31-Year-Old Man Dies After Motorcycle Crash Caused by Pothole in Samut Prakan

Georgealbert

IMG_7150.jpeg

A 31-year-old man tragically lost his life after his motorcycle hit a pothole on Sukhumvit Road, causing him to lose control and fall, hitting his head on the road. The incident occurred near the entrance to Municipal School 1 in Pak Nam Subdistrict, Mueang District, Samut Prakan.

At approximately 20:30 on October 22, local police from Mueang Samut Prakan Police Station responded to reports of a crash. Upon arrival, rescue teams found Mr. Itthipol Am-yim lying motionless in the middle of the road. He had sustained multiple scrapes on his body and a head injury. Despite efforts by paramedics to perform CPR at the scene, he was rushed to Paolo Samut Prakan Hospital, where he later succumbed to his injuries.

Nearby, the man’s blue Honda Click motorcycle, license plate from Bangkok, was found with minor damage. The cause of the accident was a pothole in the road, approximately 80 centimetres wide and 10 centimetres deep. Local authorities have since filled the pothole with asphalt to prevent further accidents.

Mr. Nakarin Rattanaprapas, a rescue officer at Samut Prakan Municipality, explained that the initial report indicated a motorbike crash near Black Market. Upon arrival, they found the victim unconscious and without a pulse. The man had fallen face-down after his motorcycle hit the pothole. Paramedics attempted CPR before transporting him to the hospital, but he did not survive.

Eyewitnesses confirmed that the motorcycle lost control after hitting the pothole, leading to the fatal accident. Authorities are continuing their investigation into the incident.

Pictures courtesy of Kaoded.

IMG_7152.jpeg

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-10-22

news-footer-2.png

image.png

• Sad 3

Between the road construction and rains in Chiang Mai, I've had to repair my motorbike three times in the last two months just because of the damage from hitting the numerous potholes that keep popping up... or should I say down. Some are big enough to do serious damage if you hit them, and with the busy roads from three lanes of cars merging down to one in so many places, you can't even see the potholes before you're on top of them, and then there's no room to avoid them because of the crush of other vehicles!

One would think a little police presence at some of these construction sites might reduce the chaos...

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Georgealbert said:

The cause of the accident was a pothole in the road

No

If the rider would have paid attention, then he would have avoided the bad road.

Sure, it's bad when the road is bad. And this is why people should ride and drive not too fast and pay attention.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

No

If the rider would have paid attention, then he would have avoided the bad road.

Sure, it's bad when the road is bad. And this is why people should ride and drive not too fast and pay attention.

My thought too. And... did he wear a helmet?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

No

But would eventually happen to someone else until the pothole got fixed. I must not have lived in thailand long enough to understand your logic

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If you watch the video you will see that it is a very busy road, trucks, buses, lots of swiftly flowing traffic. It is not always easy to swerve. 
plus it was a nasty pothole 

RIP Ittiphol

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, mdr224 said:

But would eventually happen to someone else until the pothole got fixed. I must not have lived in thailand long enough to understand your logic

Ok, maybe a picture will explain this to you. If you would ride on the road in the picture below, do you think you would die because of a pothole? Or do you think you would ride slowly? 

Anybody in Thailand knows that many roads are bad. Potholes and other problems are the rule and not the exception. For that reason, it makes sense to ride not too fast and pay attention. It's not really that difficult. 

potholes_2.jpg

56 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

If you watch the video you will see that it is a very busy road, trucks, buses, lots of swiftly flowing traffic. It is not always easy to swerve. 
plus it was a nasty pothole 

RIP Ittiphol

We all have the choice. A long time ago I rode on Bangna Trat road. It was horrible, that's why I never did that again.

And if I would do it again, I would ride very carefully.

It like the quote from Alfred Wainwright “There's no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing.”