Hua Hin

BarraMarra

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes of couse don't you?

Bus-probably same people who think economy is better then business class.

People that have sufficient funds and want a better travel experience choose a Taxi.  Another thing about the bus is the smell of feces occasionally coming up when someone uses the toilet.

Terrible.

No,i do not travel first class,i am not able to afford that.

its only 200km for gods sake ,  why not be adventurous and engage the services of a tuk tuk ?  apologies I've no idea  what the trendy slang is for that amongst the annoying telesales /  MLM community 

No need to negotiate a price beforehand either, let him keep you guessing for the entire journey, adding to the fun  

• Haha 1

On 10/12/2024 at 2:32 PM, bkk6060 said:

Why would anyone take a bus for that distance I assume they cannot afford a Taxi.

Crowded, some stranger sitting next to you.

Smelly stinky people everywhere.

Phone problem always people on calls loud mouth, ding ding ding messages, That high voice ¨Line¨.

People talkng loudly to each other could careless.

No control when you want to stop.

It is all a terrible experience in my opinion get a Taxi for peace and freedom.

I have used it a few times and as for smelly I'll outsmell the best.

I stopped using the bus. It was 305 baht from the airport to the bus depot outside of the city. You were then crammed onto a smelly overstuffed crowded van for another 100 baht for the drive into Hua Hin. If staying outside the main strip, you still had to get a  tuktuk for 200-250 baht from clock tower. Then the bus company started trying to charge excess baggage weight, and if you had 2 bags they wanted an additional bag fee. They started charging for online ticket purchasing. At peak season, it becomes a hassle to get a seat  and the departure times are sometimes inconvenient, The Customer service went from abrupt to rude and arrogant. Sometimes I travel with a friend or 2 to Hua Hin so it just wasn't worth it. 

Now we just either drive or take a driver for 2000 baht for a Camry or 2400 baht for an SUV. Once when we were several we took a private van for 3000 baht. It can sit 8 and there were 4 of us so every got to stretch out and sleep.  It gets there faster than the bus since there are no stops and transfers. It's private and less annoying. We use Hua Hin Cab.

On 10/11/2024 at 1:54 AM, DaLa said:

Train, infrequent and 3rd class is a bit hard on the backside. I don't know the exact fare but 100 baht should cover it.  But most important (for me) is it's multiple times safer than some of the F1 bus drivers.

Oh, and stop off in Cha Am, better beach and caters for long term residents rather than tourists.

You seriously believe Cha Am  is a better beach? The vehicles park all along the beach perimeter 2 rows thick with  pushy vendors of crap camped out on the strip. Getting to the narrow beach forces one to run the gauntlet. The beach road is lined with mediocre restaurants specializing in greasy fried food. Hua Hin beach between the Marriott all the way down to the Hyatt is often sparsely filled, is wide and open. The best swimming is farther south at the Pines army recreation area and golf course. Yes, Cha Am has many seasonal residents crammed into the condo towers. The houses behind the  beach road hotels are concreted patches, many with for sale or for rent signs on them. The quality of dining and of access to retail, health care and food stores is superior in Hua Hin. The only reason why so many foreigners are in Cha Am is because it was cheaper to purchase property. It's not a bad place, but it is a bit of an elderly ghetto. Hua Hin is distinguished by its youthful and vibrant Thai population because it hosts a large university, military training facilities, provincial government offices, hospitals, the Royal summer residence, and is where Bangkok's families and educated young people weekend or take holidays. Yes, lots of foreign tourists, but aside from high season are not particularly noticeable. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2024 at 7:02 AM, eastlight said:

Bangers - where's that?

Read a book once, long time ago, and some guy was talking about Bangers, Singers and Hongers. Took me a while to figure that out. In my defense: I was 16 at the time, and English was/is not my native language.

I’m not sure a taxi is much faster than the express bus, and lots of taxi drivers are completely bonkers and drive like crazy.
So I prefer the bus: Roong Reuang VIP, goes straight from Suvarnabhumi to Hua Hin airport. It’s about 400 baht and you can book in advance: 

https://12go.com/nl/bus/bangkok-airport/hua-hin?gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAADEdHW4gTFAntwtNixYHZ7q2yc70r&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgrO4BhC2ARIsAKQ7zUn9pO25UPAK6D1yYA1WqtzD-895rJerBfbidzIPJ985blHQWsYfgIwaArnHEALw_wcB

From Hua Hin airport you can have someone pick you up, or take a Grab to wherever you’re going in Hua Hin.

On 10/11/2024 at 12:54 PM, DaLa said:

Train, infrequent and 3rd class is a bit hard on the backside. I don't know the exact fare but 100 baht should cover it.  But most important (for me) is it's multiple times safer than some of the F1 bus drivers.

Oh, and stop off in Cha Am, better beach and caters for long term residents rather than tourists.

Agreed.

Happy to stay off the roads! We took the train from Bangkok to Hua Hin. 7:30 a.m. Express train #43 from Krung Thep Aphiwat. 330bt/each one way. It left on time because it was the first run of the day. It took three hous and was comfortable enough. We were not as lucky on our return trip back to BKK. Set to depart at 2:30 it was two hours late.

On 10/11/2024 at 12:17 PM, BarraMarra said:

either bus or Taxi

On safety grounds I would suggest the train. The road connecting Hua Hin from and to Bangkok is infamously dangerous.

There is a special express train leaving Bangkok at 7:30 am and another one at 10:50 pm, both arriving in Hua Hin approximately 3 hours later. All other trains are in average one hour slower. Prices from 144.00 THB.

Info here: Bangkok to Hua Hin | Train Times & Tickets (thailandtrains.com)

Tickets are sold online by several vendors, offering also tickets for vans and busses.

This is the one I used a few times in the past: Trains from Bangkok to Hua Hin from THB 144 Oct 2024 (12go.asia)

• Like 1

On 10/11/2024 at 12:17 PM, BarraMarra said:

either bus or Taxi

On safety grounds I would suggest the train. The road connecting Hua Hin from and to Bangkok is infamously dangerous.

There is a special express train leaving Bangkok at 7:30 am and another one at 10:50 pm, both arriving in Hua Hin approximately 3 hours later. All other trains are in average one hour slower. Prices from 144.00 THB.

Tickets are sold online by several vendors, offering also tickets for vans and busses.

This is the one I used a few times in the past: Trains from Bangkok to Hua Hin from THB 144 Oct 2024 (12go.asia)

• Like 1

Depends which train you use. No need to travel 3rd class.

51 minutes ago, AndreasHG said:

Road is dangerous and often heavily congested getting in/out of Bkk. Took a friend 5hrs to HH recently.

• Agree 1

On 10/11/2024 at 3:42 PM, BarraMarra said:

Thanks all good info looks like a Tacka then. Im not sure if i can book a taxi in Advance due to me flying into bangers in the morning Can't exactly book it in the UK.

Bangers? Where's that?

On 10/12/2024 at 1:52 PM, BarraMarra said:

Again thanks lads n lasses  lately busses have a reputation of bursting into flames. if I book a Taxi would the fare be the same as my good lady will be meeting me in Swampy. A few regulars like myself come to understand Bangers is BKK, Patters is Pattaya and Pookers is Phuket. Swampy is Suvarnabhumi,  A Tacka is a Taxi.

Regulars like yourself? I've been living here for 22 years and have never heard that clap trap!

Last March I went there by van : 200 bahts and 3 hours 40 mn from Ekamai

You can also get there by train

On the way back still Van but different company to Mo Vhit : 180 bahts 3 hours 45.

The train was one hour longer but I don't remember the price

20240318  -  Ekamai - Hua Hin (return same - 6pm).jpg

Edited by daejung

On 10/12/2024 at 8:01 AM, harryviking said:

Take a taxi! In that way you can stop and eat or have a coffee when you want and have a relaxing tour! It is also faster even with a couple of Coffee brakes!

A van stops on time too to make a break

On 10/12/2024 at 1:52 PM, BarraMarra said:

Again thanks lads n lasses  lately busses have a reputation of bursting into flames. if I book a Taxi would the fare be the same as my good lady will be meeting me in Swampy. A few regulars like myself come to understand Bangers is BKK, Patters is Pattaya and Pookers is Phuket. Swampy is Suvarnabhumi,  A Tacka is a Taxi.

And so childish 

Thankfully having travelled to Bangkok arriving through Suvarnabhumi airport every 3 months since it was opened it is the first time I have heard such stupid terminology and one hopes the last time.

On first reading your post one’s thoughts were that coming from the UK you were somewhat wrapped up in the coming November 5th Guy Fawkes event and “ Bangers equalled fireworks, but it was impossible to find  something that equalled “ Tacka “ especially as in the same sentence you use the word taxi.

May one ask what makes you think of yourself as being particularly clever and that everyone is as ridiculous as you? On second thoughts please don’t answer the mental strain of trying to decipher it would simply be too much, if you can mangle the English language in such a way one dreads the thought of what you do to the Thai language

So what's good about Hua Hin? I have been to that place many years ago and did not really like it has it changed a lot? I only need to travel about 76 miles so distance and time is not a problem. Can you point out some good restaurants (including western food ) Money not a problem. Need a Hotel with lifts since I am slightly handicapped. All recommendation welcome  

30 minutes ago, still kicking said:

So what's good about Hua Hin? I have been to that place many years ago and did not really like it has it changed a lot? I only need to travel about 76 miles so distance and time is not a problem. Can you point out some good restaurants (including western food ) Money not a problem. Need a Hotel with lifts since I am slightly handicapped. All recommendation welcome  

Actually it got worse, with congestion, no parking, and price increases across the board.  Only good additions, are BluPort & Market Village.

Use to be a regular stop for us, a short wee, about 15 yrs running, then down to, 1 or 2 nights, and then points beyond southward.  About 4 times a year during school breaks

Now it's simply a pitstop, munch & quick shopping on the way back home, after a visit to Krung Thep.

We're only 100 kms away, and we don't bother with HH much.  Pop in a few times a year when driving by, and once for Immigration (extension).