WRLife just changed its policy even when you already have insurance !

bubblegum

I'm sure I do not like this at all! How the hell do I get a test for these illnesses? and what would it cost. 

Thank you for your email.

I would like to inform you that WRLife has recently updated its policy wording regarding degenerative diseases, adding new conditions to the coverage list.

Under these changes, all degenerative diseases will be covered five years after the start of your policy. To qualify for this coverage, a medical check-up is required. If no signs of degenerative diseases are detected during the waiting period, full coverage will be provided after the five-year mark. Please note that without this medical examination, WRLife will not offer coverage for degenerative diseases.

Additionally, WR Life has agreed to our request to implement the updated policy terms and conditions at the time of your policy renewal, rather than in the middle of your current policy year.

Notable Additions on Page 5: The updated wording includes several degenerative diseases such as:: Alzheimer's disease (AD), Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS, Lou Gehrig's disease), Charcot–Marie–Tooth disease (CMT), Chronic traumatic encephalopathy, Cystic fibrosis, Some cytochrome c oxidase deficiencies (often the cause of degenerative Leigh syndrome), Ehlers–Danlos syndrome, Fibrodysplasia ossificans progressive, Friedreich's ataxia, Frontotemporal dementia (FTD), Huntington's disease, Infantile neuroaxonal dystrophy, Keratoconus (KC), Keratoglobus, Leukodystrophies, Macular degeneration (AMD), Marfan's syndrome (MFS), Some mitochondrial myopathies, Mitochondrial DNA depletion syndrome, Mueller–Weiss syndrome, Multiple sclerosis (MS), Multiple system atrophy, Muscular dystrophies (MD), Neuronal ceroid lipofuscinosis, Niemann–Pick diseases, Osteoarthritis, Osteoporosis, Parkinson's disease, Pulmonary arterial hypertension, All prion diseases (Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, fatal familial insomnia etc.)Progressive supranuclear palsy, Retinitis pigmentosa (RP), Rheumatoid arthritis, Sandhoff Disease, Spinal muscular atrophy (SMA, motor neuron disease), Subacute sclerosing panencephalitis, Substance Use Disorder, Tay–Sachs disease, Vascular dementia (might not itself be neurodegenerative, but often appears alongside other forms of degenerative dementia). Always 5 years waiting period in any case. Please take a moment to review the updated policy wording attached to this email.

It does indeed seem to be a new policy requirement.  They have just told me that as I have been a policy holder since 2022, I can "now do the medical checkup" and send them "your report for degenerative sicknesses coverage".   I only renewed last month and if I hadn't seen this thread, I'd have been none the wiser.

Hopefully they can be specific about what needs to be included in the medical report.