Its too expensive I may leave

georgegeorgia

If you think Thailand is too expensive you need to get out and see the real world. Spend some time in Europe, spend some time traveling around, spend some time in the US for God's sake. The inflation is out of control in the US is it is now more expensive than some of the major capitals of Europe.

Thailand is still quite reasonable. 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Come on man I know you get a good hourly rate with probably double time Sunday and superannuation payments of 11 per cent. You won't be eligible for the age pension. 

Where in Sydney does he work ?

image.png.dfe731b6b7e8dfa30cb7f017fd2863d3.png

• Agree 1

On 10/14/2024 at 7:43 PM, georgegeorgia said:

paid nearly $6 for a 6 inch subway ,same price in Australia 

You are your own worst enemy then - cheap burger and coke 711 would be about 60 baht. NO point in moaning about prices when you are choosing to buy expensive foods. Chicken salad from my local kabab stall (after 6pm) is 80 bht if you choose more healthy. 

I believe I am relatively OK for money, but my wife and myself recycle our daughters drinks stall plastic, bottles and card - we got 1200 baht the other month for it. We pick up the 711 stamps and get free food from it, pick up 1 bhts when you see them on the floor - they add up.

That said, if any of my fellow UK are living on a frozen pension - moving to vietnam will not help you in the long run as all you are doing is delaying the inevitable !

On 10/15/2024 at 12:50 AM, still kicking said:

I still pay AUD 240 per week for about 8 years now and still can afford to travel to LOS twice a year. 

Your $240 a week rent deal is not available for anyone else and is about a third of what a AU city apartment lease is these days, so no point continually boasting about it, over and over again, on multiple threads. Amazing. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Your $240 a week rent deal is not available for anyone else and is about a third of what a AU city apartment lease is these days, so no point continually boasting about it, over and over again, on multiple threads. Amazing. 

That's because he is in Government housing .

And on top of that the Rent assistance payment on his old age pension 

But it's Department of Housing so he is lucky to get it 

Edited by georgegeorgia

11 minutes ago, Snackbar said:

You’re paying tourist prices 

Yes I guess your right 

I do like Subway though 

I find the Tinnies meat pies are also quite expensive compared to Australia meat pies ,I mean who pays nearly $9 for a meat pie in Australia?

@georgegeorgia Wasn’t that you that posted last week about taxi drivers not being able to charge 500-1000 baht for a few kilometers trip because people choose Grab, so we should use regular taxis and everyone should tip them even if they don’t use the meter because they don’t make 80k/month anymore?  I could be wrong. 

Edited by keysersoze276
Clarity

12 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

That's because he is in Government housing .

And on top of that the Rent assistance payment on his old age pension 

But it's Department of Housing so he is lucky to get it 

Yes I know all that. My point is that the DH fails to mention that his $240 deal is not available to anyone else on here. It’s therefore worthless to this discussion. 

7 minutes ago, jippytum said:

At least you do get increments if you retire to Thailand. 

You would really have something to moan about if like me your pension was frozen by the UK government 15 years ago. 

Firstly , Australia forces it's citizens to do a 2 year resident before being able to go overseas ,so that's why you see many going back for their "2 year jail term" 

You also lose your rent assistance allowance etc if overseas

But...unlike the UK the Australian system is Means tested so you aren't eligible for old age pension (67) if you have more that I think 200k,? in your bank account,so no use retiring at 67 with retirement savings you won't get the pension 

,better to retire at 62 and SPEND it all before 67 if you want the pension !!! 

Edited by georgegeorgia

14 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

And you get the other dumb people who can not afford to retire working in Thailand for Thai money, and often needing a second income from their wife just to survive.

Yea

On 10/14/2024 at 11:43 PM, georgegeorgia said:

How do you afford to retire you guys who only have a small Government pension ??

Small? The monthly AU pension is equivalent to about 50,000 baht and indexed. A single AU retiree can easily survive on that amount in many parts of Thailand. 

Subway and flip-flops? lol. Good luck with accommodation if you go back to Oz. Heard it as horrendous there now, esp if wanting to buy. Btw, not that I wear them, but your flippy floppy things can be had in 7-11 for a few baht.

Just now, pomchop said:

is there a special comedy or troll forum that this nonsense can be moved to?

Ahhh but you keep coming back !

You have me on block but you can't help just to have a peek ,and you know what ,you'll be back again Pomchop.... because you love it !

And the advertisers love you ,thankyiu for your service Sir 

3 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Small? The monthly AU pension is equivalent to about 50,000 baht and indexed. A single AU retiree can easily survive on that amount in many parts of Thailand. 

Some can't ,I do time to time see threads on here where Australians  on the OAP have had to go back 

Maybe that relates to medical care though in which in Australia they would use the free system 

Edited by georgegeorgia

3 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Why is Canada so crap? Everything is worse in Canada. Canadian pension is half that and minimum wage is like 15 bucks.

3 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Subway and flip-flops? lol. Good luck with accommodation if you go back to Oz. Heard it as horrendous there now, esp if wanting to buy. Btw, not that I wear them, but your flippy floppy things can be had in 7-11 for a few baht.

Thanks Dave 

No I have paid off my apartment many years ago 

I'm not paying 200 Baht  $9 for a pair of thongs I can buy in Kmart for 50 baht