Bangkok Stop Over

Me and Thai wife are flying with Thai Airways from UK stop BKK then fly to Australia to visit family over the Christmas break. On the way there it is 1 hour 20 minutes layover before connecting flight to Australia from BKK on the way back i.e. Australia to BKK it is a 22 hour layover in BKK.

I have UK passport wife has UK & Thai passport. On the way back would we be able to go through customs check in a hotel etc. like a tourist then come back for connecting flight next day without any issues.

As connecting flight is with same airline from Aus-BKK-UK then I assume luggage would be automatically transferred internally at BKK for UK leg. Or would we need to request it be unloaded and then check back in with luggage in BKK when we check in. We wouldn't need anything in the luggage as we could have in hand luggage anything required for overnight.

I’ve left my luggage when transiting at Changi for a quick city visit before, but that was over 10 years ago, a different carrier, and not to the UK or US for the follow on flight.

Just spoke directly with Thai Airways and they said I would need a Transit Visa.

According to the Thai representative I spoke to on the phone I would need to arrange this with UK Thai Embassy before the flight.

1 hour ago, louialive said:

Just spoke directly with Thai Airways and they said I would need a Transit Visa.

According to the Thai representative I spoke to on the phone I would need to arrange this with UK Thai Embassy before the flight.

You're a UK citizen. Why would you need a transit visa to enter Thailand? Simply enter visa free. Your wife would enter as a Thai would.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

You're a UK citizen. Why would you need a transit visa to enter Thailand? Simply enter visa free. Your wife would enter as a Thai would.

I have been to Thailand numerous times entering by visa on arrival form but wasn’t sure if it would be the same procedure if stopping as a transit passenger.

I appreciate its the same way out via customs but wanted to check if it would be seen differently as it was a transit visit as you can never be sure with these bureaucratic immigration people.

Just wondering if anyone had done the same thing.