One Student Killed, One Critically Injured in Collision with Russian’s Maserati: Na Jomtien

Georgealbert

BP reported that the Maserati had no license plate.

Interesting that so many experienced accident investigators on this farang forum didn't mention this. 

Instead blaming a poor Thai kid.

• Agree 1

I know some posters object to people trying to analyse/2nd guess what might have happened, but here goes.....

The Russian cut the corner (for whatever reason....F1 racing line, drunk, on his phone) to a ridiculous extent and consequently was way over on the wrong side of the road, even into the bike lane.

The kid on the bike, shocked by the oncoming car, turned to his right to avoid it......the bike may well have had no front light and the collision would come as a huge shock to the Russian......the Russian then pulled up (without thinking?) on the wrong side of the ride, still on the bike lane.

Done.

• Haha 2

On 10/9/2024 at 1:09 PM, MikeandDow said:

All expats living in Thailand are required to get a Thai drivers license.

Nonsense

Its not nonsense..  but there are other factors involved.

If you a foreigner is here on a resident visa (i.e. Non-Immigrant O Visa or extension thereof) they are required to obtain a Thai Licence.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

If you a foreigner is here on a resident visa (i.e. Non-Immigrant O Visa or extension thereof) they are required to obtain a Thai Licence.

They are not, only if they intend to drive,They can drive on an international license can drive on there license for 3 month  

You are implying  that because you have a Non-Immigrant O Visa or extension that you have to get a driving license which is not true

Edited by MikeandDow

13 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

Or the motorcycle was on the wrong side of the road, and the Maserati hit him while steering away from the bike....thus ending up on the other side of the road, mainly because his tire and rim are destroyed, and he can't control the car anymore. Could be a thousand things, nobody knows until they are finished investigating, be nice if there was a dashcam, or CCTV.

Yes....good shout......and more plausible.

3 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Yes....good shout......and more plausible.

The picture also looks like there is a bike lane on only one-side of the road, the other side looks like a narrow lane, with a guardrail, with no breakdown lane available. You'll also notice the motorcycle is on the right side of the road next to the guardrail. So both vehicles ended up on opposite sides of the road.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, MikeandDow said:
23 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

They are not 

In Thailand, the requirement for foreign residents to obtain a Thai driving license in order to drive legally is not tied to a single specific law, but it falls under a combination of the Land Traffic Act B.E. 2522 (1979) and Royal Decree on Car and Motorcycle Registration. These laws regulate the operation of motor vehicles within Thailand and stipulate that drivers must have a valid license recognised by the authorities.

Key points regarding the legal basis:

1. Land Traffic Act B.E. 2522 (1979): This law governs road traffic rules in Thailand. It requires that anyone operating a motor vehicle must have a valid driving license. The act applies to all individuals, including foreigners.

2. Department of Land Transport (DLT) Regulations: According to the DLT, foreign nationals residing in Thailand on long-term visas, including residence visas, work permits, or retirement visas, are required to obtain a Thai driving license. While the law allows tourists and short-term visitors to use an international driving permit (IDP) or a valid foreign driving license for up to 90 days, long-term residents must convert their foreign driving licenses or apply for a new Thai license after their stay exceeds this period.

Although not explicitly mentioned in the Land Traffic Act, the interpretation by authorities and the Department of Land Transport (DLT) makes it clear that long-term residents must adhere to this regulation to avoid fines or legal complications.

This requirement is based on the idea that only temporary visitors can drive on international permits, while long-term residents should have a locally recognised license.

If you are residing in Thailand under a long-term visa, you are therefore required to obtain a Thai driving license to comply with these regulations.

The reality is of course is that people are lazy and the police are lazy - so not much happens if caught without a Thai License while no a resident visa - but IF someone were to have an accident and the insurance company was looking for 'wiggle room'... this technicality could provide that.

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

In Thailand, the requirement for foreign residents to obtain a Thai driving license in order to drive legally is not tied to a single specific law, but it falls under a combination of the Land Traffic Act B.E. 2522 (1979) and Royal Decree on Car and Motorcycle Registration. These laws regulate the operation of motor vehicles within Thailand and stipulate that drivers must have a valid license recognised by the authorities.

Key points regarding the legal basis:

1. Land Traffic Act B.E. 2522 (1979): This law governs road traffic rules in Thailand. It requires that anyone operating a motor vehicle must have a valid driving license. The act applies to all individuals, including foreigners.

2. Department of Land Transport (DLT) Regulations: According to the DLT, foreign nationals residing in Thailand on long-term visas, including residence visas, work permits, or retirement visas, are required to obtain a Thai driving license. While the law allows tourists and short-term visitors to use an international driving permit (IDP) or a valid foreign driving license for up to 90 days, long-term residents must convert their foreign driving licenses or apply for a new Thai license after their stay exceeds this period.

Although not explicitly mentioned in the Land Traffic Act, the interpretation by authorities and the Department of Land Transport (DLT) makes it clear that long-term residents must adhere to this regulation to avoid fines or legal complications.

This requirement is based on the idea that only temporary visitors can drive on international permits, while long-term residents should have a locally recognised license.

If you are residing in Thailand under a long-term visa, you are therefore required to obtain a Thai driving license to comply with these regulations.

The reality is of course is that people are lazy and the police are lazy - so not much happens if caught without a Thai License while no a resident visa - but IF someone were to have an accident and the insurance company was looking for 'wiggle room'... this technicality could provide that.

Yes i know this But as i said Only if they intend to drive  YOU implied that If you have a  Non-Immigrant O Visa or extension  you are required to get a Thai license which you are not  And if you read the law correctly you can drive on your country's license for 3 month before getting a Thai license This is a Reciprocal Agreement   A Thai can drive a Car in the Uk for 3 months  before he needs to get a UK license  and if you know Law "Should" is Not mandatory  "shall" is mandatory

Edited by MikeandDow

On 10/9/2024 at 11:32 AM, pattjock said:

I feel sorry for these kids and their families, RIP.

These kids were 17, so definitely had no license. I see this daily around schools where hundreds of kids, 2-3 per motorbike, usually no helmet, all to young to have a license, arrive and park at their school. The school don't care, parents don't care and the police don't care ????

But the Russian had NO plates on his vehicle. IMHO no plates, not even red plates, Probably means that the owner either 1) didn't have the car taxed and registered in the first place which means that it wasn't insured, or 2) took the plates off to show what a big important person he thought he is. Either way I very much doubt that the insurance company will pay out anything.

Looking at the photo, the car has n/s/f damage, whilst carefully omitting any reference to the Russian driver and it is on a bend. Either it is a bad photo or it is dark, but I can see no sign of skid marks indicating the driver was braking hard.

44 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

The picture also looks like there is a bike lane on only one-side of the road, the other side looks like a narrow lane, with a guardrail, with no breakdown lane available. You'll also notice the motorcycle is on the right side of the road next to the guardrail. So both vehicles ended up on opposite sides of the road.

The 1003 looks like this in daylight ...1003.png.624f95234a290c5bc2f3a7e9e3e4d805.png... I'm not sure that this is the exact location of the crash, but the whole length of the road is like this from Buddha mountain to the 331.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, chickenslegs said:

The 1003 looks like this in daylight ...1003.png.624f95234a290c5bc2f3a7e9e3e4d805.png... I'm not sure that this is the exact location of the crash, but the whole length of the road is like this from Buddha mountain to the 331.

Probably right, hopefully they have some evidence of who was on what side of the road, though you would think there would be some evidence of the impact on the pavement where they hit each other.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

I can see no sign of skid marks indicating the driver was braking hard.

Those red and blue lights seem pretty far down the road, the Maserati must have rolled for quite a bit before stopping.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

Those red and blue lights seem pretty far down the road, the Maserati must have rolled for quite a bit before stopping.

Rolling would be a  bit tricky, I think as it only seems to have 3 wheels instead of 4.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2024 at 8:17 AM, mikebell said:

What job does the Russian do to drive a Maserati?

Most likely we will never find out, especially if this Russian is loaded and can pay the necessary to make this whole thing go away, including the parents of the boys.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out..........

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, MikeandDow said:

Yes i know this But as i said Only if they intend to drive  YOU implied that If you have a  Non-Immigrant O Visa or extension  you are required to get a Thai license which you are not  And if you read the law correctly you can drive on your country's license for 3 month before getting a Thai license This is a Reciprocal Agreement  

Then thats being pedantic and ridiculous...   Obviously if someone doesn't intend to drive there is no need to obtain a Thai license - the fact you brought that into the fray is just outright odd.

2 hours ago, MikeandDow said:

A Thai can drive a Car in the Uk for 3 months  before he needs to get a UK license  and if you know Law "Should" is Not mandatory  "shall" is mandatory

Its 12 months.

Edited by richard_smith237

Thai motorbike riders regularly cross the line dividing 2 sides of the road. It is something of a norm here. Thai motorbike drivers are by far the main violators on the Thai roads. The basic driving rules seem to be fully ignored by many of them. I give 80% probability that it was the "Thai kid" who crossed the line. The younger they are - the worse their driving habits are.

Edited by Hellfire
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Most likely we will never find out, especially if this Russian is loaded and can pay the necessary to make this whole thing go away, including the parents of the boys.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out..........

The Russian will probably pay nothing if he is able to prove that the Thai motorbike rider was moving on his (the Russian's) side of the road. 

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Hellfire said:

The Russian will probably pay nothing if he is able to prove that the Thai motorbike rider was moving on his (the Russian's) side of the road. 

And the fact that the Russian's vehicle had NO registration plates and was illegal to drive on the roads means nothing to you

Blame the victims without knowing the facts.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

And the fact that the Russian's vehicle had NO registration plates and was illegal to drive on the roads means nothing to you

Blame the victims without knowing the facts.

I did not blame anybody. I just made a prediction based on my experience. 

4 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

From the way the car is parked it very much looks like the Russian was taking the Racing line!!