Illegal to change lanes on a bridge?

BadCash

13 hours ago, stubuzz said:

Next time, tell them to review your dash-cam and they will back down. 

Thanks, that's what I tried to do, but my dashcam is pretty crappy at viewing video and of course froze up every time I tried to play it. They didn't seem to be bothered at all when I said I could show it though, which is why I'm thinking maybe I really did break some rule...

Will definitely buy a better dashcam now, one that doesn't freeze up when you need it..

16 hours ago, BadCash said:

Was driving a rental car in Bangkok the other day and got stopped by police at the Pratunam intersection, going north on Ratchadamri Road and turning east on Phetchaburi Road.

I had to change lanes just before the solid line started, but still a dashed line. It's my first time driving in Bangkok and on this road, so I wasn't sure if one or two lanes could turn. It was in rush hour and I was coming out from the Central World parking garage so had to make my way over all the way from left to right. The car in front of me also changed lanes at the same spot as me, just before the line became solid.

Unfortunately there was a police check at the intersection and they stopped me and said I changed lanes illegally, that the bridge was a "safety zone" and illegal to change lanes on it. They also showed a road sign on the phone which they supposedly thought supported their claim, although it was actually a sign forbidding passing other cars. 

Long story short they started off at 2000 baht and eventually lowered it to 500 baht cash payment after a few minutes of debating. 

But now I wonder if I even did anything wrong? I have reviewed my dashcam footage and I'm clearly changing lanes before the solid lines. Although I am holding up traffic behind me since the cars on the right won't let me in. 

A sign that says passing other cars is forbidden means changing lanes - that means to me that their claim is valid.

6 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

It’s probably not illegal but cops in Bkk will try every trick in the book to part you with 500 bht. I lived in Bkk for 10 years and paid multiple “fines”.

"...cops in Bkk will try every trick in the book..."

On the other hand they won't, I've lived in Bangkok since 1994 and been driving here since day one, I have never had to pay a single "fine" of the type you suggest.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

On the other hand they won't, I've lived in Bangkok since 1994 and been driving here since day one, I have never had to pay a single "fine" of the type you suggest.

You’ve been driving in BKK for the past 30 years and never paid a “fine”? Lucky you. By any chance, do you ride a bike as well?

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:
20 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You’ve been driving in BKK for the past 30 years and never paid a “fine”? Lucky you. By any chance, do you ride a bike as well?

No, I have never had to pay a "fine" a you describe it, I have had to pay a legitimate fine at a police station.

No, I don't (but can) ride a bike.  Why?

• Sad 1