Sending food back to the kitchen?

sqwakvfr

The thing is very simple here, as there are ground rules foe how to serve food world wide. It just doesn´t cut it to say that is not how it´s done here. Dining and restaurants are hospitality businesses, which have a certain code for professionalism.

If diners at a table order food at the same time, they shall also receive their food at the same time, so that they can enjoy their dinner together. if the diners at the table order appetizers, main courses, side orders and desserts they should be served:

• Appetizers
  • Main courses + side orders
  • Desserts

Anything else is to be seen as a bad service seen from the perspective of international level. Sure, if Thailand doesn´t want to be seen as a country who cares about their visitors and customers, that will be totally up to them. However, it can never been seen as a good service from owners, chefs or other restaurant personal who cares for there diners culinary experience.

Same if you order a certain dish, with a certain which how it should be cooked, and it arrives as something that is not cooked that way, you will have the right to send it back. Sure, if you go to a very low quality restaurant out in nowhere, you might need to have more tolerance with certain mistakes, but you should not need to. I also know that we are all different, in the way how much we accept and what we are reacting on. That is also up to the specific individual.

However, to get food served in the wrong way, order and/or have it served without being properly cooked can never be excused with that´s the way they do it. It´s just very poor respect for diners and only a wish that they eat as quick as possible, pay and get out.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

The thing is very simple here, as there are ground rules foe how to serve food world wide. It just doesn´t cut it to say that is not how it´s done here. Dining and restaurants are hospitality businesses, which have a certain code for professionalism.

If diners at a table order food at the same time, they shall also receive their food at the same time, so that they can enjoy their dinner together. if the diners at the table order appetizers, main courses, side orders and desserts they should be served:

• Appetizers
  • Main courses + side orders
  • Desserts

Anything else is to be seen as a bad service seen from the perspective of international level. Sure, if Thailand doesn´t want to be seen as a country who cares about their visitors and customers, that will be totally up to them. However, it can never been seen as a good service from owners, chefs or other restaurant personal who cares for there diners culinary experience.

Same if you order a certain dish, with a certain which how it should be cooked, and it arrives as something that is not cooked that way, you will have the right to send it back. Sure, if you go to a very low quality restaurant out in nowhere, you might need to have more tolerance with certain mistakes, but you should not need to. I also know that we are all different, in the way how much we accept and what we are reacting on. That is also up to the specific individual.

However, to get food served in the wrong way, order and/or have it served without being properly cooked can never be excused with that´s the way they do it. It´s just very poor respect for diners and only a wish that they eat as quick as possible, pay and get out.

Nah, that’s not true.

• Sad 5

10 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Sad to break it to you, but it is true. It´s actually a post and comment based on culinary facts.

Nah.

Different cuisines and cultures have different protocols.
An Italian or French restaurant will be different to a sushi restaurant , tepanyaki, Korean barbq, moo kata, or a Chinese restaurant, an Indian restaurant or even a dim sum restaurant.

Which will also all differ from say a Brazil Churrascaria restaurant.

Or even an Issan restaurant which differs from a classic southern Thai restaurant.

You are a bit naive and perhaps haven’t had much experience outside of European style restaurants which is fine, but you are completely wrong. 
Some use a knife and fork, some a spoon amend fork and others chopsticks.

It is a big wide world out there and most people are not farang. Especially in Asia.

Glad I could clear that all up for you.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. Always happy to help.

• Sad 3

46 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

Nah.

Different cuisines and cultures have different protocols.
An Italian or French restaurant will be different to a sushi restaurant , tepanyaki, Korean barbq, moo kata, or a Chinese restaurant, an Indian restaurant or even a dim sum restaurant.

Which will also all differ from say a Brazil Churrascaria restaurant.

Or even an Issan restaurant which differs from a classic southern Thai restaurant.

You are a bit naive and perhaps haven’t had much experience outside of European style restaurants which is fine, but you are completely wrong. 
Some use a knife and fork, some a spoon amend fork and others chopsticks.

It is a big wide world out there and most people are not farang. Especially in Asia.

Glad I could clear that all up for you.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. Always happy to help.

Yes, based on your reply, I have a couple of questions. Let´s see if you can answer them this time, as you invited them, or are you going to talk rubbish around them?

1. Where did I disagree with that different restaurants have different protocols? Of course that can have to do with how and what to eat the food with for an example. However, it has not to do with showing respect for the diners. One way to show that respect, is to serve all food at the same time to diners at the same table, or who came together.

2. What have all that you reply with to do with, for example, getting appetizers before main courses? In Thai cuisine, there are not much appetizers, as they usually eat all at the same time.
3. If Thai people run a restaurant serving European food, should they not follow the same rules like other nations do?

4. What did you clear up this time? Your own problems with understanding, as you so clearly mentioned before?

26 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

If Thai people run a restaurant serving European food, should they not follow the same rules like other nations do?

Not really. 
If you have ever visited a Thai restaurant in England for example, they have to adjust it for the English people. And that is what they do. It is not the same as a Thai restaurant in Bangkok. 

So, since this is Thailand it makes sense to follow local rules for the local people.
If they get the odd farang in there complaining who can not cope I don’t agree with you that all the Thai people should have to go along with the farang “rules” in their country.

People should learn to adapt to the local rules. If they can not they are better off leaving to another country where the rules suit them.

Or just simply ask for all the meals to be served at the same time if that is what you want.

Your other points are invalid also.

24 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

Not really. 
If you have ever visited a Thai restaurant in England for example, they have to adjust it for the English people. And that is what they do. It is not the same as a Thai restaurant in Bangkok. 

So, since this is Thailand it makes sense to follow local rules for the local people.
If they get the odd farang in there complaining who can not cope I don’t agree with you that all the Thai people should have to go along with the farang “rules” in their country.

People should learn to adapt to the local rules. If they can not they are better off leaving to another country where the rules suit them.

Or just simply ask for all the meals to be served at the same time if that is what you want.

Your other points are invalid also.

The problem with the adjustment, is that they change the flavor spectrum to suite a broader amount of diners, as they otherwise would be considered serving to spicy food. Everything else they adjust, only serves a positive purpose for the diners.

As serving a full table at the same time is standard and culinary norm internationally seen, you should not need to ask for that. You should be granted such respect automatically.

After that, you just take all other points and make them disappear. As I said, you would not answer. And this has nothing to do with farang rules. If so, do you also agree with below:

Thais do not have to drive careful to lower the astronomical death toll on the roads.
There is no need to fight corruption as that´s a part of the culture.

Freedom of speech is not necessary, as this is a part of Asia and it should be like that.

The worst meal I had was in Laos.  I walked up to a restaurant and there was like 2 kids and one older girl.  I pointed at the image on the menu.  They frantically started to call numbers on their phone.  They then said sit down.

The entire counter was swarming with flies and they were trapped inside the cabinet with the chicken open.  I still don't know what I ate that day.  It was like old chicken with clear tasteless slime on it.  I ate as much I could and walked out.

At the time I didn't know Laos was an absolute <deleted>hole.  Lesson learnt.

Edited by Chris Daley