food between S'pore and Bkk on the final leg won't have a big selection, so would you like a fresh sandwich to eat now or in a paper bag to carry to the next flight, or one to eat now and one for later".  I selected one for now and one for later.

When the hostie came back the 'one for now, nicely presented'. Then she revealed a tray of fresh sliced cake and said 'please select 2, one for now and one for later. As she was walking away another hostie on the spot with fresh Twinings tea.

The sandwich was excellent and so fresh and the cake also great

10/10

Edited by scorecard

2 hours ago, proton said:

They certainly did charge 2 years ago for seat reservations in Q class 62 quid for one leg of the flight. Anyway, they are terrorist sponsors who have the Hamas leaders living there. I have gone off stopping in the desert unpleasant no matter what level of flight you have. Back to Eva premium economy, good enough.

No bias there then, none whatsoever... 

You've managed to shoe horn terrorist sponsorship into a thread about Thai Airways Business class food and caviar !!! 

BUT... Yes, I accept your points on them theoretically housing known Hamas leadership... but what about excessive coal use in China and the electric vehicle boom ??...   (I'm wondering how transparent my point is there - it may draw a few confused emoji's from the mentally flawed).

Sports washing - yup... I'd agree with you there... F1 locations...  yep, sports washing again.

Airlines...    price and 'service' washing...  

Are we really all that cheap ??....   we only use 100% ethical products ?... where was your last Nokia made ?.... 

Cherry pick your point to shoe horn into an argument and see the debate fall apart - yes, issues are multifaceted... but really, you avoid Qatar Airlines because it is suspected (possibly even proven) that leaders of Hamas are thought to live in Qatar ???....    Which airline is left for you to fly on, or rather, how flexible are your ethics if you start drawing lines ?

22 minutes ago, CallumWK said:
2 hours ago, proton said:

They certainly did charge 2 years ago for seat reservations in Q class 62 quid for one leg of the flight.

I have currently a booking with Qatar business class to Europe, and if I want to reserve a seat it's about 2500 baht per leg.

OK... so you think I'm a know it all...    it may be 'tier related' but I have not once paid for seat allocation on QR....   

... the only time I had to, was Eco before I'd built up tier membership...  but business class (even with no tier membership) never... 

So...  know it all and knobheadery aside...   could this 'paying for business class seat allocation' be route or region specific ??

i.e. Its not something I've ever had to pay for while flying a Bangkok - Doha route.

Are you guys flying flying other routes where you are charged ? maybe there is a pattern there ?

*(i.e. onward to BKK / HKT to Australian destinations ?? at a guess)

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

i.e. Its not something I've ever had to pay for while flying a Bangkok - Doha route.

Are you guys flying flying other routes where you are charged ? maybe there is a pattern there ?

In my post I said it is a business class flight to Europe, so it goes over Doha

22 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Near the end of the pandemic SIngapore airlines had special repatriation flights Sydney - S'pore - Bangkok (only one way). About 12,000Baht (not too bad).

Typically excellent service in every way and the food just excellent. A hour before we landed in Singapore the hosties came around with trays of very freshly sliced roast beef, ham, cheeses. salads and a selection of breads'.

The story was 'the food between S'pore and Bkk on the final leg won't have a big selection, so would you like a fresh sandwich to eat now or in a paper bag to carry to the next flight, or one to eat now and one for later".  I selected one for now and one for later.

When the hostie came back the 'one for now, nicely presented'. Then she revealed a tray of fresh sliced cake and said 'please select 2, one for now and one for later. As she was walking away another hostie on the spot with fresh Twinings tea.

The sandwich was excellent and so fresh and the cake also great

10/10

SG - amongst all those I know who frequently travel it is this airline that wins hands down...

So when Qatar Airlines claim they are the best airline in the world, I know its complete marketing rubbish...   But, they are still a good airline...  arguably a 5* airline...    But, thought I've never flown SG business - my expectatoin would be higher than QR, EK, EY....  just because I've heard so many good things of the SG seating...  (service is individual - sometimes to get amazing FA's... sometimes the are just 'very good')...  very rarely poor, but the poor ones I remember are from Thai Airways (one particularly flight an FA was rather lazy and rude).

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

so it's left over chicken that didn't sell on the Sukhumvit carts. 

oh'   that'll be tasty for the passengers :vampire:

Here comes the bundle of positivity and joy that is steven100.

Seriously why do you bother? You pop up on nearly every thread with the most depressing, negative, unwarranted bitter nonsense. I just don't understand what motivates you.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, CallumWK said:
5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

In my post I said it is a business class flight to Europe, so it goes over Doha

Apologies - I didn't catch the Europe part.... 

Did they also charge for seating on the BKK - Doha leg ??... or was it an only Doha - 'Europe' leg ?

For the same reasons, I'm wondering 'IF' Qatar Airways charge for seat selection on Business Class on Doha-Europe routes (as a regional policy)...  because it does not on the Doha - Bangkok flights (Business class).

I want to avoid an argument where there is an explanation for the differences in experience - i.e. different policies depending on region in which the flight operates etc.

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

Apologies - I didn't catch the Europe part.... 

Did they also charge for seating on the BKK - Doha leg ??... or was it an only Doha - 'Europe' leg ?

For the same reasons, I'm wondering 'IF' Qatar Airways charge for seat selection on Business Class on Doha-Europe routes (as a regional policy)...  because it does not on the Doha - Bangkok flights (Business class).

I want to avoid an argument where there is an explanation for the differences in experience - i.e. different policies depending on region in which the flight operates etc.

As I said already, each leg. Guess you missed that also

37 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

OK @CallumWK - do you have tier membership ? (what level ?)... 

I'm a gold - and wanted to choose a Comfort+ seat - (which is like economy plus on 4 tier carrier - but QR are a 3 tier carrier but often borrow planes and switch the livery, but keep the original interior, hence the 4 tier interior (Eco, Eco+, Business, First)...  I couldn't for some reason... the website had my Tier membership (but still wanted to charge me for the Comfort+ seating) - I called the airline, issue resolved, free seat choice due to tier membership but for some reason that doesn't register online sometimes.... 

17 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

As I said already, each leg. Guess you missed that also

Each... 2 legs for 4 ??...   ... I now have to assume you mean ' thailand to Doha to Europe...  (4 legs in total).

After buying a business class seat, you have to pay 2500 bat per leg, Doha to Europe.

Were there any 'other legs' involved in your comment ? a Bangkok leg where you also had to pay extra to book your seat in business class ?

(so... 2500 per leg, of 4 legs... so 10,000 baht for seat selection in total over the whole journey ???)

Are you discussing a BKK-DOH-Europe flight (one way or return is irrelevant)...

I'm trying to see if there is a 'pattern' regarding who has to pay to select a business seat on Qatar Airways and if its related to routing (cos only on Eco and less than Gold tier membership) have I ever had to pay for a seat selection.

Either way - I agree with you to some extent - I hate the way airlines behave... the business model can be extremely frustrating to deal with... 

I was able to just take a business class flight (with work) because it was cheaper than Economy !!! (for those specific flights) astonishing...... It worked in my favour that time, because I needed to be there, but if it was a holiday for my family and I, I'm left paying extortionate prices for a trip I'll ultimately refuse to take after being priced out.... 

(at one point 2 years ago, I'd purchased 3x3 returns tickets... (covering a year) due to the predicted price increases... I saved a lot in doing so compared to prices closer to that time.

54 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

Edited by richard_smith237

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Each... 2 legs for 4 ??...   ... I now have to assume you mean ' thailand to Doha to Europe...  (4 legs in total).

After buying a business class seat, you have to pay 2500 bat per leg, Doha to Europe.

Stop the hair splitting, or are you really that dumb?

There are 4 legs in a Bangkok > Europe return flight, and each of them require payment for seat reservation.

I'm burgundi member

35 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

OK... so you think I'm a know it all...    it may be 'tier related' but I have not once paid for seat allocation on QR....   

... the only time I had to, was Eco before I'd built up tier membership...  but business class (even with no tier membership) never... 

So...  know it all and knobheadery aside...   could this 'paying for business class seat allocation' be route or region specific ??

I suppose I could dig the charge up if you are really that interested, it was a new class of the ticket that did not allow entry to the business lounges, but they let me in anyway at Heathrow.

1 minute ago, MalcolmB said:
32 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Take a drink then go for a drive - you'll feel better...  

already had one and incredibly made it home safely.

For the ten thousandth time.

"one"...  (assuming a beer & not 'one' bottle of lao Khao)...   its not drink driving then... 

But....  also assuming you made it home safely for the ten thousandth time...  

You go out and have a beer every night and drive home and have done so for 27 years and 145 days...   or you exaggerate... :coffee1:

1 hour ago, CallumWK said:

Yes thats about what I paid. At first they agree to repay the charge and told me when it would be in the bank. Then they changed their mind. Bugger Qatar from now on.

1 minute ago, proton said:

I suppose I could dig the charge up if you are really that interested, it was a new class of the ticket that did not allow entry to the business lounges, but they let me in anyway at Heathrow.

I recall Emirates doing that with a super saver Business Eco tier...   or when using an Airmiles or Cash+Miles upgrade... 

- no lounge

- no chauffeur trx 

- don't recall if they had priced seating or not though...