Cannabis Extracts Face Stricter Controls Amid Regulatory Shift

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai Public Health Ministry announced plans to tighten regulations on cannabis and hemp extracts, which are classified as Type 5 narcotics. This move, approved by the cabinet, aims to regulate the production, import, export, sale, and possession of these substances more stringently.

More like stay as they are... buy what you want on every street corner for personal use.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. The "burgeoning" in the "burgeoning sector" worth billions of baht is NOT in the "medical, commercial, industrial and scientific research...." area. It's in the recreation use market. This is Thaksin. Thailand will be much better off when this man dies.

100% agree with the 'This is Thaksin' and the next bit about dying. No recreational marijuana and I will be returning to Laos and Cambodia where it is readily available for my winter break next year. How to bugger up a country!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

More like stay as they are... buy what you want on every street corner for personal use.

I think recreational use needs to be legal but regulated. Not difficult. Same goes for vapes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spock said:

100% agree with the 'This is Thaksin' and the next bit about dying. No recreational marijuana and I will be returning to Laos and Cambodia where it is readily available for my winter break next year. How to bugger up a country!

It was, and will be, readily available in Thailand. The only difference is the legality issue. And as far as I understand this article is about extracts, not flowers.

1 hour ago, Spock said:

For reference:

Make no mistake about it. Smoking marijuana is illegal in Cambodia. If you do it publicly, you're liable to get stopped by police, and probably be charged a hefty fine.

March 2024 

A police crackdown resulted in 400 fresh marijuana plants being discovered on a remote cashew plantation.

Yes, cannabis may be available on the streets but not every street corner these days. There is a very proactive anti-drugs campaign at the moment ordered by the new PM Hun Manet.

"Prime Minister Hun Manet commended the proactive efforts of law enforcement, relevant institutions and authorities in the ongoing fight against drug-related crimes, citing notable achievements. 

He made these remarks while presiding over the launch of the ninth campaign against drug crimes, spanning from January 1 to December 31, which officially began on January 11. (2024)

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/2024-drug-crime-campaign-prioritises-national-wellness

2 hours ago, Spock said:

Readily available in Cambodia.? Really.

I am sure you can get it, but it's illegal, and with the hypercorrupt police force there, if you get caught it will cost you big time to stay out of jail. 

1 hour ago, thecyclist said:

I am sure you can get it, but it's illegal, and with the hypercorrupt police force there, if you get caught it will cost you big time to stay out of jail. 

Experience causes me to disagree. I used to buy from the cops who raided the plantations in Battambang. Siem Reap has a bar totally dedicated to selling marijuana. Top quality stuff is available at a price. If it's illegal in both countries, Cambodia would easily be my country of choice to take a risk. Never heard of anyone having a problem with police.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, thecyclist said:

I used to smoke there all the time, my hotel even provided a sala by the pool to smoke weed. There were bags of weed on every tourists table. I was told do it on private grounds and you won't have a problem.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Spock said:

Experience causes me to disagree. I used to buy from the cops who raided the plantations in Battambang. Siem Reap has a bar totally dedicated to selling marijuana. Top quality stuff is available at a price. If it's illegal in both countries, Cambodia would easily be my country of choice to take a risk. Never heard of anyone having a problem with police.

With respect, when did you last visit this "joint" - pre or post covid?

6 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

With respect, when did you last visit this "joint" - pre or post covid?

A fair question. I must admit it was pre-covid and the place may not have survived covid. I switched back to Thailand due to the legalization. However my mate who lives in SR tells me weed is freely available and quality stuff sells for similar prices to Thailand. If the place I was referring to has closed down, I am sure it's not the result of tighter policing. Cambodian tourism didn't pick up again like Thailand and many places I used to eat, drink and stay at did not survive the downturn. 

27 minutes ago, Spock said:

A fair question. I must admit it was pre-covid and the place may not have survived covid. I switched back to Thailand due to the legalization. However my mate who lives in SR tells me weed is freely available and quality stuff sells for similar prices to Thailand. If the place I was referring to has closed down, I am sure it's not the result of tighter policing. Cambodian tourism didn't pick up again like Thailand and many places I used to eat, drink and stay at did not survive the downturn. 

Thanks for replying and it was what I thought. Post covid many of the bars, restaurants and hotels remained closed and stopped trading. Siem Reap city underwent major infrastructure changes, including Pub Street and the surrounding entertainment areas. Out went the sleezy bars with their ghetto blasting music and in came new and refurbished bars/restaurants offering ambiance for all visitors. 

11 hours ago, webfact said:

cannabis and hemp extracts, which are classified as Type 5 narcotics.

I think many are missing the point.

This is about "extracts", as the article explains. So oils, tinctures, etc. Flowers are at this point not listed as such.

8 minutes ago, wombat said:

''proposed'' being the operative word.

nothing changes just rearranges ☻

Maybe. By the way you've quoted what I quoted (from article) not what I posted/commented.

Edited by dinsdale

3 hours ago, thecyclist said:

$50