Are Older Men in Thailand Trading Love for Financial Ruin

The deal is to know what you want and be reasonable.  Been here 15 years had numerous long time gf.

Stayed away from the young 20-30 group because I know I would die younger and have little in common.

I asked a 20 something on a date site why she was interested in some one late 50.  She was honest I have money fairly stable and she will be in her 50 and able to find another husband after I croak.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, norsurin said:

As i posted in another topic i prefer to be single.I learned my lessons after married with a thai lady and some girlfriends there No stress about anything.I do the things i like whenever i want 

The smiling lady change fast as soon its get serious.. jealous..childish..etc etc 

I have some regular girls i meet sometimes but nothing serious and they know it and respect that.Meet for dinner and after honky ponky.I never allow anybody pick me up in the airport.

I want a free life after arriving and i decide who and when i want to meet the lady.

Ok

First, you need to understand that you don't buy "Love" in Thailand.
You can buy "take care" and maybe "affection", but certainly not "Love".
This "take care" and "affection" have a price tag.
Monthly allowance for the girl; Allowance for her parents and family; A certain degree of luxuary (house, car, etc.).
On top of that, if you chose to marry that girl, you will need to pay for the "Sin Sot".
Failing to accomplish and of these requirements will end your marriage instantly.
Marriages with a Thai girl which are based on TRUE love, where the girl will never ask to pay anything for the marriage or for her family and where the girl has her own income are far and between.

The concept of marriage like we know, where the partners will both work on their future is unknown in Thailand.
I have in my 24 years in this country, many Thai-Foreigner marriages see go down the gutter faster than you blink an eye and the foreigner losing a lot of money.

You also need to be aware that you are a foreigner in their country and will never have the rights to build a marriage together.
The dream of buying your own house and build something together will be soon smashed by the reality that this is a "NO" for foreigners.
You are and will always be a second class citizen in this country.

Last, but not least, be aware that most Thais (specially the north and the north-east) are ONE FAMILY.
You girl is part of that family and she will always be responsable for the family.
As soon as you marry, family members from every corner in Thailand will show up with their problems or their dreams and "have a word" with your girl.
A loan to setup a coffee shop or a little shop, a loan for a motorbike, etc.
Moaning about that loan will be the crack of your marriage.

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

In my case. Andropause is salvation.  I am nearly 75 and my live-in girlfriend is 46. The lure of sex has little sway over me at my age. I do appreciate the companionship and realize that she is with me only because I can support her but she doesn't ask for much. I can tolerate this "end of life" scenario as long as things do not get complicated. I am prepared to be alone if necessary.

• Like 1

LOL! Many old farts should keep their "thing" in the trousers and stop believing in "Santa"! They are fools who believe they achieve love and happiness! SUCKERS!! I am one of those old farts, and I am happy as can be ALONE but with just friends around me.

3 hours ago, Confuscious said:

Monthly allowance for the girl; Allowance for her parents and family; A certain degree of luxuary (house, car, etc.).
On top of that, if you chose to marry that girl, you will need to pay for the "Sin Sot".
Failing to accomplish and of these requirements will end your marriage instantly.
Marriages with a Thai girl which are based on TRUE love, where the girl will never ask to pay anything for the marriage or for her family and where the girl has her own income are far and between.

The concept of marriage like we know, where the partners will both work on their future is unknown in Thailand.
I have in my 24 years in this country, many Thai-Foreigner marriages see go down the gutter faster than you blink an eye and the foreigner losing a lot of money.

You also need to be aware that you are a foreigner in their country and will never have the rights to build a marriage together.
The dream of buying your own house and build something together will be soon smashed by the reality that this is a "NO" for foreigners.

Last, but not least, be aware that most Thais (specially the north and the north-east) are ONE FAMILY.
You girl is part of that family and she will always be responsable for the family.
As soon as you marry, family members from every corner in Thailand will show up with their problems or their dreams and "have a word" with your girl.

All nonsense IMHO.

I'm not sure any woman loves any man in a relationship lasting longer than around 2 years. They might stick around but the sex will be gone. Don't think I've encountered any women worldwide that contribute much financially either, she spends her income on herself, the man pays for everything else. After 15 years here, I've not lost anything to my misses that I wouldn't have spent on rent and hookers.

As an old white guy in the UK I was already considering my self a second class citizen, so no change.

Never had any problems with her family, but then I make no effort to mix with them.

If you are aware of that you are a provider – just like in old-fashioned Western marriages – and keep both feet solid on the ground and thinks before you act, so you do not feed a gold digger, a relationship or marriage with a Thai lady can work well and be win-win.

There are ways to secure yourself – especially important financially – and if you use them and also set limits for what you can or will support, the gold diggers will depart, while the the "good" lady looking for long-term relationship and security will stay.

A long lasting relationship are more than sex – and don't forget that some Thai ladies also accepts a mia noi or little giks – especially if you are an elder man and need someone younger to care for you when aging sets in.

Lol, "true love". First you need to understand there is no such thing. Love is a fantasy of the soul, that can be triggered, ie ignited, by a smart woman, it may SEEM real to you, and to her too, but it is not actually REAL. It's just a fantasy of the mind. This applies in Asia, Europe, North America and everywhere else.

It is unknown in the entire world as far as the female sex is concered, the "equal partners" fantasy is a MALE fantasy where we transpose our ideal into the relationship, however, women don't want equal partnership. They want the Prince and to feel small and look up, and enjoy the fruits of being with the Prince. Equal Partner is your ideal, not hers.

Edited by Cameroni
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It’s Thailand, for farangs only 3 things matter for a wonderful relationship. Money money and money, god help those who run out of it. The sad truth is that like in most countries ALL men or in Thailand farangs, are simply walking ATMs. If you keep that at the forefront of your mind, you won’t be a pauper when the illusion of love wears off. At least Thai women are feminine and great at acting the part.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Don't know how TH is different from any other country they may move to, or even finding new love in their own country.

Choose wisely, and live with your choices, or not ... UP2U

I've benefited greatly by being in TH, especially with 2nd Thai wife, coming up on 2 decades (19 yrs) living together.  More so than the same amount of adult life in the USA.  Both countries are fun, and provided plenty of opportunities & smiles :coffee1:

Not a whole lot of romantics here.  When it's love, you know it.  The Mrs can leave anytime she wants, as she's self sufficient.  Didn't need me before we met (52 &30), doesn't need me now.

Edited by KhunLA

That is the problem with many of the moaning farangs I have come across, in my experience, they are with women from the North East of Thailand as they probably met at a girly bar where the girl worked, that has been the story I have been told in most of the cases.

So they meet a much younger girl whose aim is to grab a stupid farang with money to take care of her and her family for the rest of their lives and then are stupid enough to do it.

The further problem with these farangs is they mix with other farangs who have also married the same type of women and then think this is the norm in Thailand, it is in fact quite the opposite.

The 99 % of Thai women who are not ex-bar-girls are married to Thai men, they work as a team and all of the Thai couples I have met both work, and the women do not expect to be paid for. 

My experience of Thais is here in the South of Thailand. 

My Thai partner for instance has worked all of her life, when I met her she was already financially sound, I have not bought a house etc for her or paid any money to her family as she is from the South, and is not the norm.

We pay our way together like most other 'normal' couples in the world and live a very comfortable life in Phuket (not the touristy part of the island).

I have come across very young and beautiful Thai women who told me they like me etc and I just laugh, (I am old enough to be their father) I tell them you like my wallet not me, as is the case with such an arrangement no matter where we are in the world. 

A lot of these farangs then come to hate Thai women, but they should be blaming their own stupidity and old man lust, if you play with fire then expect to get burned, but they do make me laugh. 😄

1 hour ago, JamesPhuket10 said:

The 99 % of Thai women who are not ex-bar-girls are married to Thai men, they work as a team and all of the Thai couples I have met both work, and the women do not expect to be paid for. 

That was my point, although it may have not been clear to many readers.

99% of the marriages, where both partners are Thai, they will work together and try to build up a future together.

But the marriage is completely different as soon as the husband is a foreigner and the girl is mostly a bargirl.

Most of these "man" will move upcountry with their teerak and spend their days in a bar with other foreigners who meet the same fate.

The others will move to their country with their teerak and fabricate a story in which they meet their wife in a hospital or any high place.

I have plenty of TRUE examples of this.

1 hour ago, JamesPhuket10 said:

What a wonderful world you inhabit. In your own mind. Where women are not paid for, and work as a team with the men. Excuse me while I laugh my ass off, but if you ask these Thai men who pays the mortgage, the rent, the food, etc and I can guarantee you with 100% certainty it is the Thai men. The Thai woman pays for herself. She would not pay for the man.

This is how it works the world over.

2 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

That was my point, although it may have not been clear to many readers.

99% of the marriages, where both partners are Thai, they will work together and try to build up a future together.

But the marriage is completely different as soon as the husband is a foreigner and the girl is mostly a bargirl.

Most of these "man" will move upcountry with their teerak and spend their days in a bar with other foreigners who meet the same fate.

The others will move to their country with their teerak and fabricate a story in which they meet their wife in a hospital or any high place.

I have plenty of TRUE examples of this.

"But the marriage is completely different as soon as the husband is a foreigner and the girl is mostly a bargirl."

True I suppose because if the girl can sell herself for money every night in a bar then she would not think twice about cheating her husband out of his money.

But there are many 'normal' Thai women who have long and happy relationships with a farang, I am one of those farangs. 

Not all Thai women are from "poor" (as they claim) backgrounds and have made their own wealth and way in life.

1 minute ago, Cameroni said:

What a wonderful world you inhabit. In your own mind. Where women are not paid for, and work as a team with the men. Excuse me while I laugh my ass off, but if you ask these Thai men who pays the mortgage, the rent, the food, etc and I can guarantee you with 100% certainty it is the Thai men. The Thai woman pays for herself. She would not pay for the man.

This is how it works the world over.

I feel sorry for you, if that is your experience of women then you must have a terrible life. 

I know many Thai families where both the man and woman work and pay for things together. 

Maybe it is different in the North East though, I have never wanted to go there. 

No hang on, when I had a house built six years ago in Rayong the builders were a Thai family from Issan, the Thai woman and the husband both worked on building the house. 

Therefore the guarantee you have made above has become instantly invalid. 

You said, "This is how it works the world over."

I know for a fact most married people in the UK are in a situation where they both work, it has been that way ever since my parent's time and I am in my sixties. 

Yet another false claim. 

I will make a silly claim now, 100% of people are aliens.