• Latest posts...

1. 45

Reasons of change

2. 45

Reasons of change

3. 45

Reasons of change

4. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

5. 112

Thai Police Bust Multi-Million Baht Sex Toy Smuggling Ring

6. 45

Reasons of change

7. 45

Reasons of change

8. 6

Thai woman sends husband to prison for raping 13 year old niece

9. 45

Reasons of change

10. 10

Why Doesnt "Me Too" Apply to Democrats?

11. 123

Why Do You Even Drink?

12. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

Bangkok Suffers Severe Smog as PM2.5 Levels Soar Amidst Heat Wave

snoop1130

On 10/10/2024 at 8:54 PM, Sigmund said:

As for Bangkok, the excessive amount of private cars all over and lack of public transport definately will not help to contain the Pm levels.

Private cars, yes, except they are much cleaner now then they used to be, many BEV cars and buses. But still way too many cars.

Lack of public transport? Have you been to Bangkok in the last few years? Massive improvements in public transport the last few years. Currently about 325kms of electric mass transit lines around the city which is pretty impressive. Lots more to come online in the next 4-5 years too.

On 10/8/2024 at 6:50 PM, rumeaug said:

Wonder where that smog comes from though

Some of it is because of low pollution control regulations on motor vehicles.  Think California several decades ago.  The problem is that adding pollution control costs money. 

I think they were trying to get rid of tuk tuks at one time because they were one of the worst.  Still see lots of them around so not sure what happened with that.  I also remember reading a story a couple years ago how they were planning to increase the pollution control requirements on new vehicles.  Not sure what happened with that.  More and more vehicles are electric now but that transition is going to take decades.

Edited by shdmn

2 hours ago, Sigmund said:

Good point you made as I wonder how they manage to to it...as it is obviously humid most of the time.  Guess with gasoline topped over...

No, don't think so -  they don't burn in the wet - they traditionally burn in the cooldry for practical reasons. Burning has to move along the ground to vclear stubble and the dsoil it can't do that in the wet- humidity is only relative - by Jan march most crops are like a tinder box - that's why forest burning gets out ot hand.

Domestic burning is also traditionally done at the beginning of the year.

Any pollution now will be caused by cars and industry.

Heat wave?   I judge temperature by the consistency of a can of Ghee that I use in cooking.  My Ghee thermometer now has chunks of butter floating around now.  I haven't seen that since last Cool Season.  Heat wave huh?  Right.

:angry: The polar ice-caps are melting and the oceans are boiling.

:biggrin: Of course they are. 

• Confused 1