Why Do You Even Drink?

SoCal1990

8 hours ago, CallumWK said:

I notice our resident troll is again very active in this thread, shame his posts get removed before I have the chance to read them

Doesn't make sense,you call him a troll but want to read them?

I beg your pardon ...we never promised you a rose garden!

• Confused 2

I drink perhaps one beer or glass of wine per month. Usually on social occasions. Various health conditions dictate abstemious behavior but not been a problem.
I have a few bottles of wine and beer I made myself because I enjoy making stuff. Just had homemade bread with peach/ apple butter for brekkers  as another example.

At one younger time I was worried I might have an alcohol problem but turned out, “ As a matter of fact, I like beer.” When time came it was no problem at all to switch to soda or plain water.

Watching here so many alc addicted farangs this is a good question.

Most of them might be losers, came here after a failed marriage, insufficient funds, or any other low income, hoping to forget their misery by buying booze and sometimes sex.

Poor life I'd say 

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, connda said:

It never fails to amaze me, the number of "Holier Than Thou" and "Richer Than You" types who can't wait to pontificate on Aseannow about being morally superior to other expats here.

If some guy finds a modicum of happiness lazing his days away in Margaritaville with young Thai lasses willing to satisfy his carnal needs, for a price, then honestly - what the hell's business is it of anyone but him?  

exactly ...  and same here,  if I wanna sit here and enjoy my cold beer while reading all the nonsense that appears on AN daily then that's my god damn constitutional right  !  no one pays ya rent ...    only you..:drunk:

image.png.87b269e3dbf7c0d8ad19570afc57d04f.png

On 10/9/2024 at 11:47 AM, BritManToo said:

Most people buy the cheapest alcoholic drink they can tolerate.

Fine wine is a waste of money after the first glass or two.

1 wine cooler costs 28bht (3 bottles to get the effect)

0.5g of cannabis costs 10bht (that's enough)

So clearly cannabis is a better option at 12% of the alcohol cost.

Don't agree with you it all depends where you live. I am in the west now I buy cask wine have a few glasses at night it cost me just 14 AUD for 5 liters, weed is illegal here, I never drink and drive, if you drive after smoking weed the night before you will be walking home. Weed stays in your system for a few days. 

On 10/9/2024 at 8:26 AM, SoCal1990 said:

Why do people even drink alcohol? I can’t work it out. They spend a lot of money on wine and the like. Then they spend hours drinking the stuff trying to get snockered. And once they’re properly drunk then they are possibly going to get in a serious car accident, a fight, fall down, throw up and end up lying in a pile of their own vomit,

You do realize there is more to life than high school right? 

The situations you describe, while they do occur are outliers, not the norm.

I cut way back on booze a few years back, it wasn't a conscious decision but something that happened over time simply because I wasn't having fun anymore. I still have the occasional drink, but it is getting harder to come up with an appropriate occasion.

Another huge deterrent is passing by bars in my day-to-day routine and realizing that the crowd holds no appeal to me.  There are increasingly few attractive, vital folk at the tables (male or female) . It seems to me a bad time to open a venue, the people drinking today were the same drinking 10 years ago with no steady infusion of new blood.

23 minutes ago, steven100 said:

exactly ...  and same here,  if I wanna sit here and enjoy my cold beer while reading all the nonsense that appears on AN daily then that's my god damn constitutional right  !  no one pays ya rent ...    only you..:drunk:

image.png.87b269e3dbf7c0d8ad19570afc57d04f.png

A decade and change ago, this is what my maid saw every Monday morning, but wine bottles and Heineken

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, connda said:

It never fails to amaze me, the number of "Holier Than Thou" and "Richer Than You" types who can't wait to pontificate on Aseannow about being morally superior to other expats here.

If some guy finds a modicum of happiness lazing his days away in Margaritaville with young Thai lasses willing to satisfy his carnal needs, for a price, then honestly - what the hell's business is it of anyone but him?  

It was about alcohol, wasn't it?

On 10/10/2024 at 10:10 AM, kingstonkid said:

I enjoy a beer while watching cricket and talking to the nice ladies 😜 

Yes, but some cricket matches last for 5 days!!