New Guidelines Introduced for Safer School Trips

webfact

Just now, brianthainess said:

And here we are again today with another bus accident, because the driver was to close to a pig truck when it braked, no seat belts worn by the students and the side door would not open.  Unless driving skills improve, test examiners improve and vehicle inspectors improve then the carnage will continue. Examiners and Testers need training from the real world, nobody here has a clue what is needed. 

Another possibility would be that people refuse to be passengers in unsafe vehicles. 

If enough people would do that then we would have better vehicles in Thailand. 

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Imagine those inspectors would be held responsible for allowing vehicles on the roads which shouldn't be on the roads.

I am sure that would motivate them real fast.

Well I am sure the plan is to blame the inspectors when something goes wrong, but how about checking their qualifications for the job, do they even know what they are doing? I doubt it.

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Imagine those inspectors would be held responsible for allowing vehicles on the roads which shouldn't be on the roads.

The point I'm trying to make is they only follow what they have been taught, they don't know how to make a proper inspection, no jack or levers are ever used, brake air systems never checked, steering never checked.

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Another possibility would be that people refuse to be passengers in unsafe vehicles. 

If enough people would do that then we would have better vehicles in Thailand. 

How would they know a passenger vehicle is unsafe ? 

3 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

Well I am sure the plan is to blame the inspectors when something goes wrong, but how about checking their qualifications for the job, do they even know what they are doing? I doubt it.

Yes, that is part of it.

But everybody should be responsible for our actions. If I agree to work for somebody and I know already that I am not qualified, then I shouldn't even apply for the job.

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thais might think a little bit more about the consequences of their actions if they were hit with huge law suits or prison sentences, but that doesn't happen either. I don't necessarily agree with overly-litigious societies like the United States, but the threat of a huge law suit at least makes people think about the possible consequences of their actions.

• Like 1

Who the hell is going to verify that the 'guidelines' are implemented by all bus companies and others. Guidelines is a weasel word. Do it have a precise meaning in law....or is a guideline just a suggestion that can be ignored if inconvenient to bus owners and has no legal; back up behind it?

3 minutes ago, MikeandDow said:

Thais might think a little bit more about the consequences of their actions if they were hit with huge law suits or prison sentences, but that doesn't happen either. I don't necessarily agree with overly-litigious societies like the United States, but the threat of a huge law suit at least makes people think about the possible consequences of their actions.

I am waiting for them to make better use of their point system, like we do in the USA, where tickets get expensive and insurance even more so for those who decide to not follow laws. That an towing with massive costs to get your vehicle back, only after making sure tickets are paid, having proper registration, and insurance. Hitting people in their wallets makes them change their way really quickly!

1 minute ago, retarius said:

Who the hell is going to verify that the 'guidelines' are implemented by all bus companies and others. Guidelines is a weasel word. Do it have a precise meaning in law....or is a guideline just a suggestion that can be ignored if inconvenient to bus owners and has no legal; back up behind it?

correct the word "guidelines " are as just as it says Guidelines Not mandatory can be ignored  the word should have been "Shall" which is mandatory  "YOU must comply"

5 minutes ago, retarius said:

Nobody even follows laws here, you can pretty much bet they will ignore anything labelled as "guidelines".

3 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

I am waiting for them to make better use of their point system, like we do in the USA, where tickets get expensive and insurance even more so for those who decide to not follow laws. That an towing with massive costs to get your vehicle back, only after making sure tickets are paid, having proper registration, and insurance. Hitting people in their wallets makes them change their way really quickly!

Yes they made a big thing about the point system but then Nothing No enforcement

Edited by MikeandDow

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The Office of the Private Education Commission (OPEC) has introduced six critical guidelines for private schools across Thailand regarding student safety during off-campus trips.

Stay off the roads and transport.

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Rubbish we were taught of road safety when I was in junior school 60+ years ago and there was little traffic in those days. But there again that was the UK.

(We were also taught how to swim.)

You know this is a Thailand forum NOT UK  I was asking the question in regard to Thailand not the UK so the question is NOT rubbish !!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, motdaeng said:

"Why is there no Road safety taught at schools" ...

it’s assumed to be common sense, but safety, consideration, and caution aren’t things thai culture typically emphasizes ... :sad:

Many believe not needed, kid(s) have good karma.

• Agree 1