Nationwide Alcohol Sales Ban Set for October 17th as Thailand Marks End of Buddhist Lent

webfact

2 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Can you not respect a culture AND have a drink?

Can someone respect a culture without asking for exemptions? Its only a day for gawds sake.

Edited by Purdey

6 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

I wonder how many ex-pat alkafrolics will be scurrying around to stock up for one day before they get the shakes!

Well I wont scurry anywhere but I will certainly buy a bottle of red to enjoy in the evening with a nice ribeye that is lurking in my fridge.  Bit like Christmas in the UK of old when the pubs were shut in the evening, don't know, or care, what happens there now.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Purdey said:

Can someone respect a culture without asking for exemptions? Its only a day for gawds sake.

Oh please!  Don't go throwing 'culture' at me when many Thais go on the pi55 on Buddha days. Buddhism is NOT a culture it is a religion, and I don't have any. I respect the right of others to have a deity of their choosing - but don't drag me into it. 

I accept that Monday was  King Bhumibol Adulyadej The Great Memorial Day and not a Buddha day. Nevertheless, it might have been nice to visit a local restaurant and raise a toast in his memory; still we could not do that on his birthday so why should a memorial day be any different!

IMO prohibition doesn't work and it is a symptom of a weak and insecure/controlling administration......... Thailand is a classic example of exactly how it doesn't work! If the authorities cannot trust the Thais with alcohol (election days are a classic) then exclude Farangs from this law. Yes, I do feel sorry for tourists in populated areas who are unaware of this and may have been attracted to Thailand by it's social scene.

I have respected Thai culture for over 18 years - this is not culture; it is law - and an outdated inappropriate one at that/

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

I wonder how many ex-pat alkafrolics will be scurrying around to stock up for one day before they get the shakes!

Drunk Man Cartoon png images | PNGWing

No need to scurry. I can take my time to get to the mom and pop shop and join the queue of Thais buying their alcohol. Some people on this forum have absolutely no idea. This has nothing at all to do about alcoholism. It's a prohibition enforced on religious grounds to appease a minority. Nothing to do with culture either. Indeed having a booze up on a day off is more culturally accurate and there'll be plenty of that going on on Thursday.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I accept that Monday was  King Bhumibol Adulyadej The Great Memorial Day and not a Buddha day. Nevertheless, it might have been nice to visit a local restaurant

Well I bought beer in BigC on Monday and we ate and drank at a restaurant (though not in anyone's 'honour'). Monday was not a booze-ban day at all.

As for tomorrow, I was grateful for the warning because these things catch me out. If I know in advance, I don't have to get annoyed. Or impugn someone else's culture.

"Exclude farangs"? Seriously? You just arrived or something?

Edited by isaanistical
spelinge
  • Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I accept that Monday was  King Bhumibol Adulyadej The Great Memorial Day and not a Buddha day. Nevertheless, it might have been nice to visit a local restaurant and raise a toast in his memory; still we could not do that on his birthday so why should a memorial day be any different!

Monday was not a booze prohibition day and neither was his birthday.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Monday was not a booze prohibition day and neither was his birthday.

I didn't say it was his birthday.......it was a substitute day for 13th October - the anniversary the anniversary of his passing.

I was wrong about it being no alcohol sales - sorry about that.

3 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Oh please!  Don't go throwing 'culture' at me when many Thais go on the pi55 on Buddha days. Buddhism is NOT a culture it is a religion, and I don't have any. I respect the right of others to have a deity of their choosing - but don't drag me into it. 

I accept that Monday was  King Bhumibol Adulyadej The Great Memorial Day and not a Buddha day. Nevertheless, it might have been nice to visit a local restaurant and raise a toast in his memory; still we could not do that on his birthday so why should a memorial day be any different!

IMO prohibition doesn't work and it is a symptom of a weak and insecure/controlling administration......... Thailand is a classic example of exactly how it doesn't work! If the authorities cannot trust the Thais with alcohol (election days are a classic) then exclude Farangs from this law. Yes, I do feel sorry for tourists in populated areas who are unaware of this and may have been attracted to Thailand by it's social scene.

I have respected Thai culture for over 18 years - this is not culture; it is law - and an outdated inappropriate one at that/

Nevertheless, I still believe that guests in the country should not argue for exceptions to laws. If you know the fifth precept of Buddhism, you will know that whether or not people break a precept or commandment (remember Thou shalt not kill?) the religion advises against alcohol. Many people in rural areas do give up alcohol for Buddhist Lent, whatever you have seen in cities.

1 minute ago, Purdey said:

Nevertheless, I still believe that guests in the country should not argue for exceptions to laws. If you know the fifth precept of Buddhism, you will know that whether or not people break a precept or commandment (remember Thou shalt not kill?) the religion advises against alcohol. Many people in rural areas do give up alcohol for Buddhist Lent, whatever you have seen in cities.

Buddhism (or any other religion) plays no part in tourism.

I am very familiar with rural areas and you are exaggerating by saying "many".

• Sad 1

On 10/14/2024 at 2:01 PM, damo1967 said:

100% - if people take a back-pack into a small family run business.. can always buy alcohol 365 days a year.

My local Ma & Pa shop will deliver 4 beers or more at no extra charge and still only 60b for a large Leo.