French Man Arrested for Reckless Riding on Doi Suthep

Georgealbert

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Okay this is some progress, but the question that comes to mind is why wasn't he caught in the act? Why isn't the highway patrol ever doing their job?

Why do they utterly refuse to patrol the highways, and thereby ensure the safety of the public? Why are they so spectacularly useless? 

Why doesn't anybody do anything about it? Everybody knows how bad the situation is on the highway, so you would think the first place you would start would be to ensure that the highway patrol actually patrols the highway. Doesn't that make sense?

Oh, I'm so sorry for using common sense and logic again. 

Your posts are mainly commonsensical. Shame you occasionally stray into politics, then they tend to become nonsensical.

• Agree 1

Just another stupid man, who thought he was being funny, and brave by not wearing a helmet.

If you do not have a valid license either, just proves the stupidity.  My last visit to Thailand last year,

i saw many foreigners with no helmets on motor bike, what a bunch of morons.

I hope this guy had to pay a big fine for his foolishness.

1 hour ago, SS1 said:

What about all the reckless Thai drivers driving there every day? 

That guy is an idiot, but getting arrested is ridiculous when the locals are 100% ignored. I can ride up Doi Suthep any day and guarantee I'll get cut off by at least 4 red trucks or vans who cut across the 2 lanes in the corners. 

There could be a difference between Reckless driving and that every day mentioned lack of driving skills & awareness by the locals

1 hour ago, twizzian said:

There could be a difference between Reckless driving and that every day mentioned lack of driving skills & awareness by the locals

Using two lanes like a single lane on a twisty mountain road is quite the definition of reckless driving though. 

7 minutes ago, Rich426 said:

It makes me laugh that he's getting done with reckless driving. Why aren't 95% of thais on the road charged with this as their driving is constantly reckless??

Agreed - but that doesn’t mean the Frenchman’s reckless riding should be ignored…. 

I see people riding / driving with reckless abandonment of common sense & basic safety all the time….  The Police if course and ignore so much.

If we see this reckless driving behaviour on a daily basis, so do the police… 

Edited by richard_smith237

10 hours ago, QPRFC said:

I'm surprised that 'they' know how to recognise reckless riding! 

Hmm, When a Farang is doing it they recognize it !! Must be the smell of money !?

8 hours ago, Classic Ray said:
  9 hours ago, creative1000 said:

The road up Doi Suthep is not a highway.

8 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

In UK, could be defined as a highway “A highway is any public or private road or other public way on land. It includes not just major roads, but also other public roads and rights of way. 

I appreciate in US there is a different definition.

The definition of a highway in the US is not so different at all. Most Americans seem to have the idea that a highway is only a major road like the freeways that connect cities, with no traffic lights. They (we) will also consider some major roads with traffic lights as highways too, but normally we'd never refer to a city street or residential road as a highway, even though, technically, it is. The colloquial usage is not in line with the proper definition. I learned that from a policeman when I was a little kid and never forgot it.
Just in case any of my fellow countrymen beg to differ... here is the definition that the Federal Highway Administration uses - from Title 23 United States Code, Section 101 "Definitions and declaration of policy."
(11) Highway. - The term "highway" includes -
(A) a road, street, and parkway;
(B) a right-of-way, bridge, railroad-highway crossing, tunnel, drainage
structure including public roads on dams, sign, guardrail, and protective structure, in
connection with a highway; and
(C) a portion of any interstate or international bridge or tunnel and the
approaches thereto, the cost of which is assumed by a State transportation department,
including such facilities as may be required by the United States Customs and
Immigration Services in connection with the operation of an international bridge or
tunnel.